Have you ever seen a painting that totally captured your interest?

I'm talking about IN PERSON. Not online or in a book.

1. Vermeer's Girl With Pearl Earring.

I don't know how long I stood there, just looking at her. There's something about her eyes- clear, innocent and wide... The way the light reflects off the pearl, her lips that glisten too and the unusual hair covering. Blue and yellow. Red lips. The primary colors, all in a row. I wonder what her story was and what she was thinking at the time. So many secrets. So beautiful. There has been a book written about what the story -could- have been between her and the painter... and the hopeless romantic wishes that it were true. Eventually, I got pushed out of the way by the other visitors... but I went back another 2 times to get another look of her face.

2. Van Gogh's Landscape At Twilight

This image does not do the painting justice... I wish I could make you see how incredibly VIBRANT the yellows were. It was blindingly bright... I could easily imagine walking down the this path and having the light be too bright to admire without shielding my eyes. There's a house off in the distance... Maybe a few times a week, the people who lived in that house had to go to the marketplace and by the time they'd come back, the sun would be setting, and they'd meander down the path, with all their parcels in tow.

3. Picasso's Woman Ironing

This painting is... quite haunting. You can just sense that this is her life. Day after day, slaving away, hunched over the iron, feeling weak and exhausted, but doing the same maneuvers over and over. It's amazing to me how much I can feel it. I can feel the soreness in my shoulders, being stooped over. Her eyes are in shadow, making her look... almost inhuman. That, paired with the jutting shoulders, it makes you feel like something is terrible wrong about her body, so extreme. One of my friends was with me at the time and she couldn't look at this painting too long, it almost scared her in a way.

720

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• The girl with the pearl earring really captures my attention and I haven't even seen it in person yet. Can't wait to see it one day.
    There are two paintings actually that totally drew me in. One was in the Louvre and sadly I remember neither it's name nor who the painter was. It was a portrait of a young man, a pretty dark picture actually. And he looked concerned, like something was weighing on his soul. It was so subtle, just the way his eyes looked and I could have sat there and stared at it forever.
    The other one was a portrait of Auguste Renoir by Frédéric Bazille. I think it was the way the youth of this man was depicted without showing him being overly enthusiastic about anything. It just has this calm to it that I really enjoy. Also I'm a sucker for impressionism.

• The first painting sounds incredible! I so wish I could have looked it up... Is this the second one you're talking about?

www.ruevisconti.com/.../Renoir_g.jpg

I love impressionism too :)

• You described the scene so well, I could see/smell/hear it too... but for some reason I also imagined it being rainy outside of that place, the sounds of shoes hitting cobblestones. It's so easy to get swept up in this lol.

It's so interesting that you saw that. I didn't even think she was smiling at all... so cool to get a totally different perspective on this :)

• Oh yes, I just love going to museums and having these long talks about the pictures with a friend.