Would you consider The Blair Witch Project to be the scariest movie of the 1990s[SPOILER ALERT, VIDEO HERE!]?

I think so. It honestly kinda creeps me out how in the ending, you can't see or understand what's happening in these recordings.
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Other
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• i find it to be creepy. the hand-held camera style is... I don't know. it makes things seem more real.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I found it boring n hate that it started a new movement of "camcorder horror" and complete reliance on jump scares. I think great spook flicks have great soundtracks, and cool cinematography is nice too. I think the concept was cool, but it just didn't hit home for me.

0|0
    0|0
    • Except The Blair Witch Project very rarely ever used jump scares, more like building up unsettling and unpredictable atmosphere. It was the sequel (Blair Witch, 2017) that started to rely on jump scares too much. The later movies that were inspired by the handheld-style camera angle horror films like Paranormal Activity, I will admit, were overrated, except for the Spanish horror film, [REC](released in 2007), which was the camcorder horror film done right (despite that it was a zombie horror film, rather than a paranormal/ghost or witch haunted horror film).

• You're right. Mostly referring to the newer horror that took inspiration from Blair Witch project that use jump scares. I think knowing it's not real takes away from the effect. Like, I liked The Fourth Kind a lot, but it had the same problem, and concept as Blair Witch. I wish horror would evolve yet again.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 2

What Guys Said 3

• The Blair Witch project was a hit in the 90s for great scary horror film but I don't think it tops scary movies like Nightmare on Elm street (Freddy Kruger), Friday the 13th, Halloween, Child's Play, Candyman, Leprechaun, Scream, Sleepy Hallow, The Crow, Return of the Living Dead, I Know what you did last Summer, and more (80s & 90s set the tone for scariest great films).

0|0
    0|0
    • About half of the movies you mentioned were from the 80s and The Crow isn't even a horror movie, more like an action film.

• Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991), Wes Craven New Nightmare (1994), Jason Goes to Hell (1993), Candyman (1992), Candyman 2 Farewell to the Flesh (1995), Candyman 3: Day of the Dead (1999), Scream (1996), Halloween: Curse of Michael Myers (1995), Halloween H20 (1998), Child's Play 2 ((1990), Child's Play 3(1991), Bride of Chucky (1998), I know what you did Last Summer (1997), Leprechaun (1993), Leprechaun 2 (1994), Leprechaun 3 (1995), Night of the Living Dead (1990), Sleepy Hallow (1999), Urban Legend (1998), The Crow was considered a Dark Horror Action film especially when Brandon Lee died and there were rumors about a curse at that time. The horror even consider Wesley Snipes "Blade" (1998) as a Horror vampire Action flick.

• There's more I didn't mentioned.

• Tbh I thought it was meh af when it came out. Didn’t understand the appeal

0|1
    0|0
    • Supposedly, the appeal was that it tried to make the horror of the film to look authentic/realistic as possible by using hand-held camera-style filming (like the way documentary films do) from the cast members themselves, without any music nor special sound effects and also advertising it as a borderline real thing before it released in theaters.

I honestly thought it was genius of the directors to come up with this movie since they at least brought fresh ideas to the horror movie genre (rather than the same old, cliché serial killer mass killing or constant jumpscares that many Hollywood horror films have been doing) that inspired many other later horror films that used found-footage, hand-held camera angles.

• And also, many people at the time were stupid enough to actually completely believe that the whole events of the film was real, lol.

• No but it was good.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes