If I draw this will it be plagiarism?

I am amateur so I can't come up with drawings without looking from somewhere. If i make a painting out of this random photo i found on the internet will it be plagiarism?If I draw this will it be plagiarism?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Typically in the art world, the rule is that there must be at least 3 significant changes.

For instance, if you change the color scheme to make it a blue gradient, that’s one change. If you change the style/texture of it, that’s another change. If you do something interesting with it (like duplicate it in six panels with different color schemes), that’s another change.

Basically recreating the drawing in just a different medium counts as plagarism. That’s why it’s super convenient to take your own pictures and use those as references. This is also why I drew a lot of doggos in high school— I knew a lot of peeps with dogs lol.

If you submit your art to an art competition, they take the paperwork behind it pretty seriously. You have to submit the reference photo, and if they notice it’s not public domain and you don’t make changes, you’re disqualified.

I had a piece of scratchboard art that was geared to win state and was disqualified because some bullcrap about the citations being incorrect with the reference photo. (Granted, it was the administration that goofed up, but then they said “oh well we messed up, but we already awarded places so we can’t regrade.”) The lesson here: citations are important.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• You can't just outright take other people's photos but you could definitely paint this for an exercise. Just as long as you don't say it's yours.

They dont have to be amazing but you could just get friends to pose for you and do sketches where you add things in (eg your friend is running in the picture and in planning sketches you add like, some giant monster in the BG or something then you paint that scene) then paint that.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• Only if you say it's original.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is only plagiarism of you make any exact copy of it, if you paint it in your own style then that painting becomes your work. Inspiration comes from many sources so of course artist work off of what others have done before them all the time. Does not matter what inspires your painting as long as the painting is your own creation and not an exact copy your fine.

1|0
    0|0
  • Only if you submit it for a grade in art class, enter it in a competition, etc.

If you're just drawing it for fun or for practice, and you don't plan on recieving any credit for it, then you're fine.

1|0
    0|0
  • Inspiration can be achieved from anywhere from nature or another work.. but it's important to keep ur own identity rather copy.. if it's matching ur inspiration then it plagiarism.. by the way u can tell that u have inspired from that work that will keep ur work out of plagiarism

0|0
    0|0
  • its only plagiarism if seek to gain something from it if u do a exact drawing of a famous drawing amd post it on ur social media u can't get in trouble unless ur trying to make money off it. if its for personal use or for comedic or studying purposes u can't get in trouble

0|0
    0|0
  • No, you need to train your drawing skills by copying a tree a car anther photo.. If you worried about legal put a discalimer notice.. Ask avvo. com attorney how to.. Youtube alows you to copy anything so long as your not making money from it...

0|0
    0|0
  • No, you made it into your own version. Now if you were sending it in for something, maybe. If you’re posting it, make sure you mention the source material.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is plagiarism if you attempt to pass off your work as an original.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not unless you make an exact duplicate.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• No, I don't think it's plagiarism. I used to draw pictures that I see on the Internet all the time!

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes