Old school or new school: What's your music style?

Old school or new school: What's your music style? I think everybody has their own music style and some like older music, some like the newer stuff but that style changes from when we are young to old. So, this is three questions in one.

First question: What is your current music style? Like what kind of music do you listen to the most?

Second question: What kind of music did you listen to growing up? And, how does that vary from what you listen to now?

Third question: What are you more inclined to listen to, older music, newer music or a mixture of both?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My answers to those questions are:

1) I love rock, both classic and alternative. However, I'm very open minded when it comes to the music I listen to so I also like Motown (as they called R&B/soul back in the day), big band, jazz, rap (the none offensive kind). The list is pretty long of what I like in music. Rock is my favorite though.

2) Growing up I listened to my parents vinyl records because they had and still have, a turntable. Most of those records are rock and some aren't but I was that weird kid listening to Queen and who's favorite song as a kid was Black is Black by Los Bravos and who knows pretty much all the words to Tears for Fears songs lol. I also liked stuff more geared towards my age group such as the Spice Girls and NYSNC , huge fan of both. My music choices haven't varied much I still like Queen but I also so love the Goo Goo Dolls , it's a mixed bag of music.

3) I'm more old school music 60's, 70's and definitely the 90's. I like music from the early 2000's as well because they produced some good bands but now I think most music sucks and sounds the same, that's just me though.

0|3

Most Helpful Guys

• 1) Metal: thrash, heavy, whatever korn does. Classic and orchestral (though not a Strauß fan, weirdly enough). Some punk rock and hard Rock (Ärzte, Toten Hosen, AC/DC).

2) The exact same thing as above, minus Korn.

3) Depends on the genre. For metal and rock it's usually older music (as in not from this millennium and usually not from the preceeding decade, Doom Soundtrack aside). For classic it's old by definition and the orchestral music is old in general, though some like Radiarc make amazing music in the current day.

0|0
    0|0
    • Also, reading your answers: Interesting trivia about Die Ärzte is that they released every record on vinyl - and they're still doing so.

• That's cool, didn't know artist could still record with vinyl. So, that's a cool thing to know.

• Yeah, their most recent release was in 2012 and they made it available for download, CD, vinyl and each song was uploaded on YouTube. The artists are pretty cool guys. They also refuse to out DRM on their discs, saying that it would eventually be cracked anyway, so they'll just let everyone make a backup copy, or one for a friend to share.

• In general I like anything that can make me move a little bit. The more the better. EDM, elcrtronica and Techno, which I wouldn't really classify as music are in the lead in that department. Bing band music is a favorite of mine as well. I'm a lover of instrumentals I guess. As far as older stuff I grew up thinking almost everything my sister (4 years older) was the coolest thing in the world. We're talking about stuff like the old Gwen Stefani, bands like cake, and Goo Goo Dolls and yes, NSYNC as well. First CD I ever owned actually. She picked it out for me. The only type of music I really can't get behind is rap. Unless it's incredibly didactic. Eminems pairing with dido called Stan still makes me shiver.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• 1) Classic rock and protopunk. Some newer stuff though, mainly hip hop. Not a fan of much 80s, virtually only underground punk and new wave stuff. 90s was kind of trash to me. 2000s was fine, but from that era i'm only interested in Radiohead.
    2) A classic late 60s early 70s mixture. Hendrix, the Doors, Beatles etc. a lot was by my choice and really set the type of stuff i'd listen to later in life.
    3) Older, but that's only because I didn't really grow up with hip hop and electronic (which in my opinion is where the most innovation is going on). I'm gaining a much greater appreciation for modern music though, some of it is just ground breaking, iconic, youthful and creative.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 28

• 1. I currently listen to all kinds of metal (alt, prog, groove, folk, sympho, epic, dubcore, gothic), ska, rock, punk, blues, jazz, folk,
    some rare rap, acoustic, ambient and Im tired of recalling them. Symphonic metal is really what I enjoy most and suggest to everyone
    2. When growing up I listened to radio, mainly pop stuff that only disgusts me now. I recently have been listening to trap-rap-electro compilations to rave. Some parts are really energetic (if not to pay attention to lyrics...), some parts call me to vomit like absolutely terrible auto-tuned voices, repetitive degrading lyrics, some disgusting effects that popular music uses.
    I started listening to my own music from rock (AC/DC, Skillet, Halestorm, Sum 41, old shool and many many others), which i mainly deleted from my playlists bc it was too "popular", energy demanding, lacking of melody, and I was just tired of it. Now I regret it bc i need it sometimes.

3. I am more into new sound (relatively new, not like 60s but like starting from 90s)

0|0
    0|0
  • I listen to a range of stuff, artists like J. I. D, BROCKHAMPTON, Kendrick Lamar, a tiny bit of Eminem, Rex Orange County, Kevin Abstract, Beethoven, Mozart and a lot of other classical piano but heaps of those artist have wacky last names and I don't tend to remember them kek

0|0
    0|0
  • Both have great and terrible music. I'll blast acdc shook me all night long in my car just as soon as soon as I'll blast something like die a happy man or say you won't let me go. But I won't blast yellow submarine or guccigang, whatever that is. Bit of both keeps my ears happiest

0|0
    0|0
  • I listen to metal-core, post hardcore and melodic hardcore. I used to listen dad's music and listen to lighter stuff like your typical rock like Queen, etc. But I got bored of it and i love linkin park so they really brought me away from that scene into heaver stuff. I actually like the newer age of hardcore and heavier music as there is a newer vibe and more exploration with different sounds to the genres keeps it alive

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. R&B & Hip-Hop
    2. Mostly R&B 90's & 00's because my father listened it a lot.
    3. I prefer the "old' music 80's-00's but there won't be new releases from that time so I do listen to the current Hip-Hop.

0|0
    0|0
  • #1 Mostly rock
    #2 Rap!
    #3 Old school with a little newer music thrown in. My taste is greatly varied. I've been hearing a few new songs with an old school vibe. It's exciting!

0|1
    0|0
  • Honestly, generally newer stuff... but I love the classics too.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not a fan of a lot of recent music, though I'm definitely a bit all over the place.

1. I listen to a lot of indie rock these days. Think of things like Modest Mouse and Wilco. I really like good writing in songs, and Modest Mouse really is the pinnacle of writing when it comes to things I feel.

2. Listened to mostly pop, rock and metal. The first two were just always on the radio, and my father's a metalhead. It's different since while most pop and stuff I listened back then was earwormy stuff, the stuff I like now is more focused on content.

3. Definitely a mix of the two. I'm a big fan of some modern artists, but I also love many older artists. Plus, some of my favourites are still making new music, so there's that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Classical music mostly ( i play piano too). I love rock and metal too but nothing really feels like Classical. Other genres bore me mostly.

0|0
    0|0
    • The piano, that's impressive. Did someone teach to play or did you teach yourself?

• Show All
    • amelie. My mistake

• All sorts of stuff. Not modern pop though. Always trying to find more

0|0
    0|0
  • 1) Honestly I'm all over the place, I listen to all kinds of rock, metal, rap, and edm. If I had to pick what I listen to MOST it'd probably me Alt rock.

2) It's pretty much the same genres I listened to when I was younger, but it's gotten a lot less edgy/angsty lmao, so instead of Three Days Grace I'm listening to Arctic Monkeys and so on

3) It's a mixture of both, though by and large I'm usually listening to newer stuff more often, and when I binge older music it's usually just Metallica or random classic songs here and there by like Jimi Hendrix or Danzig and whatnot.

0|0
    0|0
  • Right now I am listening to a lot of new retro wave

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. I dig EARLY country (aka not sexy tractor country) and rockabilly. Country like when it started as Appalachian Folk in the '20s to like 80s and 90s country. Rockabilly as in '50s and '60s Rock and roll like Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry etc.

2. I used to be a big fan of Hard rock like Guns N Roses. I used to hate sitting in a hot truck in the summer with my mom listening to the local country radio station, but now I'd love nothing more than to listen to some Loretta Lynn in that same truck.

3. I'm a lot more inclined to listen to older music. I just don't feel newer music the way I do older music. If there were more new hard rock bands that still captured the feel of GNR and like Motley Crue, then I'd totally give them a listen.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most things with an story even if the story is nonsensical

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah main stream music is crap because technology has allowed cheap, uneducated, and talentless asswholes the ability to perform in an environment which once produced kings and Queens. Criminals also own a large percentage of the entertainment industry, and they are a bunch of suck wholes as well. It's annoying because the Internet is becoming less Democratic, so everytime you access content in the future you will pay, with either your money or your rights, so it's time to pick up a guitar and get all your friends in the park and do it yourself again. Stop listening.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm pretty young, but I like a lot more music from the early 2000's than I do nowadays music.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love rock and roll!

0|0
    0|0
  • Old school, but I like some new school stuff to

0|0
    0|0
  • 1970'S AND 1980'S

0|0
    0|0
  • I like most types of music.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 12

• I inherited my dad’s vinyl record collection when he passed. I’ve discovered rock from Led Zeppelin to Metallica and electric blues like Buddy Guy and John Mayall. Part of it is the connection the music had to him but I’m really liking this stuff. Older music has a quality to it that seems lacking these days, from the songwriting to the cover art to the track sequencing. I've even purchased a few vinyl LP’s of my own.

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. Current music style - a mix between new country and old country, but still listen to old rock and r&B
    2.0 Music growing up - reggae, 50s, really old country, 80s music, and R&B - it's different from now just with the lyrics, music videos, the now music to me isn't as fun to listen to for this type of music
    3. I listen to a mixture, whatever I hear that's appealing is what I will listen too.

0|0
    0|0
  • All of them; hardrock, metal, trashpunk, rythm&blues, bluesrock, Southern rock, classic rock, rock&roll, 50s/60s/80s/90s/00s. Reggae, Soul, deephouse, Americana, bluegrass, honky tonk, indie etc. prolly forget some i dont come up with now.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've been listening to Coffee House Covers a lot lately. Like Birdy, Jasmine Thompson, Civil Wars, Third Eye Blind, and Dolly Parton.

0|0
    0|0
  • All school 😜

0|1
    0|0
    • Haha, I like that. Very clever.

• I much prefer NO SCHOOL glad that I am left school but one lesson I didn't like at school was music mostly cos I couldn't play anything but don't mind listening to almost anything

• Old school.

0|1
    1|0
  • I love music from the early 00's

0|0
    0|0
  • I like both

0|0
    0|0
  • Both

0|1
    0|0
  • Old school for sure.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am more into the older music.

0|0
    0|0
  • Both. New and old. Rock music, indie, pop... depends on the song. Not the genre. If I find a song I like, no matter the genre, I will listen to it. But, mostly 80’s rock and indie hits.

When I was younger I was only allowed to listen to Christian music. Now, I listen to whatever I want. Both non-Christian music and Christian music. Depends on my mood

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes