Rate this Stand-up Comedian out of 5: Andy Kaufman?

While often called a comedian, Kaufman described himself instead as a "song and dance man". He disdained telling jokes and engaging in comedy as it was traditionally understood, once saying in a rare introspective interview, "I am not a comic, I have never told a joke. ... The comedian's promise is that he will go out there and make you laugh with him... My only promise is that I will try to entertain you as best I can." After working in small comedy clubs in the early 1970s, Kaufman came to the attention of a wider audience in 1975, when he was invited to perform portions of his act on the first season of Saturday Night Live. His Foreign Man character was the basis of his performance as Latka Gravas on the hit television show Taxi from 1978 until 1983. During this time, he continued to tour comedy clubs and theaters in a series of unique performance art / comedy shows, sometimes appearing as himself and sometimes as obnoxiously rude lounge singer Tony Clifton.

Results of Previous polls:
Eddie Murphy: 4.3/5
Robin Williams: 4.2/5
Richard Pryor: 4/5
Rodney Dangerfield: 3.9/5
Steve Martin: 3.9/5
Dave Chappelle: 3.9/5
George Carlin: 3.9/5
Bill Hicks: 3.8/5
Mitch Hedberg: 3.8/5
Bill Burr: 3.8/5
Louis C. K.: 3.8/5
Bo Burnham: 3.7/5
Kevin Hart: 3.7/5
Jerry Lewis: 3.5/5
Dennis Miller: 3.5/5
Steven Wright: 3.5/5
Patrice O'Neal:3.5/5
Bob Hope: 3.5/5
Drew Carey: 3.4/5
Chris Rock: 3.4/5
Jim Carrey: 3.4/5
Norm Macdonald: 3.4/5
Jeff Foxworthy: 3.3/5
Sam Kinison: 3.3/5
Don Rickles: 3.3/5
Tim Allen: 3.3/5
Larry the Cable Guy: 3.2/5
Eddie Izzard: 3.2/5
Jerry Seinfeld: 3.2/5
Jim Gaffigan: 3.2/5
Tracy Morgan: 3.1/5
Louie Anderson: 3.1/5
Joe Rogan: 3.1/5
Bill Cosby: 3.1/5
David Spade: 3.1/5
Bob Saget: 3/5
Dane Cook: 3/5
George Lopez: 3/5
Adam Sandler: 2.9/5
Garry Shandling: 2.5/5
Ellen Degeneres: 2.5/5
Bill Maher: 2.3/5
Rosanne Barr: 2.2/5
  • 5/5 The best comedian ever!
  • 4/5 very funny
  • 3/5 sorta funny
    Vote C
  • 2/5 not very funny
    Vote D
  • 1/5 worst comedian ever
    Vote E
  • Who's Andy Kaufman?
    Vote F
In 1982, Kaufman brought his professional wrestling villain act to Letterman's show by way of a staged encounter with Jerry "The King" Lawler of the Continental Wrestling Association (although the fact that the altercation was planned in advance was not publicly disclosed for over a decade).
Kaufman died of lung cancer in 1984, at the age of 35. Because pranks and elaborate ruses were major elements of his career, persistent rumors have circulated that Kaufman faked his own death as a grand hoax. He continues to be respected for the variety of his characters, his uniquely counterintuitive approach to comedy, and his willingness to provoke negative and confused reactions from audiences.

511

Most Helpful Girl

• I remember him in Taxi and thought he was weird. Not a fan of his comedy either so I voted 1/5

Most Helpful Guy

• He could sometimes be funny, but overall he was just a jerk. I remember when he was a guest on FRIDAYS, I thought, "FRIDAYS can be funny, Andy Kaufman can be funny, maybe this'll be fantastic!" He did a skit on the show, acted kind of weird, and then halfway through it he just got up and left the entire studio! The other comedy regulars in the skit did their best to just improvise through it, but I thought, "Andy, you're a dick!" Never liked him since.