Violence in video games: GTA 5 torture mission: Was the controversy justified?

When Grand Theft Auto 5 came out years ago (yes I know this whole thing is old news but humour me) a particular mission in the game involved the player being forced to actively torture a non-playable character through a unskippable cut scene.

here's a taste, there more which I won't post, only 40 seconds

The mission was cited by critics to be political commentary on American government's use of torture for political gain.

Critics/reviewers were concerned the game crossed the boundaries of taste and decency with this mission.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-16-is-the-most-disturbing-scene-in-gta5-justified

What are your thoughts? Do you think the backlash was justified or is this more or less, run of the mill video game violence?

please explain your answer and why

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I watched an extended version. This why I never liked GTA, I feel it goes too far.
    But if you watch more, you will see there's a hidden political message, trying to show that torture is an ineffective method for getting information, but I'm not gonna get too off topic.
    But I can't really form an opinion without knowing the whole storyline. Maybe the torturee was a bad guy himself.
    Some of the comments disturbed me. Some guys were boasting about how they killed the gut by crushing his balls, and were proud of it.
    I think that was disturbing. It's different seeing it in a movie, then actually playing it out in a game. It felt too real even just watching it.
    But any normal person will be able to draw the line between fiction and reality.

But this is exactly why I never liked GTA. Because of stuff like this. The games depict women as whites, and feature highly graphic scenes of violence. But there's a reason it's rated MA, but some people might enjoy it too much. I personally think the creators of these games are sick people.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 2

• Only because you play this kind of games doesn't mean you are violent irl, maybe kids can get influenced by such things unlike mature adults who know how not to cross the line
    Well its just a game, if you are violent person and you play such games, doesn't mean your violence is caused by the game its more likely something deeper because kind and mature people don't let get influenced by some game, sounds like excuse to me
    But I believe those games are too

0|2
    0|0
    • Violet for me or at least I don't enjoy them, not all games
      But its stupid to avoid the fact violence exist like some people do, lets face reality

• You see? This is what I was talking about. You say stuff like this, than you're surprised when I tell you that you're really smart.

• Probably the latter, video game violence has been a discussion for ages. Personally I don't play GTA for this exact reason... GTA in a nutshell:
    - illegal driving
    - females are always whores
    - uncalled for violance

Each their own, I'm not judging people who play this don't get me wrong. But having to torture a NPC like that makes my moral zoomer go off, I couldn't do it. But that's not just in GTA, in tomb raider I feel like an asshole for killing humans/animals as well. But if the governement complains about torture then they should complain about hunting games, fps, the sims (for making your sims starve to death) etc. Not just pick one game and vomit on it.

0|3
    0|0
    • I agree with you. I feel they go to far.
      The illegal driving isn't a big deal, but I felt there's s lot of unnecessary violence and objectification of women.
      I never liked GTA.

What Guys Said 15

• That was a very specifically anti-torture scene done by a psychotic character that is not glorified as a role model. He goes on a big spiel about how torture is just sadism & how it doesn't work. The torture in itself doesn't obtain any useful information.

0|2
    0|0
  • We're talking about GTA here, yea? Where controversy is literally the entire point of the storylines?

I wouldn't chalk it up to "standard-issue videogame violence." But still, if you don't want this sort of thing in games, you might as well ban the whole series..
    .. which will then give other people an excuse to ban other series..
    .. other series which may or may not be NEARLY as bad as GTA.

You see where the problem here is, right?

0|1
    0|0
  • Nah. I'm playing violent videogames since I'm 6 or 7. Never killed anyone. And people didn't wait videogames to murder each other.
    That scene was justified in the scenario, and fitted well with Trevor's personality. It was another example of his madness.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not sure how it's any different from the many, many torture scenes depicted in films and on TV over the years. Pretty sure it wasn't the first game to feature such a scene either.

0|2
    0|0
  • It's just a game but that sort of stuff in it happens irl so let's not ignore it and pretend it doesn't happen

0|2
    0|0
  • The controversy is unfounded. Numerous studies have concluded that video games have zero correlation with violent behavior in the real world.

0|2
    0|0
  • Nothing new to me, they had the same controversy back when "The Punisher" video game was released in 2005, because that game also had a brutal interrogation system, although eventually they added a censored black and white sequence when the thug gets killed from a torture sequence, but eventually someone was going to find a way to bypass and remove the censorship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOdwOfjAyRAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxgUbk1ksRw

0|1
    0|0
  • Meh... it wasn't the worst thing but I didn't think it benefitted the story to include the scene. We already knew that Trevor was a sick pup

0|1
    0|0
  • No people just like to complain and what an outlet to blame for their child's shitty decision because they're shitty parents

0|1
    0|0
  • Video games need more violence and more sex.. Feminists and Conservatives need to fuck off.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm 14. I played through GTA 5 3 times and also played many other violent games. I'm not that stupid to kill anyone in real life.

0|1
    0|0
  • Rockstar took a potentially good game and changed it into a turd sandwich.

0|1
    0|0
  • It was funny. The game is supposed to be funny and it achieved that goal.

0|1
    0|1
  • thats not violence, lol. its just a game, people are just big pussies these days.

0|1
    0|0
  • That’s cute. Absolutely adorable! Have you played God Of War?

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes