Should Katy Perry be booted from American Idol?

So apparently Katy Perry did a big no-no and robbed a young boy of his first kiss on national television.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4083421/katy-perry-kiss-american-idol-benjamin-glaze/amp/
If this was a dude doing this to a young girl, twitter would crash from the global mob after that dude's head. So, in light of #MeToo and in the name of equality, should Katy Perry be booted from American idol and her career relegated forever to the garbage bin of Hollywood? (Or has it already been relegated there because she's on American idol? 🤔)
Your thoughts.
  • Hell ya she should, because equality
    Vote A
  • Nahhhh, let'r stay
    Vote B
  • Wait? You mean guys can be sexually harassed? Bruh, shits crazy
    Vote C
  • How is American idol still even on? Isn't it like in its 600th season? People still watch that shit?
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• You actually brung up a good point here, women celebrities often get a little bit too touchy (kiss check, lips, full hug) with minors but it is always seen as alright but if a man celebrity tried to pull the exact same moves it would be seen as inappropriate. The question is why is this? For this it is his first kiss so I voted she should but he is a 19 year old so I understand a little why the public is more understanding, he isn't a minor. I mean kissing on the check is still already pushing it but on the lips the audacity. And I voted this for him because he probably wanted to save that kiss for at least someone he will be in a relationship with like I am. I would feel violated if I was put in the same position with a 33 year old man celebrity (Katy Perry's age) even though I am 19 and legally an adult in a way.

4|6
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, often what makes the difference between okay sexual contact and sexual assault is not just consent but consent after the fact. If you grab some random woman's breasts in the street it's not sexual assault if she gives consent after the fact. If she doesn't then you're probably getting arrested. So, the same rules should apply. This guy has said that he was not comfortable with it and would have rejected the offer if he had been given the chance. As such it is sexual assault and should be taken seriously. As you have said, if this was a male judge and a young girl it would be taken seriously.

0|3
    0|0
    • A guy grabbing a woman's breasts on the street doesn't know that she'll give him consent afterwards (and he'd be delusional to assume so), so he definitely sexually assaulted her. Of course, if she is okay with it afterwards nonethelss, then obviously he can't be charged for it. But it doesn't change the fact that he did sexually assault her.

• Show All
    • @Pamina I would point out that killing another human is not sanctioned in many countries even with their consent, but I don't like to put facts in the way of your narrative ;)

• You mean facts that I explicitly agreed with from the very beginning of this debate? Okay if you're not even reading my comments properly there's no point in continuing.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 45

• Wow, the fact that show is still on bothers me.

18|12
    1|0
  • That was inappropriate.

What if he had a girlfriend or wife? If Simon did that riots would have taken to the streets, ampitheatres burned, and everyone is getting sued for "molestation."

She should be fired, itd be a healthy reality, but the femis would go crazy

3|3
    0|1
    • i agree with your first point. though i dont see why anyone would go crazy were she fired. what she did was a violation of another persons body. nothing feminist about that.

• @VIVANT

They would argue it was a harmless situation, and Katy's punishment was too extreme. It would be a form of oppression because men want women to stay conservative lol

(because fundamental conditioning is that a woman's romantic type advances aren't as threatening as a man's. Its just 'cute.')

• The kid said he didn’t like it but that he didn’t feel sexually harassed. So... no. I’m not even sure why this is a question.

3|4
    4|2
    • He said he felt uncomfortable immediately which is the big criterion for determining harassment.

• Show All
    • @thottiana

Sexual harassment is a very clearly defined legal standard in the workplace. It is basically an abuse of power where the victim feels they were being sexually harassed. Now I believe what she did was wrong but it is very clear based on the kids own words it is not sexual harassment. That’s not an opinion that is fact. The kid said “I did not feel sexually harassed” verbatim.

• If you want to talk about a bad standard, basing it on how someone "feels" about it is a pretty terrible one. How is anyone supposed to know how anyone else is going to "feel" about an action before it happens? Either an action like Katy's is OK or it isn't, it shouldn't depend on how the guy feels after the fact.

• Now if the rolls were reversed, and a 33 year old man kissed a 19 year old girl without consent, everyone would be going crazy.

8|5
    0|0
  • Yeah that wasn't cool of her. She really shouldn't have done anything at all, since she's older and in a position of power over the kid. But if ANYTHING, she should have at least asked him. Not ambush him.

3|1
    0|0
  • I don't even care about the french version of this show, so the American one?
    I still have an opinion on this.
    Yes, she should get kick off this show.
    You just don't kiss a random person on the lips by surprise.

0|2
    0|0
  • She was wrong. 1. you could obviously tell he was not into it and was very nervous 2. she deceived him and turned her head to make lip contact even after he said "on the cheek"
    how classy... super disappointed in her. It's not a game.

2|2
    1|0
    • She really changed over the past couple of years. I'm disappointed too.

• @Bgurl2_0 agree, I use to really like her but this new direction I can't get behind

• Yes, she violated him. He even turned his head and her his cheek and she still kissed him on the lips. If it was a man doing that he would've been fired and sponsors would have pulled out from working with him the very next Morning. Katy Perry is a part of the Problem!!! She's a Disgrace to the Human Race!!!

1|0
    0|0
  • From what the kid says it was SUPER non-consentual so yes boot her ass

5|2
    0|0
  • I'm not entirely sure? I mean, the guy did say it was non-consensual but he also clarified that he didn't feel sexually harassed. So I dunno. Super unprofessional regardless. It's up to the producers of the show I guess. Personally couldn't really give less of a fuck about Katy and the show so they can do whatever they want with her.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes, all the entitled twits should be removed from everything. they really think its ok to just go around doing w/e the F they feel like.

2|1
    0|1
  • I swore this show ended. But yeah, she shouldn't be kissing contestants even with permission. It just doesn't seem right and isn't necessary.

3|1
    0|0
    • Me too. I thought the season with Jennifer Lopez was literally the last. They said it was the last. Seeing the new season on television surprised the living shit outta me.

• @Bgurl2_0 same. Like they made a big deal outta it and everything.

• Yeah, they did. So weird.

• I don't know if she should be booted but definitely some action should be taken.

4|1
    1|0
  • Yes! i am for equality at sexual harassment, for women AND men!

1|4
    0|1
  • That’s not cool at all. And not professional of her. And fuck this show xD

1|2
    0|0
  • Oh nooooo! A kiss! Get over it people. It's not like she killed anybody

1|2
    7|9
  • The last thing. Who the fuck is still watching this show?

2|0
    0|0
  • I found her behavior very disrespectful because he did not want to.

1|2
    0|0
  • I'm surprised American Idol is still on in the first place

2|1
    1|0
  • Why not just cancel that (dumb, boring) show instead?

1|0
    1|0
  • I never did like Katy Perry, except for her make up line.

1|0
    0|2
  • Just seems like a lame bit from a TV show, not something to be concerned about.

0|0
    0|0
  • I thought it was cute and funny. He was in his 20’s anyway

1|0
    3|6
    • So if I kiss a girl without her consent, it's ok if she's over 20?

• Show All
    • He did, when she kissed him on the lips, which he didn't agree to. She didn't ask if he wanted anyway, she just did.

• Ugh nevermind

• they do what they do to make a hype out of nothing. American Idol take the defeat , you guys are long gone no one will save your ratings anymore

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely. What she did was completely inappropriate.

1|0
    0|0
  • I forgot there was even a American idol... lol show been on for years literally

1|0
    0|0
  • As long as the guy doesn’t has a problem with it, no

0|0
    0|2
  • depends on how he felt about it.

0|0
    1|1
    • He didn't like it

• Show All
    • It doesn’t depend on how he felt about it, she did it without his permission

• 1. BOYS MASK THEIR FEELINGS
      2. HE'S UNDERAGE

• Certainly makes me feel uncomfortable.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, what she did is so gross

2|1
    0|1
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 70

• Yeah, I knew some guy at GaG was going to whine about this. You are just mad she didn't kiss you.

I am sure that if it were Rosie O'Donnell, the kid would have sued.

cdn.socawlege.com/.../rosie.png

0|1
    0|1
  • @JSmuve
    Katy kissed a 19 year old boy without consent and no-one bats an eye
    If the genders were reversed, everyone loses their minds!
    See, this is a real example of double standards... learn to deal with it or suffer, as a guy. You can't change it, it's too late
    Just learn to be ahead of the curve

0|1
    0|0
  • @JSmuve you forgot to say that he didn't like the kiss at all and he was saving his first kiss for someone special, it was completely without his consent
    She's a bitch and if the #metoo movement doesn't do something about this then i'm losing my last bit of hope with that bullshit

0|1
    0|0
  • if a man did this to a little girl, katy perry would be one of the fem hoes leading for him to be burned at the stake.
    i am so sick of feminism and it's double standards. all these bitches care about is their shaved heads and bullying men and being big fat dykes

0|1
    0|0
  • Hell ya she should, because equality. As many guys that have been fired from their jobs for less than that. One guy got fired for just touching a woman's back while trying to comfort her.

#metoo

1|4
    0|0
  • Well I'm on the fence here. I mean I think firing is a bit too far in a normal circumstance. However on the other hand, Katy preaches all this stuff like #metoo and all this feminism bs. We all know if it was a guy her age kissing a girl the kids age shit would have hit the fan real fast for the man. It's with that in mind I think action should be taken because it is complete hypocrisy on Katy Perry's part. It's time to taste her own medicine. Don't preach it if you don't stand by it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Watched the video clip. I didn’t realize that Katy Perry is slowly turning into Miley Cyrus.

3|1
    0|0
  • Boot her, equality is equality.

However, I think the hysteria over this topic needs to chill out a great deal. Feminists have blown things waaay out of proportion when it comes to "micro aggressions" and "rape hysteria"

0|0
    2|1
  • Her career should have been over with the release of that fireworks song, I have never hated anything like I hate that fucking song.

1|1
    0|0
    • you weren't into "boom boom boom, even brighter than the moon moon moon" that's lyrical gold

• I didn't realise it had words, I just heard cats being skinned alive.

• haha XD

• Well.. if a 30 year old male artist did the same thing to a 19 year old female contestant, the guy would probably be publicly shamed and fired from the show... especially if he was unnattractive.

0|0
    0|0
  • She should be booted in her dumb fucking head, curb stomped to oblivion just like the black dude who tried to rob Derek Vinyard's car in American history X.

0|0
    1|0
  • Before this entire #metoo hype, people would have found this innocent and funny. Today it makes people crazy.
    If no one of them complained, what's wrong? The guy is probably happy with the kiss :D

0|0
    0|0
  • I think she should just apologize to the young man and give him free tickets to a concert, including backstage access.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's inappropriate. However, I'm not one to severely punish her for this. Just say that it's not a good idea and pulling it off again will have consequences.

0|0
    0|0
  • It was wrong, but I don't think she should be kicked off for it

0|0
    0|0
  • First of all : katy looks horrible, even the witch from conjuring 2 looks more better than her
    Second : yeah she should be booted

0|2
    0|1
  • Yeah bet that boy is pissed as fuck that his first kiss was with a celebrity sex symbol.

1|1
    0|2
  • for the sake of double standards and the ongoing crazyness that's going on in america. feminism community themselves must feel their own idealism burn their flesh

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, but just because I've never liked her. But if the show continues to another season, she probably won't be back.

0|0
    0|0
  • if he says he was violated and protests then sure. otherwise no

0|0
    0|0
  • I'll play horribly unreasonable devils advocate for a sec, if it wasn't scripted and agreed upon beforehand, he could sue her ass and make more then he would get from winning the whole show... LMAO

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol you know if he got in then this would be a whole different story, right?

0|0
    0|0
  • That's a very good point. She should be sacrificed on the altar of public opinion like a man would.

1|2
    0|0
  • Lol my boss told me she fell over in some small dress and could get up cause she would flash everyone so she had help.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just imagine if the contestant was female and the judge male, the response would be vastly different.

1|0
    0|0
  • Kim Kong Un would go crazy if they got rid of her..

0|1
    0|0
    • I think we all cried a little when James Franco starting singing Firework

• If it was a grown man kissing a little like that we would lose our shit

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes.

If it were a man in her position, he’d be fired by now and his career ruined. Just because it’s an attractive pop star, suddenly we’re meant to be okay with it.

I know the guy didn’t claim it’s sexual harrassment so it’s good he doesn’t feel violated to that extent, but he said he was uncomfortable and he did not give consent; he said no and she forcibly made him do it.

This isn’t bad because the guy got kissed without consent (since he’s said he’s not considering it harrassment), but this sends out a message that Katy Perry can do what she wants to you for the sake of show biz.

It’s also teaching some guys that women like Katy Perry encourage unsolicited sexual acts.

It’s totally inappropriate, she should at least publicly acknowledge that she shouldn’t have done it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I though American Idol already was the garbage bin of Hollywood. 😂

0|0
    0|0
  • Where's the outrage from Hollywood?

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes