How do you feel about the music industry?

Updates:
Music has hanged a lot over the years. Do you think music today is heading for the worst?
changed*

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• If u mean industry as in record labels and promotion etc then its changed big time in that lots of record companies still have old school mentality and still rip off vunerable artists. Music industry is a business and artists need to see that when signing a contract. Its why the lkes of Xfactor etc winners fall away fast or receive a "wage" from their label rather than a percentafe. Plus signing for a label is very restrictive for an artist. A label will always want artistic input to change what they dont like... plus artists usually get around 15% only as a percentage. Id recommend using social media to and not a lobel to promote yourself. Record albums yourself etc and licence the album to a label for promotion and distribution for a fee. That way the artist has total artistic control.. owns the publishing rights (if you set up a business) and the label "buys" it all from you for a peecentage but in return handle the "get it out there" end of things. Check out this interview with Gary Numan about it... https://youtu.be/t45OEw_05o0

1|0
    0|0
    • I agree with your x factor statement, I think the only winner (s) that are still popular now are Little Mix. And credit to them as they can all sing and perform very well live, and are up around 2am every morning to work work work :)

• Show All
    • I’ll give it a shot, and ps, secret love song is their song which they wrote regarding LGBT rights :)

• Oh really? Thats cool. I've a few gay bi n tg friends

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on what genre. But I find pop music to be utterly disgraceful and brainwashing. It is, in my opinion, no longer about the music, about the art, about the passion. Rather it has become another business. Just a way to earn profit. This is what Hollywood does to you. They make you into this idealistic nonsensical icon that rakes in millions. And for what? So people can wish to be you? Doesn't sound satisfying to me. They have fucked up the beauty of music. But, turn off the radio and find the artists and bands who still appreciate music and create the beauty it was always made to be.
    Lol sorry for the rant. This a subject I am very passionate about, and actually condensed dramatically.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 53

• I like modern music. However, let me clarify that statement first.

I think music today has diversified quite a bit. There are more music genres than ever before, and so with that in mind, I don’t think it’s that music has necessarily became crappier... it’s that some genres are just harder to find than others.

I think labels specifically are both a good and bad thing. For the musicians, labels help give the band exposure at the cost of the musician’s freedom for creativity. Labels help potential fans find a place where bands fall into roughly a similar category. For instance, I know Sumerian Records often has metal bands, so I can look at their signed bands for new metal music. However, if a band starts going more experimental in their sound, a label may pressure them to stick to their formula, or the label may pressure musicians to force an album out by ‘x’ date (even if it isn’t ready).

Now, do I think popular music nowadays is good? I’d say usually no. It is often too processed, where the live sound is nothing like the album... or if played live, the singer is lip syncing while instruments/samples are played by a backing track. This happens in metal too, but for live performances, I am of the belief that everything should be done live. Playing to a click track live, for instance, seems absurd to me.

Other than that, the lyrics are often often repetitive/shallow, the instruments are often extremely basic (i. e. CGFD chords repeat), and the intent for an easily digestable sound stifles creativity.

On the contrary though, I will say that not all popular music is bad. In fact, the sound has seemingly kind of diverged a bit in recent years. There is pop music that has blended with rap/hip hop, and there is pop music that has kind of carried over from 90s pop (but perhaps a little processed). The latter has some minor rock elements to it. The former has gone more electronic.

I don’t think pop music is inherently bad, but people listen to (either for “catchiness” or trendyness) is often bad in my opinion. But hey, my criteria are probably different from others lol. I’m sure people would call what I listen to crap, and I’m sure people would call the music I write myself crap.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think we need producers that are willing to see the success of the past, use past and current breakthroughs in music, and aim for music people want to hear. But also music that conveys important and ethical standards. Motown has taught us that we don't need graphic sexual lyrics for it to be iconic. I say graphic because their can be a place for sexual lyrics but within an appropriate measure. Also use of swearing should be used wisely. I suppose I could refer to Alanis moresete whoses lyrics were at times sexually graphic and unafraid to use swearing. there's also the song by Ms. Brooks "i'm a bi#ch" which was clever. However there's a balance that should be reached. I believe good songs can be on the way, we just need producers to acknowledge and use formats that we successful in the past. We have a problem currently however where producers want music that is cheap and dirty to make money. Musical integrity is upholding standards towards making high quality music. We need more producers to stand up and start accepting music with important emotional lyrics, and music that provokes emotion, sad, happy, angry... Simple songs are good too but we need to look at the songs of the past to make a map of the future

0|0
    0|0
    • The place to watch for great music coming, is American idol, the voice and contests of similar nature, that's where we have gotten great artists of resent years

• Honestly, a lot of mainstream music these days is pretty bland and uninspired. A lot of it is soulless and the writing is really shallow and simply bad.

Melodies are basic and repeat from song to song to keep things palatable. Many artists focus way too much on appearances and controversy than their music.

On the other hand, there are some songs I do genuinely like, and some artists that I consider very likable and distinct. The writing is still mostly shallow, but at least there's emotion.

These are unfortunately overshadowed by "trendy" songs. Things me Gucci Gang or Watch Me, where I simply cannot comprehend why people listen to them.

Indie scene is decent, with quite a few gems in the huge rough. Lots of known and proven bands still making great music. Lots of fantastic new talent. It's great.

Overall, I'm not huge on the direction mainstream music is headed, but I love where indie music is going.

2|1
    0|0
    • I haven’t heard much indie music lately but I hear great things about it. What’s makes it your personal favorite?

• Indie music is full of passionate people doing creative and interesting things.

I'm not exactly a fan of all indie music, there's a LOT of garbage in there. It's just the good ones are really interesting, and there are a lot more options to cater to a wide range of tastes.

I, for example, am a huge fan of indie rock. Bands like Modest Mouse, Wilco and Wolf Parade, I absolutely love. But if you don't like indie rock, then there's still a ton of other genres to sample.

Mainstream music is much more limited. You either love these pop stars and electronic beats, or you enjoy the occasional song that breaks the mold.

• Also, indie tends to be more focused towards the music instead of the singer. You can have a critical discussion about an indie band you like, but just try and have one with a Taylor Swift fan.

• pop sucks, rap is okay, electro isn't music, metal/rock > everything else
    Pop and RnB are basically tools that sell sex you see naked women on screen with rehashed beats and autotuned voices. Lyrics, beat and instrumentals are not done by artists anymore, but by lyricists and sound engineers.
    Metal rules

2|0
    0|0
  • The music industry is really unproductive and the enemy of creativity, what contributes to great music, is not what the music industry is designed to promote, they are there to find a quick fix, to pay for their bills, of the other 9 bands who they lost money investing in, so they need a big hit, that don’t care beyond that. They don’t care about cultivating creativity in the artists, that would be too forward thinking. I think the music industry has made really important changes by this evolution in technology, enabling artists to produce music, and putting the power into back into artists hands, i also think technology has enabled untalented artists to somehow get noticed, by things like auto vocal tune, and making a fart sounds like a symphony

2|1
    0|0
  • Disappointed by this industry.
    Pop in particular seems to prostitute itself on a regular basis. It feels slutty and self absorbed.
    I think it's willingness to explore new formats and improve quality is extremely questionable.
    Which is probably why a computer company owns the best sales platform, I guess. The same industry they used to laugh at, only a few decades ago.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is corrupt and full of terrible people, however if you find the right people there is an awesome community. Depends where you look, hollywood/music is evil, along with other companies too, you have to know how to look for them, but there are many that are great companies too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, music at the moment isn't good enough. Although, I like rock, rap rock so, I get good songs via Montage Rock and Spaceuntravel (YouTube channels)

1|0
    0|0
  • For the popular scene yes, definitely it's not music it's just sounds with a simple beat that repeats. Lyrics have no real meaning other than to talk about sex, girl's, drugs or to repeat the same work over and over to call it a song. Chorus and verse also repear often or all the time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I do think it is. To much crap music bring pumped down our youths throats. Nobody makes music like they used to. That y I stick to music produced back in the 60s 70s nd 80s. Some 90s but only from bands like metallica nd megadeth.

0|0
    0|0
  • The music industry is a business now. It used to be about creativity now, it is a science. They know what the brain wants and the body craves and that crap is delivered

1|0
    0|0
  • The biggest problem is that the music labels take people that are already famous or would already have a large following despite if they're musical or not. This way there is little to no risk in bringing a new person in. Then they promote their songs in all sorts of other media like newer movies coming, or the mall, etc. Then everyone knows it and it becomes a hit.
    Rinse and Repeat.

One way that we could get creativity, innovation, and risk back into the music industry is if a new music label is able to bring on talented groups that become hits, then actually take risks. The new label's music is just simply better so then your label is vastly more popular than the others and the others have to change in order to keep up.

The problem with that is that it is hard to finance such an operation like that so I don't know how to do it.

1|0
    0|0
  • A commercial perversion.
    Real music is made outside of that.

1|3
    0|0
  • It can die in a fire. Haven't heard any good new music in so long.

1|0
    0|0
  • In this game of life, music is the best card of illuminati.

1|0
    0|0
  • Before you needed talented musicians to create music Nowadays people just mix random sounds on a computer by pressing buttons. So yeah, music has been worse. :)

0|0
    0|0
  • It IS an industry and no longer about the music, besides it has gotten worse

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm an aspiring music composer and I've found that if you don't want your life to be a living hell, go indie.

0|0
    0|0
  • It always has been a pile of shit, and always will be a pile of shit.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not a fan of modern music, too much auto-tuning and $$$$$ and not enough talent and creativity. Today's artist, their live performances sound crappier than their studio recordings which are also utter crap.
    Mr. Orbison always was and always be the greatest singer to ever have lived.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iABFZGzEjYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a37tFLckO40

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 10

• I feel like the only mainstream/successful artists are the ones who sound exactly the same, and it doesn't allow for interesting yet different musicians to be popular, with few exceptions.

1|0
    0|0
  • There are gems in the charts who are genuinely hard working and talented. Yet even as a teenager I have barely heard of anybody on the radio, it seems that theyre grabbing any old folk who are willing to be explicit and generic. I am a fan of all music, but I am slowly losing my interest in today’s popular music

2|0
    0|0
    • Yeah I enjoy all types of music also but music today is getting so much easier and repetitive it makes me as a singer/songwriter feel like “talent” just isn’t “in” anymore 😔

• Even if music to headed to worse places, the best songs will always stay. I doubt all 80's music was great but that's because the best songs became classics

0|0
    0|0
  • the modern music industry is ran by clowns that don't care about quality of music at all. nobody can sing. everyone takes their clothes off, etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • It lacks substance than it once did.

Artists now only make a few songs and sit a cash a check.

1|0
    0|0
  • The music that is in today is awful.
    A laptop is not an instrument.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don’t like the fact that most celebrities are basically naked on stage

0|0
    0|0
  • Need more educational institutions... coz people too much busy with sex.

0|0
    0|0
  • The music industry hires some of the worst "artist" out there. Have you heard the recent songs that come out? They all say the same sentence for 3 minuets and have the same drop, sound effect everything!!! I'm so tired of hearing it daily, it's very sad. Occasionally one amazing song comes out seasonally, but every other song is the same repetitive basic trash. In every Genre.
    It's best to just listen to music from unknown artist and old music.

2|2
    0|0
  • Don’t know enough about it to have an opinion

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes