Diversity/Inclusion Portrayed in Entertainment... Forced or Not?

Im ready for this to get heated cause people no longer are able to have civil discussions.

It's easier to shout racist or sexist at something with no evidence. So hopefully I find at least some with well reasoned opinion.

My view is this. I have 0 problems with minority's (including homosexuals) portrayed in media. I have 0 problems with them in general. I care for all races and sexuality. I don't support any violence or hate toward them. Keep that in mind those who want to scream racist.

The thing I want to discuss is wether media has been forcing in minoritys or gays or lesbians into media. Trying to be more "inclusive" and sometimes. To me at least sometimes doing more harm than good to the idea of equal representation.

It's like this. If there's a movie about normal people and society etc. I expect there will be whites. Blacks. Gays. Lesbians. Asian etc. Since we very mixed. But now say there's a movie set in medieval Europe. And there's equal amount of blacks and Asians and gays in a town. This bothers me. Of course those races still existed and sure there is a chance there might of been a small few in that town. But there becomes a point realism gets put to the side for inclusiveness. And this is a problem for me.

If movie set in African video. I expect to see little to not white people. Unless they part of story.. If movie set in China. I expect to see little to no black people unless part of story or tourist or something. If set in 70s or 60s in some towns or countries. I don't expect to see gays or lesbians walking around casually and being open about their sexuality. I guess my main point is. Im all for different races and types of people to be in film. But don't forgo realism (if meant to be realistic) just to be inclusive.

A recent example of where this is an issue is in game Kingdom Come Deliverance... Look it up. The complaints for inclusion completely ruin the purpose of game.

What are your opinions? Diversity/Inclusion Portrayed in Entertainment...Forced or Not??

310

Most Helpful Guy

• It's forced, but to get equilibrium it has to be. Change requires force.

• I agree to a certain extent. In a certain way yes they need to force change til people no longer feel the need to comment about this many Asians or gays or blacks or at least until the majority don't comment on it. Which is why I feel being forced with everything regardless of historical accuracy or just general logic damages this "change" cause more. Cause you don't want it to stand out. Where you can point. Look there's a white person in Africa or hey look there's an Asian in England. No doubt some of those races live there. Forcing too many will lead to them being pointed. Instead of just part of the world

• Oh I agree. It's counter productive at times. It is flawed. Humans are flawed. They can't execute anything right most days. 😃 If they did it perfectly every time it would look more like a sine wave with ebb and flow until it equalled out. But it's not so it looks like the receiving end of Neegans bat Lucille sometimes.

Most Helpful Girl

• Anyone acting like diversity is inherently a political statement or "sjw bullshit" are so fucking stupid like… thats just how the world is. its almost like the real world is diverse and that its unnatural for media to not reflect this… like these people literally get mad about female protagonists, gay protagonists or protagonists of color bc its “political correctness gone too far” like I don't know how to explain to you that poc, lgbt people and women existing isn't political correctness its just life dude

• I dont think you read my description. I completely acknowledged this and didn't complain about it once lol lmao 😂 I even said in some movies I expect to see mixed cast and races and sexuality etc that is not even what this question is about love. Im refering to movies that want to be historically accurate. And when inclusion for the sake of inclusion breaks that accuracy. That's an issue for me.

• There's certain contexts where things are shown realistically and people actually think it's pandering and that's the shit that has me rolling my eyes.

• That's true. But just as their were diverse towns. There no doubt at all were very white towns or in Africa very black tribes. Just cause diversity existed in one town. Doesn't mean all had it to the same degree. And say a town existed that had only whites. And the story is set in that town. Having only whites is not racist. It's accurate. If it Portrayed a mixed town. Then there would be variety. Kingdom come is set in Bohemia in Medieval time. And if you do research there were little to no Africans in the towns. They will of existed. Possibly with slave trade. But they wouldn't of been a knight or this or that. Which is what people are saying they racist for not having