Girl gamers: Don’t you hate it when people refer to you as “dude” or “brother” in video games?

This literally happens to me 24/7, even if I’m using a female heroes. I’m aware that guys use female characters as well but I hate when they refer to their whole group as if they were all male

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• No. The social construct is a culmination of 2 major factors:

1) gaming is viewed as a primarily male centric pass time
    2) gaming is very informal.

Would you rather they called you "Madame [username]"?

3|0
    1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 6

• Chances are most of the time they are male, gotta hedge your bets.
    Besides I bet the number of women who wished guys thought they were guys online, greatly outnumber the ones who want to be noticed as a girl

1|0
    2|0
    • False.
      I wanna be recognized as a girl lmao

• Show All
    • Gaming isn't male dominated? Jeez this post has been a train wreck from start to finish

• I said it’s not FEMALE dominated.
      Are people here dyslexic? Or something?

• ya but bro... seriously dude
    girls call me dude... like that's worse
    so manly, might as well sit with your legs open...

ewww

0|1
    2|0
    • Um... not really. “Dude” is pretty unisex but only if it’s between female to male or male to male. When a MALE calls a FEMALE “dude” (when they’re strangers)- that’s weird

• hahah it's kinda cool...
      I like it

I love calling girls dude 😂 or bro LOL
      what else do we call you? girl?

actually sometimes I call her dudette

• Lol “bud” and “girl” are nice. :)

• I call everyone dude online I never had anyone (male or female) say they had a problem with it I'd like to know what girls would prefer so I don't offend anyone later on

3|0
    0|0
  • No chill

1|0
    2|0
  • Lol too funny I see it happen too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well how are they supposed to know? Most gamers are guys and certainly the vocal ones are guys.

Plus half the time people refer to people by their character's gender, not the player's.

1|0
    0|0
    • My character’s gender is always female. They still think I’m a guy.

• Show All
    • A lot of streamers (thank goodness) are now referring to female heroes as “she”. I bet $100 that women appreciate that more than men think. Just because there are generally more males than females in games doesn’t mean you have to refer to even the female heroes as “he”. That’s dumb.

• It's reflexive. Some of the time people call female heroes "he" some of the time because sometimes they're thinking more about the player than the character. It's interchangeable. I know people I've played with and I myself have referred to the same player playing the same character in the same game as "he" one minute and "she" the next. There's a lot of overlap between player and character in that abstract space. It makes sense to refer to female character a "he" if you're actually referring to the player. But I think it's normal to say whatever they reflexively want to use in the moment.

What Girls Said 19

• I absolutely hate it. Or when they first meet me the automatically assume Im a dude and call me Ali instead of Alli. Its so frustrating.

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't care about dude but I will flip if they call me brother or even worse and cringeworthy "bro"

3|0
    0|0
    • They do that to me all the time lmao and I’m like “I’m a girl.”

I don’t get why it’s so shocking to find a female gamer lmao it’s like every girl I know plays at least one video game 😂😂

• Right? 😂 They act as if we're so rare but we really aren't 😂

• I don't care enough to get upset over something like that. Usually if they refer to their whole group as if they were all male and I were in it. I'd react more like "Oh ok, leaving me out is always nice" sarcastically.

2|0
    0|0
  • Nah. Most gamers are guys so it would be normal to refer to everyone as a dude. I don't see a problem with it

2|0
    2|0
  • Brother, yes. Dude, no, since I call everyone dude anyway and don't mind it being used for me.

3|0
    0|0
  • Couldn't care less.
    Most of the time people refer to your character's gender, so unless your username contains "miss" "mrs" "princess" or something like that, if you play a male character they're most likely gonna refer to you as if you were a guy

0|0
    0|0
    • I always play a female character and they still think I’m a dude lmao... cus guys sometimes use female heroes

• That's because the vast majority of gamers are guys. How are they supposed to know that you're a girl, unless it's in your username?

• Because it’s not like 99.99% of gamers are guys. It’s around 60/40. Lmao but whatever

• nope. because I use the word Dude with everyone. not brother though. brother is kinda weird I think

2|0
    0|0
  • No I don't really care, I call girls dude and bro so I think it's fine and I'd rather that then rude names

2|0
    0|0
  • Lol it is annoying but I use the opposite when they call me "dude" or "brother" i. e sister and girl lol and they don't say anything tho, we just talk as normal.

1|0
    0|0
  • Eh, I don't care as long as they aren't calling me baby and all that.

3|0
    0|0
  • They think you are a guy, and that's better anyways, less if your team shooting you in the back and trying to make it look like they are tag teaming your corpse 👍

0|0
    0|0
  • No not really, especially since it’s become a relatively general term to address someone. Gender not really mattering.

2|0
    0|0
  • No, dude is a universal term. As for brother... That wouldn’t be the ideal

0|0
    0|0
  • I actually don't mind it. I get really into the game either way and I joke around with them.

1|0
    0|0
  • Oh god yes

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah dude. Fucking hate that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I know people do that to me

0|0
    0|0
  • Meh I don’t really care. I call people “man” or “dude” all the time, even my girl friends. The same way I call everyone “girl”... example:
    “Whatever, dude.”
    “You’re right, man!”
    “GIRL what are you doing”
    No one really comments on it

0|0
    0|0
  • The only thing I don’t like is if people start flirting with me. Also I have my name jess in my username and they all assume I’m Jesse (guy way of spelling) instead of Jessica.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes