Is this cultural appropriation?

If a girl that is not Asian were to participate in a traditional dance such as "Chinese Fan dancing" would you consider that cultural appropriation/rude?

If she finds the art form beautiful and would like to give it a shot, would she be ridiculed and would that be justified?

Fyi: I am asking because I personally do not find it rude but I don't want to be made fun of.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I think it's cultural appropriation if you just keep on telling people how awesome their culture is and saying things to them that you hear on TV about them.

Like I just hate it when foreigners come to india and tell me how beautiful and dirty the country is, and greet me with a namaste. No one fucking greets anyone with a namaste here, so just stop doing that. And then they say oh, how colourful your country is. You moron, isn't your country colourful too? Damn, yo country so colourful, you got lgbtq rights and flag.

0|0
    0|0
    • If you compliment a culture it isn't cultural appropriation. Nor is offending the culture, that's just racism.

• If you keep complimenting the stereotype, then that's just foolishness.

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe it is "cultural integration" if you're living in China and trying to understand customs and traditions by trying the dance, otherwise it is like studying any other traditional dance of other countries in your own country, I would call it "cultural immersion", they are both okay ✔️

"Cultural appropriation" has a little different meaning...

2|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• Cultural Appropriation is fine and normal. If you are uptight that your "culture was appropriated", grow up and get over it. Especially if you live in the USA which is the way it is BECAUSE of "cultural appropriation" which was originally called the less bullshit name of "assimilation". That is what made America great.

0|1
    1|0
  • It's like if someone judged me for eating fast food because I'm American. Sounds ridiculous right? Same thing applies here, if it's something you enjoy, why would anyone judge you?

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't worry about it- it's not wrong to like an art form that was pioneered by others. Imitation is the greatest flattery. If you have no I'll intent, you're absolutely not in the wrong, and even if you are a white person doing some Chinese fan dancing or a Mexican singing Irish sea shanties, chances are you'll not offend anyone who might have reason to be offended. I wouldn't think that someone was making fun of my art if they tried to make something in my style- I'd feel all nice in my heart that they would want to be like me, and I'd feel better about myself, then charge them money for lessons.

Also, mixing cultures is absolutely cute. Non-Chinese girls doing Chinese fan dancing, non-American girls singing Jazz Standards, that's cute. Maybe because you can always be sure that they're doing it because they really love what they're doing, maybe because it's a bit unusual. I don't know for sure, but I find it attractive.

1|0
    0|0
  • Cultural appro... Haha you believe that shit is real? Haha do what the fuck you want if they say you can't do it just accuse them of being racist

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• No. Cultural appropriation occurs when people take things from marginalised cultures for their own benefit, not in appreciation or respect.

2|0
    0|0
  • It's only bad with done without giving credit and without respect for the culture it came from.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes