Do you think video games are a waste of time?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• In the same way anything that's done for pleasure is a waste of time, it's only considered so if it's done in excess or in place of responsibilities.

0|1
    0|0
    • So true and great points. Compared to most answers on here definitely one of the more mature ones in my opinion.

Most Helpful Guy

• No, they aren´t and they can help you develop motor coordination, so they even serve a physical purpose, but strategy games like age of empires can help you develop strategic views, moba games can teach you about strategic views as well, so there are games that really can help in the development of useful skills and also it is one of the best ways of just relaxing.

0|1
    0|0
    • Strategy, coordination, and relaxation... all amazing points. You truly understand the beneficial properties games bring and I truly appreciate this answer. Hope everyone enjoys reading it as well.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 19

• No, I don't. I think it's important for people to have something fun to do. I happen to like playing video games whenever I have the time.

0|2
    0|0
    • Do you have a favorite go to game? It's been tough for me to enjoy it as much lately when I enjoy working out and feeling good about that. Older I'm getting the more gaming doesn't keep my attention like it used to. Thanks for the comment!

• I play Elder Scrolls Online with @witherwing once a week. That's my favorite at the moment.

• Lots of fun things are technically a waste of time. I still think they should be played.

0|0
    0|0
  • As someone who games when they have time..
    I'd say no lol. I mean I could be doing something productive, but after working outside all day and throwing 40lb bags, I'd like to sit down, relax and play some far cry.

0|1
    0|0
    • Guessing far cry 5? Haven't played many from series but def understand the escapist mentality. Gaming has felt pointless sometimes so really appreciate the perspective!

• I read , a lot. Some play video games. Each helps acquire skills. Gaming can help with hand-eye coordination and reading helps with reading level, intellectual analysis skills, life skills depending on, etc. Everyone does things differently.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not at all, I get a lot of joy out of playing video games, and part of life is figuring out what makes you happy. If something as simple as a video game can bring you some joy, I think it’s time well spent

0|1
    0|0
  • No
    Saying that is like saying any hobby is a waste of time

0|2
    0|0
  • Nope. They bring people together and are a fun and engaging past time

0|1
    0|0
  • No. Video games help with hand and eye coordination.

0|2
    0|0
  • Nope but only on weekend n after the long hard working day.

0|1
    0|0
  • no i love it!

0|1
    0|0
  • Aw hell no, video games work wonders.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. I think they are really cool.

0|0
    0|0
  • Noooooo

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes of course. They waste time like they should

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they are

0|0
    0|0
  • No not really

0|0
    0|0
  • No. It is a hobby. Just like shopping, makeup, cars, collecting things, crafts is to others.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 27

• I used to game literally every free hour (and even when the time wasn't free). I games even when I didn't feel like it. They can be a waste of time, only if you let them. Too much of a good thing is not necessarily a good thing. Time enjoyed is not time wasted.

0|1
    0|0
    • I love this response! I never meant to sound like I personally think it's a waste of time. I was intrigued to see what kind of responses it would elicit. Very well put and hope others read this comment as well!

• Video games for me are like movie. A way to pass time and entertain myself.
    I used to play a lot as a teenager. These days, maybe once per week... There are a lot more things I rather do than play video games these days...

0|1
    0|0
    • See I'm starting to feel that way too when playing solo... now if in a party atmosphere or online I feel it's a great way to have fun and learn about others. Thanks for the comment!

• I guess it's normal. I still like playing and sometimes I still get hooked up by some game. But I've being playing less and less lately

• They are a time sink, but I don't consider it a waste as long as you're having fun. In some cases like with Tetris it can stimulate you mentally, or with online FPS's it can be a veritable bonding experience. I got to know a lot of people there & cemented relationships with friends & neighbors.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not at all, they are amazing. Some are just fun to play, but there are certain games that require of mental and motor skills. Video games teach patience, planning, prediction, memorization, and much more. The beauty of video games is that unlike sports, they have laws that can't be broken. If you make a player trip at soccer and pretend it was an accident, you might get away with it. However, if you make a player trip at FIFA, you will never get away with it. Video games are not perfect, but in my opinion they definitely bring much more to the table (excluding physical exercise).

0|1
    0|0
    • Fantastic answer and beautifully written! It's been amazing to see how much people really care and respect their video games. I do as well. I was just interested to see what kind of responses this question would elicit.

• It's actually amazing to see how other people think similarly to me. There is a Super Smash Bros. documentary that got me thinking differently about video games (before I just liked video games, but now it's also a matter of games that take a lot of thinking and skill).

• Not at all, think of it as modern story telling, and consider how many people come together to play. It's nothing but good

0|1
    0|0
    • That is exactly how I see it! I am just intrigued to see someone not enjoy them on here... I have been surprised to see how many are extremely positive which I think is amazing! Thanks for the comment.

• Depends what your opinion on a waste of time is. I would say yes because you could be doing more beneficial things but also no because you always need entertainment in your life and a way to escape from reality. But this is coming from someone with around 8000 hours on Minecraft so yeah.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think YOU are a waste of time.
    (I'm joking). No, video games are a blessing.

0|1
    0|0
    • To clarify I freaking love games... just intrigued to see the answers to the question.

• Not more than any other hobby.

Actually I learnt English with video games and it worked far better than all the courses I have been taught at school.

You can learn a lot of things depending of the games you play.

0|1
    0|0
  • No... it’s just a hobby like anything else... that being said, everything in moderation... too much of anything can be a problem

0|1
    0|0
  • Playing Video Games as a means of entertainment when you have free time is not a bad thing. No more a waste of time than watching a movie or whatever.

0|2
    0|0
  • they are waste of time, but very addictive too,
    luckily for me, I shaked off my games addiction and I laugh at myself now when I think how many nights I wasted by spending playing.

0|0
    0|0
    • So what is it that you enjoy now and spend your time doing instead? I think they are great in moderation, but agree they can be time sappers.

• Videogames which are meant to waste time (Minecraft) are a waste of time.
    Games like CSGO, PUBG even help you build fast reflexes and better hand to eye coordination

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, that is the entire essence of it, to kill boredom.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Hell no. They're made so that we can take out psychotic tendencies on fictional characters and be somewhere other than this universe.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, everybody needs something fun to do with their time. Play games if that's what you like doing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. They are entertainment like a good book or movie. Some have great scores and epic storylines

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I've even got into game development as my HS major

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes they are indeed especially when you play them on a constant basis

0|0
    0|0
  • Its philosophical question

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes. And I still play them.