What do you think of the Indian movie Padmavat?

This is a movie that glorifies an Indian tradition of women burning themselves alive whenever an enemy is about to win and take over.
The ending scene (OBVIOUS SPOILERS) shows the women going into the fire happily.
The movie was a huge hit in several countries and you can still see it in US cinemas that screen Indian movies.
Note that this is from the same culture that brought us Sati (Burning a wife alive when her husband dies) and Honor Killing (originated in India with Hinduism but wrongly associated with Islam by both extremist Muslims and anti-Muslims).
Why are no western feminists protesting this?
http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2018/01/24/for-these-rajput-women-padmavati-is-now-a-curse_a_23342945/?utm_hp_ref=in-padmavati
http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2018/02/02/the-conflicted-world-of-the-rajput-women-who-wanted-to-jump-into-a-fire-for-rani-padmini_a_23347256/?utm_hp_ref=in-padmavati

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 1

• I am sorry to say this but majority people don't know the difference between SATI and JAUHAR so commenting on stuff just like that isn't really a smart thing to do. Sati is when a woman immolates herself on her husband's pyre. The theory was that their is no meaning in a woman's life after her husband's death especially if she has no children she is seen as a burden.
    At first it was voluntary and later it became a forced practice.

On the other hand Jauhar was when a women took their lives voluntarily by burning themselves to prevent being captured by the enemy. Now obviously in today's day and age women don't commit jauhar because of the kind of society we live in today (fortunately) but the situation in the past was totally different.
    Also, yes we are proud of our heritage and no one is glorifying sati so my message to all those who say that sati is being glorified in Padmavat kindly educate yourself.

0|0
    0|0
    • I know they are different things but you have to agree that there is a common thread in both cases that naturally leads to honor killing, they aren't the same but they have the same root cause.
      Being captured by an enemy is so horrible you should kill yourself? seriously?
      Now think back to partition: women on both sides DID in fact kill themselves or were killed by their own family lest those dirty Hindus/Sikhs/Muslims touch them, that wasn't jauhar but it stemmed from the same mentality. For some reason "honor" was more important than life and somehow a woman's sexuality is the matter of "honor" of the entire family be they Hindu, Sikh or Muslim.
      None of this has to do with anything to do with religion and everything to do with a culture that would deem it ok to glorify Padmavati in this day and age to make a cheap, pseudo-feminist 300 knockoff.

• Show All
    • What do you mean "suddenly realizing"? I think that might have been the point of the original poem as it was written by a Muslim, I assume he was trying to discredit the hindu rulers as barbaric.
      And of course they didn't enjoy burning themselves as the movie showed, I imagine they were under immense pressure from the Rajput royalty to do so. And once again, I reiterate, I am a Muslim Rajput myself. What happened to that "honor" when my side of that family converted to the "enemy's" religion?
      Lastly, there is a logical link between jauhar to honor killing. How can you not see it? Jauhar: "enemy must not touch 'my' women", honor killing: "no one must touch 'my' woman unless I approve it" where "my" refers not just to the men but to the whole family or kingdom.
      The alternative is: get captured and then escape or die trying to escape bravely.

• If they are going to be raped and tortured to death if they get captured don't u feel Jauhar is a better alternative.
      And of course the poet was trying to portray Indian rulers as barbaric because he was a Muslim. I am sorry but that's
      the truth. And rajput are far from barbaric. (I don't speak for the Karni Sena people at all)

What Guys Said 2

• Haven't seen it yet. What would you rate it?

0|0
    0|0
    • zero out of 10. Maybe lower. It is a more racist version of 300 by trailer alone.

• Show All
    • why? are you Indian? Do you actually support the practice of Sati, Honor Killing and Juhar? Or the butcher Modi?

• Yeah, I am. I don't support them but, I can't judge a movie 0/10 without seeing it

• It was a different time. Women were nothing more than a vagina and a childbearing machine. Times have changed. The community that is shown in that movie is a Rajasthani one and to this day most of the married women have to cover their head in front of elders and others. Not all though, but some.

No one does a jauhar nowadays and sati was prohibited a 100 years ago. Honour killing is complete shit and true. Child marriages are prevalent still in the rural area, especially the north and the west part of india. Women are not allowed to be educated still in certain states in the north. Female child feticide is still very high. The sex ratio is shitty in many states, yet it's becoming better. Dowry is a huge reason for suicide amongst the married women.

Protest these things, not the things that were done 500 years ago. And it's not the job of only feminist to do that, but us, as a whole society.

0|0
    0|0
    • I know they are Rajput to be precise. I am actually a Muslim Pakistani Rajput myself. I am surprized Pakistan didn't ban this grabage. But among everything else (Khilji's portrayal), I am pissed at the ending.
      A lot of people were talking about the ending of 13 Reasons Why because SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS it showed the sucide as peaceful. That was nothing compared to what this movie showed. They throw burning coal at Khilji in full metal armor and correctly show its painful effects, yet 5 minutes later they show these women jumping into the fire with a smile on their face and no indication of pain. The point being that they glorify the practice of Juhar and by extension Honor Killing that I believe was derived from that.
      I am not protesting something that happened 500 years ago, I am protesting the praise of the origin of Honor Killing.

• Show All
    • @NarayaniRanawat courage would be to endure being captives or freeing themselves. Jauhar is nothing to be celebrated.

• We have contradicting opinions. So I guess nothing I could say would make u think otherwise.

Recommended myTakes