Why is The Shape of Water nominated for an Oscar?

It's seriously nothing special... it's trying to be an artsy-fartsy movie, but in reality it's just a poor excuse for insinuating a woman had sex with a sea monster... What's up with that?

I get the whole 'minorities are in danger and the monster is the metaphor for those minorities, hence the movie is an allegory', but please... it's not an Oscar worthy movie...
Why is The Shape of Water nominated for an Oscar?

• Oscars never nominate the movies that actually deserve the reward...
    Vote A
  • It's because most of the movies of 2017 were sub-par...
    Vote B
  • It's a movie that deserves a reward for best picture!
    Vote C
  • I don't know...
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|2

Most Helpful Girl

• I actually loved this movie, a lot. Yeah the sexual undertones were awkward AF but it was emotional and conveyed so much even with her not being able to speak. The leading roles weren’t conventionally attractive and it had a depth to the supporting roles that isn’t really common in many films today which I found endearing. It was weird, but it was good

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 18

• Looked boring to me most nominations matter cause it always happens to films that are just not good and every once in a while it does get it right. It's probably just all a big event just to get you to go and buy the film to watch it not because it actaully is good

0|0
    0|0
  • They gave a lot of money to a PR campaign to woo the judges.

That's how most of the award works. They have a panel of judges and everybody knows the judges.

They will bombard the judges with all sorts of extremely personalized ads designed solely for that judge to make their movie memorable.

They will also give out freebies and perks and even college grants to make them noticable.

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you insinuating that Guillermo Del Toro isn't a motherfucking cinematic god on the level of Steven Spielberg or Francis Ford Coppola

0|0
    0|1
  • a woman had sex with a sea monster, and that movie gets nominated for an oscar.

media.giphy.com/media/3ORizZtUhUXFm/giphy.gif

0|0
    0|0
  • I belive it is kinda like the departed, that wasn't a good movie but it was more of a lifetime achievement award for Scoresese.

0|0
    0|0
  • its crap but possibly less crap than other previous winners like that awful thing about dreaming and dancing... so poor i can't even remember its name and everyone went wild for that

0|0
    0|0
  • Oscar is about how many gays are in the movie or blacks or jews or etc..

1|2
    2|1
  • Name ONE Oscar winning film that was actually good.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not sub-par, it's actually quite good. I admit I don't agree with a Best Picture nomination, but it's very solid.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never saw it but it sounds like it's legitimizing bestiality

0|1
    1|0
  • Without having seen it I swear it's a spinoff from hell boy

0|0
    0|0
    • The sea creatures is the guy who played Abraham from Hell boy. Lol

• And it's wrote and directed by del Toro.

• I didn't see it but I could tell from the trailer it was horrible

0|0
    0|0
  • I have no idea why the revenant won to this day. Its nothing special about it.

0|0
    0|0
    • It had great camera work but it was SO boring. I felt like they just dragged decaprio around the whole time

• It was a interesting movie yes, but so boring. I learned nothing new that I already know about that time and that person

• Winning a Oscar for saying 10 lines. Participation trophy at its finest.

• I have never seen a trailer for this movie so I have no clue

0|0
    0|0
  • because the Oscars loves crap like that

0|0
    0|0
  • I didn't see it. Did she have sex with Mer-man?

0|0
    0|0
  • illuminate cloning and many more things thats why

0|0
    0|0
  • The award shows are about marketing.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• The Oscars are now just an excuse for celebrities to get all dressed up and talk about who they are wearing. Then give BS speeches about how much people who don't do anything for the world made all their dreams come true.
    Just another Gladiator show to distract the masses from the real world

3|4
    0|0
  • The Oscar's recently have had such bad awards. I mean. The boss baby is up for nomination. When you have other animated movies. Like Your Name that deserve more attention <3

0|0
    0|0
  • It's also facing a copyright infringement lawsuit, so, it might be stolen mediocrity...
    www.latimes.com/.../...lawsuit-20180226-story.html

disclaimer: I haven't seen this and it really doesn't look that exciting enough to watch
    sidenote: I don't see anything wrong with the Oscars XD pretty much all fields have awards presented each year. Movies are incredibly popular and can engage a lot of people way easier than say architecture or interior design XD I never got the whole party poopers, the disinterested sure : p but haters... wha? just a televised awards show

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes