Is this cultural appropriation?

If a girl that is not Asian were to participate in a traditional dance such as "Chinese Fan dancing" would you consider that cultural appropriation/rude?

If she finds the art form beautiful and would like to give it a shot, would she be ridiculed and would that be justified?

Fyi: I am asking because I personally do not find it rude but I don't want to be made fun of.

35

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I think it's cultural appropriation if you just keep on telling people how awesome their culture is and saying things to them that you hear on TV about them.

Like I just hate it when foreigners come to india and tell me how beautiful and dirty the country is, and greet me with a namaste. No one fucking greets anyone with a namaste here, so just stop doing that. And then they say oh, how colourful your country is. You moron, isn't your country colourful too? Damn, yo country so colourful, you got lgbtq rights and flag.

• If you compliment a culture it isn't cultural appropriation. Nor is offending the culture, that's just racism.

• If you keep complimenting the stereotype, then that's just foolishness.

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe it is "cultural integration" if you're living in China and trying to understand customs and traditions by trying the dance, otherwise it is like studying any other traditional dance of other countries in your own country, I would call it "cultural immersion", they are both okay ✔️

"Cultural appropriation" has a little different meaning...