Why are female gamers referred to as "Gamer Girls"?

I personally think that there's no such thing as a Gamer Girl, and that we're all just gamers - It's not like Gamer is a gendered term, and therefore you have no need to specify the gender. But seeing people continue to refer to us as "Gamer Girls" makes me wonder - Why do people choose to specify it?

1365

Most Helpful Guy

• Gamers are gamers. Never referred anybody to being a Gamer Girl before, more have I ever heard it mentioned before.

Except perhaps from losers maybe, like it's important to let everyone know there's a real life Girl playing a video game *GASP!* And she might show us her badonkadonks or might date them... Like some mythical quest item they stumbled upon. If they get you on their side then maybe they can use your gender against their enemies by proclaiming to challenge their foes to a duel and their secret weapon will be "The Gamer Girl!!"

Their foes, never having the ability to talk to girls in their school, let alone being challenged on the game they seek refuge in, to face the possibility of being beaten, suddenly lose their focus at the sound of a girl on a mic... And lose.

To one of the rare any mysterious Gamer Girls!!!

Dun

Dun

DUUUNNNNN!!!

Ya know, despite almost half of gamers in the world ARE female and play just as much or more sometimes... It's because most females who play online tend to not say their gender or avoid using Mics because of the goons on the internet.

When one shows up, suddenly it's not about the game anymore, it's about you.

Because Boy Gamers are idiots.

Yes, I play games, and yes I'm very good at them. No I don't do the above and never have.

Why?

Because I'm a Man Gamer. 馃槑

Most Helpful Girl

• They say there's a difference between being a "Gamer Girl" and being a girl who plays video games.

The "Gamer Girl" label is primarily at this point applied to girls like in porn who don't really play the game and just try to take sexy photos and pose like they like games in order to appeal to guys and gain clout. There's actually a lot of porn where a girl "plays a game" and she's "So into the game" she's ignoring her boyfriend and he just like slips her clothes off and has sex with her while she games. I guess the point is supposed to be that it would be really hot to have a girlfriend that into gaming? And also sex.

But the thing people don't always understand is most girls who say they like games actually like games and aren't trying to seem cool in front of guys. Plenty of girls actually enjoy games. And it doesn't matter what kind of games they're playing because that's not what makes you a "real gamer"

"Oh what do you play? Facebook games?" No. But I shouldn't have to list off what I own and what I play to "prove myself"