Songwriters... any advice for me?

so I've been working with music for awhile (guitar, metal and some rock n roll style) I'm kinda considering doing a little songwriting (lyric wise) too. I'm a total newbie to it all, but wanna try. anyone got advice for me? my focus is on heavier music but advice from any part of the music spectrum is welcome.

thanks!

Songwriters... any advice for me?

418

Most Helpful Guy

• I taught myself songwriting (progressive metalcore mainly, but sometimes I write acoustic pieces). I used to make really cringe songs, but after lots of work, I believe they’re actually decent.

My advice in writing songs is firstly to practice the everliving crap out of it. Songwriting is like learning a new instrument. Your first songs will be total pieces of cringe, but these will pave the way for better compositions. Lyrics is the same deal. Oh boy— I lie awake at night remembering some of the cringe I’ve written. Share them with other people though. Get honest feedback, and work from there.

Secondly, to help you write, I *strongly* suggest guitar pro 7 (or 6) or some notation software to help you out. Putting your ideas into notation software makes them more concrete. It shows where your weak points are in the song, and it also makes it easier to organize/share. Guitar pro is useful particularly, because it lets you export to midi/pdf/wav to play back your piece or show bandmates without having to spend hours recording it (only to change it later). Heck, I’ve even written songs straight in guitar pro without ever picking up a guitar before. It’s possibly the best cost to benefit music purchase I’ve gotten yet.

The rest comes with a bit of trial and error. People each write songs slightly different. I find that I start with the instrument I want to really drive/be important in the song. Often times in my music, that’s guitar, so I’ll pick up a guitar and jam until I figure out a cool riff. Then I decide if that riff belongs in a chorus/verse/bridge/intro roll. From there, I jam that riff on repeat an start trying to lead into various ideas afterwards with it.

Sometimes, I’ll be inspired by some band’s song, and that influence will take shape in my writing (I. e. experimenting with intentional dissonance in key, the cool chord shapes Periphery uses). This is what really made things click for me. I saw the cool chords Periphery used in the song Passenger, and it broke me free of my power chord chains.

It also let me develop a new tool I call a half bar chord. That is, barring with a middle finger for the lower 3 strings or so and curling your finger up to leave the upper strings open. This gives you freedom in your pinky/index on the left/right of your middle finger to make interesting (often beautiful or sometimes dissonant sounding) chord shapes. (Example chord would be from DADGBE: 8-8-8-10-7-8 or 7-7-9-5-8-0)

• One of these days I’ll probably try and make a myTake on songwriting.

My process after figuring out the song on guitar is...
      — punch the first riff into guitar pro
      — put drums to the riff in guitar pro
      — repeat this process with the rest of the riffs
      — add bass
      — write a general vocal melody
      — write lyrics for the melody. Sometimes I’ll need to rewrite some of the melody to fit the lyrics.
      — get feedback for the lyrics
      — make changes as need be for a new draft
      — practice the riffs and drum parts like crazy until solid
      — record

Most Helpful Girl

• Metaphors and smilies
    Mostly poetry.
    To the point.

I used to write a lot in high school. Then i progressed onto singing. I still write here and there sometimes if i feel creative or something strikes a spark in me to express it on paper. Usually its spur of the moment where i get these random quotes or sentences in my head that narrow down what im going through. Good luck on ur writing!