For musicians how did you learn to play?

We’re you self taught? Such as books, programs or YouTube videos? Or more traditionally through school, private lessons?

36

Most Helpful Girl

• I learned my first instruments in grade school, which ended up being largely self-taught. My band teacher explained the basic things (e. g. tonguing) but I had to figure out a lot myself, and learned the fingerings out of a book they provided.

I've self-taught other instruments, though would love private lessons for cello one day. I think some instruments are easier than others to do without private lessons.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• So with my original instrument of clarinet, I was mostly self taught via practicing out of those exercise books. I had lessons for a bit, but I couldn’t stand them so I quickly opted out.

As for drums, I’m self taught in the sense that I started my very basics through the game rockband. (I looked up how to hold a stick via youtube) I played rockband enough to where I got to expert mode on all the songs.

From then, I got an actual drumset. I learned via starting at really easy songs and building up to harder songs (with goal songs in mind along the way to track progress). Extremely basic technique (holding sticks, heel toe technique principles, setting up drumsets) was taught via youtube. I started with Animal I’ve Become by Three Days Grace, worked my way up to Everlong by Foo Fighters, then YYZ by Rush eventually, and now I’m playing Animals As Leaders and prog metal.

With bass, I learned the very basics from youtube tutorials, and I did the same thing as drums. I started out from easier songs to harder songs. I mostly used songsterr. com for help. I would play along to various tabs on there until I could play along to the real song. Slap bass was the same process.

I did the same with guitar as bass. However nowadays, I tend to learn less actual songs and play more stuff I’ve written. The stuff I write tends to be quite technically complex (more than most songs), and by jamming I can create new material. If I’m inspired by a song, I’ll learn it though. I try to push myself as I’m jamming to get better and better. I’m at the point now where I can do 16th triplet runs relatively clean, but I can’t do very consistent sweeping. I can do crappy sweeps, but not as clean as I’d like. I feel like setting my sights on prog metal has really expanded my technical abilities, since often times the rhythms/notes are written quite complex.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Yeah I learned Bass by watching YouTube tutorials And jamming with my friends. I’m trying to learn Guitar the same way but it seems much harder and slower process.

• I would suggest starting with chords on guitar (and getting comfortable with upward/downward strumming) and then work your way up to single notes from there. I started with christian rock— it’s usually just major or minor chords, and then I went to No Rain by Blind Melon, and then I went to Wish You Here by Pink Floyd for the acoustic part. If you got chords down though, you can do arpeggios and that opens up the world greatly in my opinion

• Ok thanks.