Electric or acoustic guitar for a begginer?

Its necessary to play an acoustic guitar good before trying in the electrical one? I want to learn to play the guitar ( should i join
in "normal" guitar lessons or are there special lessons for electric guitar?) but i dont like the acoustic guitar it sounds boring to me and i dont want to waste the money of my parents in a guitar that i won't use after buying a electrical guitar.

38

Most Helpful Guys

• i made the mistake when i started of thinking i HAD to learn acoustic first.. dont waste time playing music you dont like. your 16 now but when you get older you will have to actually MAKE time for music and its not worth it on an instrument you dont like. Pick electric.

When starting guitar lessons, you are going to learn the basic fundamentals of guitar that apply to both electric and acoustic, including the 12 basic chords, barre chords, pentatonic scales, CAGED system and so on. things maybe be slightly different but for the beginning stages are similar. eventually that path will divide as you start to play to your favourite artists and styles. and you can always go back and learn acoustic later.

• Honestly, to start out acoustic is better! Electrics are usely a lot easier to play compared to acoustics. It's not like you won't be able to play anything on the acoustic you can play on electric (he'll stairway to Heaven is like 5-6 minutes of acoustic guitar). The thing you dont want to be limited by electric or acoustic. Let's say you only learn how to play the electric guitar and you come to someone's house with just an acoustic guitar and you go and play that acoustic guitar. Because you only really play electric and the acoustic guitar is harder to do the chances are that you will probably suck and won't be able to do that much. The transition from acoustic to electric however is a lot easier to do

Most Helpful Girl