Hunger Games (1st book/film) how does it portray a dystopian world?

Any ideas on the dystopic nature of the book/film would be great, thanks :)

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Should watch it. Film is fantastic, book I'm not sure, started it then forgot about it

1|0
    0|0
    • I have watched it and read the book too, I've got plenty of ideas but I wanted to see if anyone picked up on some other more subtle things that I hadn't noticed

Most Helpful Girl

• Why donโ€™t you read or watch it yourself and find out?

1|0
    0|0
    • My thought exactly

• Show All
    • Have you checked spark notes?

• Um no? But maybe I could do that too... :)

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• In a shit way. Brazil is better.

0|0
    0|0
  • Really you don't get that much... sigh

0|0
    0|0
    • Ugh, I have my own ideas, I asked the question because I wanted to see if anyone picked up on anything else that maybe I didn't pick up on.

So instead of acting like a smart arse, maybe consider that I asked the question to try and extend on my own knowledge... ๐Ÿ˜’.

Why do people on this site have to act out by trying to put others down by making assumptions?

• I think you're lazy and too stupid to do your own homework

• I couldn't care less what you think, bitter old man ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Are you writing a paper?

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah, but I want to have some twists in there. I have the obvious main points, but I'm looking for some subtle yet effective examples... I know I should really go back through the book myself, but I have 5 other assignments to focus on too ๐Ÿ˜ญ

• Show All
    • As a means to oppress. So now that you've a set-up for what essentially would cause mass suffering by killing children every now and then for sport which is a sociological testament to the availability and resources of the districts (and thus, reliance on the central district who does the best) you can begin to deconstruct other elements of the story.

The fact that humanity doesn't entirely condone even in the Capitol shows that the dictatorship itself already cracking and the story of Katniss enters at a point where the destabilization must have been going on for a while. Much like other forms of oppression through time it is naturally unstable and fundamentally breaks down very quickly in the long-run in modern settings. This is important as a fact because with the inherent failure arising all of the political tension is what allowed the fact that Katniss volunteered to take a serious value in the Capitol.

• Ok thank you so much, that's fabulous :) you're clearly so much better at analysing a book/film than I am ๐Ÿ™Š. I think you've given me a great starting point for my assignment along with important things that I should include. So thank you for that :)

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes