Why is The Shape of Water nominated for an Oscar?

It's seriously nothing special... it's trying to be an artsy-fartsy movie, but in reality it's just a poor excuse for insinuating a woman had sex with a sea monster... What's up with that?

I get the whole 'minorities are in danger and the monster is the metaphor for those minorities, hence the movie is an allegory', but please... it's not an Oscar worthy movie...

• Oscars never nominate the movies that actually deserve the reward...
  • It's because most of the movies of 2017 were sub-par...
  • It's a movie that deserves a reward for best picture!
    Vote C
  • I don't know...
    Vote D

418

Most Helpful Girl

• I actually loved this movie, a lot. Yeah the sexual undertones were awkward AF but it was emotional and conveyed so much even with her not being able to speak. The leading roles weren’t conventionally attractive and it had a depth to the supporting roles that isn’t really common in many films today which I found endearing. It was weird, but it was good