Do you prefer there to be tragedy in a movie, show or novel?

I feel like there's almost always some kind of tragedy in any kind of story and I can't stand it. Like the typical plot is the protagonist finds an s/o and the story continues and you develop a bond with the s/o and their character and then at some part of the story, they're tragically removed. I feel like in Code Geass, Shirley didn't have to die. In The Amazing Spiderman 2, Gwen didn't have to die. It's such a common plotline and I feel they would have done much better if they just let them live. We seem to romanticize the concept of tragedy more than happiness. Do you prefer there to be tragedy in a movie, show or novel?
  • Do you prefer there to be tragedy in a movie, show or novel??Tragedy is a must for the plot or any great story.
  • Do you prefer there to be tragedy in a movie, show or novel??Tragedy is overrated. I have enough of reality and just want to see some happy moments.

71

Most Helpful Girls

• I like a little tragedy in stuff. I like happy shows but I think things feel a little hollow if something bad doesn’t happen occasionally

• Sometimes it is necessary to be there so that we won't fantasize that in real life it can be perfect with no sadness

• It can and people have lived happy go lucky lives. It's just extremely rare.

• Living happy go lucky lives doesn't mean there is no sadness or down point in their life. They just had their own way of going through those part of life really fast.

Most Helpful Guy

• If everything was just sunshine and rainbows then you wouldn't have any real drama. But I agree that tragedy has become this cop-out means of getting cheap tears from the audience. It should really mean something to the story