Are you ever outraged or disappointed by the entertainment industry perpetuating negative stereotypes?

I guess I'm easily entertained. Regardless, when I watch a movie or show repeatedly, I sometimes detect characterizations that I usually overlook upon first or second viewing. Sometimes it changes my mind entirely about the work. How about you? Do you refuse to watch certain shows or movies because they're sexist, racist, ageist, anti-religion, or something else?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Hate on me but I can't stand Big Bang Theory because of the stereotypes of the Nerd Boy and the hot girl.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• I'm not affected by such brain washing tactics. But I'm Pagan myself so I won't watch religious shows, or shows that use cliches propagated by the Catholic church to promote myths and lies about paganism.

0|0
    0|0
  • #CONSTANTLY

i hate most stuff or i have to ignore so much of it just to get through it without punching something that its pointless watching it.

lol the culturally 'sensitive;' stuff is the worst bc they just perpetuate the same stereotypes but at like they are putting it in a good light. like ' well these people are x y z but hey its a good thing!'
    instead of just not pigeon holing in the first.

no one has the same view, just bc you think a stereotype is positive doesn't mean its true or not a stereotype. stereotypes are brand people bc they are stereotypes not bc the content is inherently bad. so annoying.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I don't. I just don't care.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 15

• In response to your question, I quote Charles Haddon Spurgeon, "You cannot slander human nature. It is worse than words can paint it?"

Whatever negative stereotypes there may be, they are undoubtedly richly earned. Art imitates life - even if somewhat exaggeratedly - after all.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, also now everyone gets offended and they feel like since they think their right, or have the freedom to push it onto others and blame a majority of the population for their mishap.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not that interested in the entertainment industry but from what I've seen it seems to promote the intersectional identity politics of the Left. So it will often portray straight white males as bad characters, and women and minorities as good characters, which is kinda gross.

0|0
    0|0
  • If its not blatant racism, then I don't really care. The second thing is that it has to be done right, otherwise it's just annoying. I think a lot of people are too sensitive and easily offended.

Personally, if I think it looks good, I'll watch it. I'm not bothered by these things.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, without a doubt they are brainwashing the youth to think a certain way about everything through sheer information overload, and ruining intellectual thought, analysis, deduction and individuality.

The powerful effect is certainly well known with the powers that be.

0|0
    0|1
  • Nope, to me it is what it is.. entertainment. I dont understand why people want to be offended by everything and anything then complain and get stuff banned etc.
    If you dont like it, dont watch it but dont ruin it for others who do want to.

1|0
    0|0
  • Frankly, I don't think they do. Black people gave a culture of crime sadly; it's just how it is. Portraying it as such isn't racism. I don't know what rock you're living under, but birth of a nation is not popular.

0|0
    0|0
    • You don't think negative stereotypes are perpetuated in the media, and you think I'M the one living under a rock?
      That's pretty funny.

• Show All
    • Look, it's a minority of people that do and say crazy things who go on this crusade of acting like every black person is Oprah.
      For every one black drug dealer on TV, there are millions in big cities. It's statistically correct to say that black people are more likely to be a part of drug culture, gangs, or homelesness. Portraying black people as such is a generalization, yes, but you're not supposed to focus on exceptions when you're trying to be accurate.

• I watch a movie to be entertained. I didn't pay much attention to any subliminal messages its trying to push on my

0|0
    0|0
  • Stereotypes are fun

1|0
    0|0
  • No, if itโ€™s entertaining, Iโ€™ll watch it

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I hate SJWs and don't wanna be like one.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not that I have noticed.

0|0
    0|0
  • Isn't that the point?

0|0
    0|0
  • I only listen to classics, you naughty nerowo

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care