Diversity/Inclusion Portrayed in Entertainment... Forced or Not?

Im ready for this to get heated cause people no longer are able to have civil discussions.

It's easier to shout racist or sexist at something with no evidence. So hopefully I find at least some with well reasoned opinion.

My view is this. I have 0 problems with minority's (including homosexuals) portrayed in media. I have 0 problems with them in general. I care for all races and sexuality. I don't support any violence or hate toward them. Keep that in mind those who want to scream racist.

The thing I want to discuss is wether media has been forcing in minoritys or gays or lesbians into media. Trying to be more "inclusive" and sometimes. To me at least sometimes doing more harm than good to the idea of equal representation.

It's like this. If there's a movie about normal people and society etc. I expect there will be whites. Blacks. Gays. Lesbians. Asian etc. Since we very mixed. But now say there's a movie set in medieval Europe. And there's equal amount of blacks and Asians and gays in a town. This bothers me. Of course those races still existed and sure there is a chance there might of been a small few in that town. But there becomes a point realism gets put to the side for inclusiveness. And this is a problem for me.

If movie set in African video. I expect to see little to not white people. Unless they part of story.. If movie set in China. I expect to see little to no black people unless part of story or tourist or something. If set in 70s or 60s in some towns or countries. I don't expect to see gays or lesbians walking around casually and being open about their sexuality. I guess my main point is. Im all for different races and types of people to be in film. But don't forgo realism (if meant to be realistic) just to be inclusive.

A recent example of where this is an issue is in game Kingdom Come Deliverance... Look it up. The complaints for inclusion completely ruin the purpose of game.

What are your opinions? Diversity/Inclusion Portrayed in Entertainment...Forced or Not??

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's forced, but to get equilibrium it has to be. Change requires force.

1|0
    0|2
    • I agree to a certain extent. In a certain way yes they need to force change til people no longer feel the need to comment about this many Asians or gays or blacks or at least until the majority don't comment on it. Which is why I feel being forced with everything regardless of historical accuracy or just general logic damages this "change" cause more. Cause you don't want it to stand out. Where you can point. Look there's a white person in Africa or hey look there's an Asian in England. No doubt some of those races live there. Forcing too many will lead to them being pointed. Instead of just part of the world

• Oh I agree. It's counter productive at times. It is flawed. Humans are flawed. They can't execute anything right most days. 😃 If they did it perfectly every time it would look more like a sine wave with ebb and flow until it equalled out. But it's not so it looks like the receiving end of Neegans bat Lucille sometimes.

Most Helpful Girl

• Anyone acting like diversity is inherently a political statement or "sjw bullshit" are so fucking stupid like… thats just how the world is. its almost like the real world is diverse and that its unnatural for media to not reflect this… like these people literally get mad about female protagonists, gay protagonists or protagonists of color bc its “political correctness gone too far” like I don't know how to explain to you that poc, lgbt people and women existing isn't political correctness its just life dude

0|0
    0|0
    • I dont think you read my description. I completely acknowledged this and didn't complain about it once lol lmao 😂 I even said in some movies I expect to see mixed cast and races and sexuality etc that is not even what this question is about love. Im refering to movies that want to be historically accurate. And when inclusion for the sake of inclusion breaks that accuracy. That's an issue for me.

• Show All
    • There's certain contexts where things are shown realistically and people actually think it's pandering and that's the shit that has me rolling my eyes.

• That's true. But just as their were diverse towns. There no doubt at all were very white towns or in Africa very black tribes. Just cause diversity existed in one town. Doesn't mean all had it to the same degree. And say a town existed that had only whites. And the story is set in that town. Having only whites is not racist. It's accurate. If it Portrayed a mixed town. Then there would be variety. Kingdom come is set in Bohemia in Medieval time. And if you do research there were little to no Africans in the towns. They will of existed. Possibly with slave trade. But they wouldn't of been a knight or this or that. Which is what people are saying they racist for not having

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• Of course it is forced. There's an agenda behind this trend.
    I also posted ana rticle related to this recently.

The Decline of Star Wars - A Consequence of Left Wing Politics ↗

0|1
    0|0
  • I think they have definitely been going for more diversity (saying forcing makes it sound like they are doing it when they shouldn't) which I have no problem with other than in historical context and even then I don't really care.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's forced a lot but not all the time. Nowadays you have to have diversity in movies or the liberals will start shrieking racism/sexism. So some actors who aren't that great end up in movies just to fill the diversity quota.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think my favorite so far was the BBC show about ancient Britain that included black Celts... Cause you know black Irish right? Lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I love kingdom come. As for the answer to your question... duh. It's forced harder than luke Skywalker.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have no problems with any race or if someones gay or straight. All I ask is not to push that agenda on the public.

0|0
    0|0
  • Look at how bad this has fucked up the star wars franchise?

I mean seriously, the last Jedi failed so hard.

0|0
    0|1
    • The Last Jedi sucked because Rian Jonson missed the point of the Obvious Nazi Symbolism of the First Order put there by the Jewish people in charge of TFA and tried exalting whiny neo-nazi shitlord Kylo Ren and trying to do ANYTHING to put him in the right while axing Rey, Finn, and Luke's story lines that were set up by TFA. I have my problems with JJ Abrams (... so many problems) but he can at least make some damn good set ups. The things I accept as canon from that are
      1. Rose and Finn bonded at some point (in a less stupid way than a prequels-esque casion planet)
      2. Luke taught Rey some Jedi stuff
      3. Yoda burned the Jedi books to the ground
      4. Leia is still alive
      5. The ice foxes

• It is forced.

1|0
    0|0
  • REEEEEE!!

I agree with you, nicely said.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

• The world back then had no concept of races or racism so it was very possible that there were people of all backgrounds running around across Europe. Whether it was by trade, slavery, or war Africans found their way to Spain, the Middle East, Rome etc for sure. My DNA kind of proves it. With that being said I do agree that it annoys me when a central character is changed just to appease a certain audience. Heck I even get irritated when they try to pass a Hispanic character for Mexican but he clearly has a Cuban accent.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think it’s a problem at all. There’s tons of queer people in entertainment and there have always been queer people.

I think you underestimate how much people moved around in the past. Like did you know there are groups of Jewish and Muslim Chinese people who have been in China for hundreds and hundreds of years? I sure didn’t XD So I think that these opportunities that help us break away from this “white people go here black people go over there Asian people a little further down etc” idea is really positive and a good way for us to gain a more accurate view of history

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes