Violence in video games: GTA 5 torture mission: Was the controversy justified?

When Grand Theft Auto 5 came out years ago (yes I know this whole thing is old news but humour me) a particular mission in the game involved the player being forced to actively torture a non-playable character through a unskippable cut scene.

here's a taste, there more which I won't post, only 40 seconds

The mission was cited by critics to be political commentary on American government's use of torture for political gain.

Critics/reviewers were concerned the game crossed the boundaries of taste and decency with this mission.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-16-is-the-most-disturbing-scene-in-gta5-justified

What are your thoughts? Do you think the backlash was justified or is this more or less, run of the mill video game violence?

please explain your answer and why

216

Most Helpful Guy

• I watched an extended version. This why I never liked GTA, I feel it goes too far.
    But if you watch more, you will see there's a hidden political message, trying to show that torture is an ineffective method for getting information, but I'm not gonna get too off topic.
    But I can't really form an opinion without knowing the whole storyline. Maybe the torturee was a bad guy himself.
    Some of the comments disturbed me. Some guys were boasting about how they killed the gut by crushing his balls, and were proud of it.
    I think that was disturbing. It's different seeing it in a movie, then actually playing it out in a game. It felt too real even just watching it.
    But any normal person will be able to draw the line between fiction and reality.

But this is exactly why I never liked GTA. Because of stuff like this. The games depict women as whites, and feature highly graphic scenes of violence. But there's a reason it's rated MA, but some people might enjoy it too much. I personally think the creators of these games are sick people.