Do you prefer books with or without pictures?

• Prefer with pictures (WHY)
    Vote A
  • Prefer them without (WHY)
    Vote B
  • Depends the genre (WHY)
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Which genre and category do you prefer with/without pictures? Want to hear your opinion on novels and short stories. Fantasy? Crime? Holy books (bible/Qur'an)? Fact books? Sci-fiction? Ya know?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Well at first I was proper afraid about reading a picture book but then I had this horse/unicorn book and about 8 months later I finally had the courage to read it and I loved it, each and every book after was so much more detailed and vivd than films, I wish I read the classics before watching the films (that's my default that as tried as I must I just know if left longer than one or two months it'll still be there later lol πŸ˜…) it gives me such relief since I imagined things a lot differently and so much more ie: Hobbit it made it a lot more magical to me in the end 😘

0|0
    1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Frankly it depends on the genre, like for instant comic strips without pictures are meaningless, so am just going to give my own opinion based on the genre and category from your update.

-Holy Books: without pictures as for no one is still alive to draw what really happened and it would be shame having a person drawing the wrong picture.

-Fact Books, Sci-Fi, Crime, Fantasy: those would be better with few pictures, as for "evidence" of a crime scene, the crime scene itself, the drawing of a UFO, etc... it would spice up the book a bit

-Short Stories: if they are destined to all ages, specially children, it is good to have pictures everywhere to attract them reading the book.

-Novels: I guess they are better without pictures as for they work our imagination.

As matter of fact I am writing a short story destined to mostly all ages. I will have to slide between chapters few pictures/drawing just to give children an idea of the scenes and objects like from our 80s and 90s generations (tapes, Walkman, old voice recording machines, beeper, etc...)

0|0
    1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 25

• I like graphic novels, but literary novels don't seem professional to me if they have illstrations

0|0
    0|0
  • Factual novels have an advantage if they include illustrations relevant to the topic. They make it simpler for the reader to follow every step into the author's mind.

When it comes to fantasy and creative writing, I prefer them without the illustrations.

0|0
    1|0
  • When I was younger, yes. Now, no. It interferes with my imagination. But I don't mind a picture of the main character as a reference to what the author has in mind.

0|0
    0|0
  • Without, because I like to imagine the characters and settings myself without being influenced by pictures

1|0
    1|0
  • I prefer books without pictures, since I like to let my imagination run wild. If I want to see what somebody else imagined, I'll watch a movie.

0|1
    1|0
  • It depends because if I am reading a story then I want my imagination to do the work, but if I am studying then I want as many pictures as possible

0|0
    1|0
  • I read self help books and those I do not care for pictures.
    I also read true crime books, and those do have some pictures in it which is helpful to put a face to a name.

0|0
    1|0
  • I like books either way. Bc it gives me an idea about the book with pictures and no pictures gives me an imagination...

0|0
    1|0
  • Without, I like to use my imagination for characters. Like for fantasy books, novels, crimes. Actual stories with characters.
    But for facts maybe with pictures to make it clear.

0|0
    1|0
  • Tbh, I actually like books in general with or without pictures.

0|0
    0|0
    • I was surprised to see Yoongi but I probably shouldn't have been πŸ‘€

• Show All
    • Hahaha nice to meet you, fam! πŸ˜‰

• πŸ‘πŸ˜

• Without pics because it makes my imagine stuff and it is also beneficial long-term because it improves creativity.

0|0
    1|0
  • I like books without pictures, because I like to imagine it on my own.

0|0
    1|0
  • With pics = illustrations (not photos, if it's not documentary)...
    Give additional pleasure... And double the imagination

0|0
    1|0
  • Prefer with pictures but not much, just some to help imagine things better.

0|0
    0|0
  • without because you get to imagine everything while you read the book

1|0
    1|0
  • Because I can imagine the characters how I want the to be

0|1
    1|0
  • with out i like novels

0|0
    1|0
  • Without pics

0|0
    1|0
  • Without because I like to imagine things myself.

0|0
    1|0
  • With pics bcz then it becomes easier to understand

0|0
    0|1
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 30

• Depends on the genre. Nonetheless, more often than not, I think that any book is better off using as few pictures as possible (note that I'm purposely leaving children's books out of the equation here -- I have absolutely no opinion on those).

I confess I don't read much fiction, but I do believe that in that case there might be some creative uses for a few pictures, but that also depends on the subject of the specific fiction book.

As for books intended to present formal techniques/theories, I will let Dijkstra enlighten us on that matter:

"The habit of using pictorial aids, like any habit, is very difficult to get rid of. If, however, we take any responsibility for the effectiveness of our thinking habits, we should try to get rid of the habit as quickly as possible, for it is a bad habit, confusing and misleading up to the point of being paralyzing."

"A picture may be worth a thousand words, a formula is worth a thousand pictures."

Recommended reading:
    www.cs.utexas.edu/.../EWD696.html

This is not to say that pictures are not ever appropriate in technical literature. However, when they are appropriate and when they are not is a concern which no serious author should ignore, for the reasons mentioned in the above essay. More often than not, they are very inappropriate. This is also one of the reasons why I find most biology books to be so needlessly confusing/overwhelming, and also why many school textbooks in general have so much clutter in the way of presenting the essential aspects the formal system which should be the subject matter of the text (in that connection, pictures are not the only factor contributing to that cluttering aspect: many books also mix expositions of different formal systems in the same text, adding even more to the confusion and difficulty of disassociating independent systems from one another. A classic example is how many Physics texts for beginners interleave explanations of concepts from Mathematics with those of Physics, often doing a very poor job at presenting the former).

0|0
    1|0
  • Without of course. Does I look like 5?
    I only read very less books. I read books from the metro universe (the metro games are based on them) and classics like Knigge. All without pictures and about 500 pages. Only childs read books with pictures in germany...

0|1
    1|0
    • by the way I like it more to let my brain draw the pictures. When I start reading there is like a movie going on in my head. No need for pictures taking over this job.

• Depends on the both the book and the artwork. The art can detract or add to the story. That's why in many cases it's better that there isn't any art. Because if you fuck it up, then you hurt the overall experience. I've seen it done well and well done artwork for books I prefer over no images at all, but no artwork is better than mishandled artwork.

0|0
    1|0
  • Pictures with pics makes the content interesting even if it isn't.
    Seems like we r not just reading the book, we can imagine story around ourselves. Without pics its hard to interpret.

0|0
    1|0
  • β€œHow can you read this? There’s no pictures.” lol Probably without. Let my imagination draw the pictures.

1|0
    1|0
  • The point of the words in a book is to paint the picture of a story while telling it. If you add pictures it steers the imagination and is less interesting

0|0
    1|0
  • Study books with pictures - for better understanding
    Novels (specially fiction) without pictures - to imagine things myself

0|0
    1|0
  • I think that a bit of decoration (e. g. at the start of chapters) adds a nice touch but in most cases, lots of illustrations get in the way a bit.

0|1
    1|0
  • Pictures endere to read and most times also conveys the message that is to be passed even without reading.

0|0
    1|0
  • Because some stories are best read with no illustrations and some stories are best read with illustrations.

0|0
    1|0
  • I like pictures occasionally. It draws away from the constant words and paragraphs.

0|0
    1|0
  • The only pictures needed are maps which are nice. Otherwise it's nice to use your imagination.

0|1
    1|0
  • I'm interested in what characters look like or what locations look like in the book.

0|0
    1|0
  • I actually prefer my books with or without pictures because they're comic books or story books.

0|0
    0|0
  • because I'm reading not looking, I can look at moving pictures on a tv screen.

0|0
    1|0
  • I can't read them shits if there are no pictures. No pictures = I sleep.

0|0
    1|0
  • With pictures. Bcz a picture tells a thousand words. (And its real)

0|0
    1|0
  • With pictures because I'm visual.

0|0
    1|0
  • I don't know. Plus I'm an observant person.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes