Why do we always stereotype classical music with rich white people?

I've always noticed when it comes to classical music they usually stereotype Their audience as being rich white people and not everybody can enjoy it or understand it.
Updates:
https://youtu.be/0ouMaLRth-s
At least this tries to make classical music fun

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It wasn't a stereotype in the history, it was a fact. Music like that was for those who could afford it.

0|1
    0|0
    • I can't imagine it would be any more expensive than going to a Elton John or Paul McCartney concert

• Yea but at that time most people in Britain France America and a few other country’s the masses were poor and could nearly get by pay check to paycheque living with 10 people in 1 room was the norm. So the only people who could afford to go to concerts and listen to music were rich people and in western countries whites were the only rich could afford to relax

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, Classical music refers to a style dominated by Italy, France, and German-speaking regions between 1700's and 1800's so that would explain why it seems as if it's a rich white folk arena. Class tensions were high at that time and the Classical music that people refer to came out of Western Europe which was full of white people.

Arabs have their own classical music but you'd have to specify that type directly rather than just say "classical".

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 10

• Classical music is more accessible to those with money. I get to stay up late and love watching last night of the proms with my mum, and who could not love 'Can you hear the people sing' or dreamed a dream' from Les Mis? More classical music should be on tv and in film - accessible to the masses.

0|1
    0|2
    • It's 2018 for god sakes. Music doesn't get more accessible than the push of a button

• @stuntbrain Hi stuntbrain. My point was young people aren't encouraged to go find classical music even if to find it they do only have to press a button. It should be everywhere - like the strings used in Tinchy Styder's Number 1. It should be played in school assemblies and on bus stations... everywhere!

• Because back then only the upper class was allowed in the music halls. The socialites and politicians, etc.
    The working class was seen as inferior and filthy therefore was banned from such places.

0|3
    0|1
  • Because most of what we commonly recognise as classical music comes from Europe such as Beethoven and Mozart but is perceived to only be enjoyed and appreciated by the upper classes not always true of course but no smoke without fire

0|2
    0|0
    • Yes I think the stereotype goes back to the days when classical music started. Probably only those near the upper classes got to attend performances. Today anyone can listen to it and get into it. Among those I know who perform in orchestras, I only know one person who is well to do. Others come from average families whose parents had their child take music lessons early on.

• Show All
    • Same here... Middle class and up. Middle class of course doesn't necessarily mean "rich" like the stereotype... LOL

• No not rich but educated they don't play Beethoven at my school nor have ballet classes

• I think it's more of they correlate it to the ballet and operas and such, and a lot of people connect that to having to dressing to the 9s and having money. Not always so but Broadway is not cheap

0|1
    0|0
  • Because it is caucasion music , hip hop is black people music meaning classical was created by white people and hip hop was created by black people

0|1
    0|0
    • Black people also helped create classical music. Whites contributed to hip hop as well.

• I don't know cause I bump the heck out Beethoven in the car.

1|1
    0|0
  • It's relaxing, there's no rock'n roll, it can be conservative! :X
    UNLESS you're talking about symphonic metal... that's just the stereotype!

0|0
    0|0
  • hmm, probably because they used to be the ones listening to it

0|1
    0|0
  • Because majority of performers are rich and Caucasian.

0|0
    0|0
  • Who knows?

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• 1- classical music was made in Europe
    2- colonization happened, with European societies, therefore, the very rich were generall white and listened to classical music
    3- most other races in colonized countries, or countries like America, with slaves, were poor and disenfranchised

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah it just seems like it’s for rich educated people with taste but anyone can enjoy it. Funny thing but remember when the first cd players came out classical music was the only music you could buy on CD at the time and those players were $1000 at the time so another reason why it’s associated for the rich

0|1
    0|0
  • I can't say that I have ever really heard that stero type. I think that more people confuse opera, symphony and conceret as all being the same. My favorate is Mozats Piano Concerto # 21 in C minor. But my favorite music is closer to Beach Boys and that era.

0|1
    0|0
  • I used to teach Elementary school and I was the one who came from an upper middle class family. I never went to the symphony until I began working at that school. Many of my colleagues came from working class backgrounds, but most of us loved to attend the symphony every year. It was part of music grade for the kiddos. One teacher didn't enjoy it, but he was no simpleton. He was very articulate and a solid writer as well.

0|1
    0|0
  • I guess many people do.

But at the age of 14, I heard Cantata 140 for the first time.. It literally stopped me in my tracks. But for some reason my teacher started with the 4th movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkSK9tEUTxU

0|0
    0|0
  • Peasants couldnt afford to go into concert halls for this music.

1|2
    0|0
  • Classical music has this effect on people. I'm white and if I just keep listening, maybe I'll be rich

0|1
    0|0
  • Because historically only rich white people would attend, listen and make classical music

0|2
    0|0
  • Maybe because there are no new classical musicians anymore? It's not s popular topic anymore.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah I've always wondered that too... But apparently classical music is elegant... And refined..

0|1
    0|0
  • Because only them could afford it back than. And there's a dress code

0|0
    0|0
  • Blame history.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know exactly why but it happens

0|1
    0|0
  • Bc rap is for blacks, salsa is for Mexicans.

0|2
    1|0

Recommended myTakes