What do you think of the Indian movie Padmavat?

This is a movie that glorifies an Indian tradition of women burning themselves alive whenever an enemy is about to win and take over.
The ending scene (OBVIOUS SPOILERS) shows the women going into the fire happily.
The movie was a huge hit in several countries and you can still see it in US cinemas that screen Indian movies.
Note that this is from the same culture that brought us Sati (Burning a wife alive when her husband dies) and Honor Killing (originated in India with Hinduism but wrongly associated with Islam by both extremist Muslims and anti-Muslims).
Why are no western feminists protesting this?
http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2018/01/24/for-these-rajput-women-padmavati-is-now-a-curse_a_23342945/?utm_hp_ref=in-padmavati
http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2018/02/02/the-conflicted-world-of-the-rajput-women-who-wanted-to-jump-into-a-fire-for-rani-padmini_a_23347256/?utm_hp_ref=in-padmavati

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 0

Be the first girl to share an opinion
and earn 1 more Xper point!

What Guys Said 2

• Haven't seen it yet. What would you rate it?

0|0
    0|0
    • zero out of 10. Maybe lower. It is a more racist version of 300 by trailer alone.

• Show All
    • why? are you Indian? Do you actually support the practice of Sati, Honor Killing and Juhar? Or the butcher Modi?

• Yeah, I am. I don't support them but, I can't judge a movie 0/10 without seeing it

• It was a different time. Women were nothing more than a vagina and a childbearing machine. Times have changed. The community that is shown in that movie is a Rajasthani one and to this day most of the married women have to cover their head in front of elders and others. Not all though, but some.

No one does a jauhar nowadays and sati was prohibited a 100 years ago. Honour killing is complete shit and true. Child marriages are prevalent still in the rural area, especially the north and the west part of india. Women are not allowed to be educated still in certain states in the north. Female child feticide is still very high. The sex ratio is shitty in many states, yet it's becoming better. Dowry is a huge reason for suicide amongst the married women.

Protest these things, not the things that were done 500 years ago. And it's not the job of only feminist to do that, but us, as a whole society.

0|0
    0|0
    • I know they are Rajput to be precise. I am actually a Muslim Pakistani Rajput myself. I am surprized Pakistan didn't ban this grabage. But among everything else (Khilji's portrayal), I am pissed at the ending.
      A lot of people were talking about the ending of 13 Reasons Why because SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS it showed the sucide as peaceful. That was nothing compared to what this movie showed. They throw burning coal at Khilji in full metal armor and correctly show its painful effects, yet 5 minutes later they show these women jumping into the fire with a smile on their face and no indication of pain. The point being that they glorify the practice of Juhar and by extension Honor Killing that I believe was derived from that.
      I am not protesting something that happened 500 years ago, I am protesting the praise of the origin of Honor Killing.

Recommended myTakes