Have you ever seen a painting that totally captured your interest?

I'm talking about IN PERSON. Not online or in a book.

1. Vermeer's Girl With Pearl Earring.

I don't know how long I stood there, just looking at her. There's something about her eyes- clear, innocent and wide... The way the light reflects off the pearl, her lips that glisten too and the unusual hair covering. Blue and yellow. Red lips. The primary colors, all in a row. I wonder what her story was and what she was thinking at the time. So many secrets. So beautiful. There has been a book written about what the story -could- have been between her and the painter... and the hopeless romantic wishes that it were true. Eventually, I got pushed out of the way by the other visitors... but I went back another 2 times to get another look of her face.

2. Van Gogh's Landscape At Twilight

This image does not do the painting justice... I wish I could make you see how incredibly VIBRANT the yellows were. It was blindingly bright... I could easily imagine walking down the this path and having the light be too bright to admire without shielding my eyes. There's a house off in the distance... Maybe a few times a week, the people who lived in that house had to go to the marketplace and by the time they'd come back, the sun would be setting, and they'd meander down the path, with all their parcels in tow.

3. Picasso's Woman Ironing

This painting is... quite haunting. You can just sense that this is her life. Day after day, slaving away, hunched over the iron, feeling weak and exhausted, but doing the same maneuvers over and over. It's amazing to me how much I can feel it. I can feel the soreness in my shoulders, being stooped over. Her eyes are in shadow, making her look... almost inhuman. That, paired with the jutting shoulders, it makes you feel like something is terrible wrong about her body, so extreme. One of my friends was with me at the time and she couldn't look at this painting too long, it almost scared her in a way.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• The girl with the pearl earring really captures my attention and I haven't even seen it in person yet. Can't wait to see it one day.
    There are two paintings actually that totally drew me in. One was in the Louvre and sadly I remember neither it's name nor who the painter was. It was a portrait of a young man, a pretty dark picture actually. And he looked concerned, like something was weighing on his soul. It was so subtle, just the way his eyes looked and I could have sat there and stared at it forever.
    The other one was a portrait of Auguste Renoir by Frédéric Bazille. I think it was the way the youth of this man was depicted without showing him being overly enthusiastic about anything. It just has this calm to it that I really enjoy. Also I'm a sucker for impressionism.

1|0
    0|0
    • The first painting sounds incredible! I so wish I could have looked it up... Is this the second one you're talking about?

www.ruevisconti.com/.../Renoir_g.jpg

I love impressionism too :)

• Show All
    • You described the scene so well, I could see/smell/hear it too... but for some reason I also imagined it being rainy outside of that place, the sounds of shoes hitting cobblestones. It's so easy to get swept up in this lol.

It's so interesting that you saw that. I didn't even think she was smiling at all... so cool to get a totally different perspective on this :)

• Oh yes, I just love going to museums and having these long talks about the pictures with a friend.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 19

• Yeah. I remember strolling through the less populated parts of the louvre. It's sad that all this incredible art had not a soul to witness it. I spend a good fifteen minutes on some images.

1|0
    0|0
  • I haven't, yet, but I plan to go to some nice museums in Boston.

1|0
    0|0
  • I made a painting of a man shooting himself and the exit wound was a sprouting Palm tree and island. I don't know where I put it but I loved it when I made it

1|0
    0|0
  • The Coronation of Napoleon in the Louvre really caught my eye when I went there (partly because it's freaking enormous)

1|0
    0|0
  • Any landscape painting is enough for me really. Makes me want to go inside the painting and walk around

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, there's one in Newlands that is huge. All it is is some people walking through a shady wooded area, but you feel like you're right there.

0|0
    0|0
  • Each one of Leonardo Da Vinci’s paintings. Hey has a way conveying images as a moment in motion rather than just a static, lifeless picture.

1|0
    0|0
  • No but I do like memes

1|0
    0|0
  • I like Starry Night by van gogh, the colors give kind of a calming feeling to me.

0|0
    0|0
  • The Sistine Chapel has always been fascinating to me. Mostly painted by Michelangelo in 1508, it is often considered to be the most important work of art known to man.
    Not only were the paintings revolutionary in their aesthetics, but the paintings are a very interesting depiction of Christian mythology. There is story behind the murals; they tell the tale of Genesis, the Gospels, and of Armageddon in a way that no other work of art has.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never happened to me. Somehow I find them mostly ugly

0|0
    1|0
  • a lot of times, but only online, i've never seen much paintings in real life, here are some by the way :
    images.fineartamerica.com/.../...winslow-homer.jpg
    www.favriver.com/.../...st-famous-paintings-15.jpg
    imgc.allpostersimages.com/.../...8_u-L-F3P8U70.jpg

0|0
    0|0
  • He'll yeah like 3 fave paintings by leonardo da Vinci

0|0
    0|0
  • Rembrandt's The Nightwatch.

1|0
    0|0
    • I've seen that as well! :)

• Can't say that I have.

1|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • hmmm i didn't know that was your favorite song- what a coincidence! :)

• It is my favorite, such a hauntingly beautiful song. Did you know Orbison wrote the opening and ending to In Dreams while falling asleep, and wrote the rest/middle of the song when he woke up the next morning? Did you also know it only took Orbison 20 minuets from start to finish to complete In Dreams?

• Yep it is in my living room.

1|0
    0|0
  • Of course I have.

1|0
    0|0
  • Picasso

1|0
    0|0
  • Be careful. If you look at and old painting long enough it can steal your soul

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• Washington crossing the Delaware. I had seen pictures of it before, but in person it was just so huge and imposing, and the expressions on the faces were so grim and determined.

1|0
    0|0
    • I can see that... the fortitude. The way the oars are hitting the water, the wind twisting up the American flag. I can imagine how cold it must have been. Very imposing indeed...

• I don't know what it was, there was a painting in a hotel room, right beside the bed. It wasn't exactly mesmerizing as in capturing my interest, but more like absolutely terrify me.

It was a boat with creatures pulling on it, it was beautiful but when you look in the details, the creatures have a disorted human face that was simply horrible to look at.

And right around the corner of that room, it was another painting of a woman but, with the lights off, it gave the same disorted face as the creatures, which we ended up flipping and taking down both pictures.

PLOT FUCKING TWIST, the next morning, when the cleaning lady came, she said "oh you guys flipped it too!" and proceeded to explain the numerous amounts of complaints about those paintings, that it was scaring children and such.

Still haunted.

1|0
    0|0
    • damn. such an unusual choice for a hotel... i wish i could see those paintings. they sound horrific, but also... kind of amazing lol

• Van Gogh, The Starry Night
    Leonardo Da Vinci, The Last Supper
    Georges Seurat, A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte

1|1
    0|0
  • I've seen many paintings that caught my interest, however if I really think of art that gave me such an intense feeling it was this one.
    ramonasmit.files.wordpress.com/.../...f1d5e5_z.jpg
    It's called the beanery by Edward Kienholz. It's a walk-in art piece where everything from a specific café is remade with eye for detail, like the sounds and the distinct smell. However, all the visitors had clocks as faces which gave some sort of feeling like the time was standing stil.
    I felt watched, uneased by how static everything was and almost felt claustrophobic.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had to write a research paper on #1. I was bored to death

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not a very religious person but The Last Supper is very impressive in person. It's at a convent and you've gotta call ahead to see it and can only go in the room in small groups (something about preventing wear, since the version we know so well today is actually a restoration because Leonardo was... pretty sloppy with his frescoing and it's gotta be very carefully maintained). It's a massive thing, no pictures can really make it sink in until you're in a room with just 6 other people and that fresco. Also was interesting to me as an American because, that's so much older than everything else in America, every building, document, artifact, all of it is like, brand new by comparison. There's places in France three times as old as my whole country.

Also it's much less art historical but Stephen Gammel's illustrations for Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark are still incredibly haunting to me. I've had those books since I was a kid and I wish he sold them as prints or something. I would put them up in my house.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes