Who is an artist or actor you respect but who's work you don't necessarily enjoy very often?

Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but there have always been people who's work I really respect but when I actually sit down to experience their work, I just can't really get into that often. For me, I have a lot of respect for the artists David Bowie, Bob Dylan and Jack White - but I only really like a handful of Bowie songs and maybe three or four songs from throughout White's or Dylan's careers. But their ingenuity and creativity keeps me listening to them all the time.

Am I just odd or do you guys feel the same way about some artists/actors/painter/what-have-youWho is an artist or actor you respect but who's work you don't necessarily enjoy very often?

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Eric Clapton is a big one for me. His music was groundbreaking but it’s just not my style. However, Tears in Heaven is one song I could listen to over and over again

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• "David Bowie, Bob Dylan and Jack White"
    I respect all of those, but also like much of their work. I'm a Bowie fan and saw him in '74. Bob Dylan I respect more as a songwriter than a performer. I saw him also, and it was the worst concert I've ever been to. But he was one hell of a writer.

People I respect their work but don't necessarily like:
    Hmmm
    Todd Rundgren comes to mind.

Actually with me I think it's much more commonly the other way around. I like their work but can't stand them personally, or their politics. Mark Knopfler would fall in that category.

0|1
    0|0
    • Bob Dylan is definitely better at writing than performing. That's probably why so many people think "All Along the Watchtower was a Jimi Hendrix original.

I think Dylan's best performances are actually in his bootleg albums lol. The more acoustic the better with him.

• Yea, his solo acoustic is much better. I saw him with a full band and it just didn't work very well. They weren't tight at all, like everyone was doing their own thing. The sound was also bad. His songs just don't sound right being amplified and loud, filling an entire arena. I'd rather see him playing acoustic at a bar. That just seems more Dylan-like.

• I completely agree

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

• Well... I respect many artists for their nowelty, rebels, breaking the old standards... Like Picasso, Frida Kahlo and Damien Hirst... But don't appreciate most of their works.

With music it's like that. If I like the song /songs and listen to it intensity... Then I start liking the person... Very often it happens that the artist is the human rights activist or give money charitatively... Like Bjork or Bono.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lady Gaga.

She’s not my style of music, but I like and respect her as an artist.

‘Cause she’s fucking weird.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bob Marley. I am fascinated with him and we have the same zodiac sign. But I really don't know a lot of his music

0|1
    0|0
  • Chris Brown

0|0
    0|0
  • i enjoy the work that i respect

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• Can't think of any bigger, more classic names, but Post Malone lol. I don't really care for his music but I love him as a person

0|0
    0|0
    • That's exactly the kind of answer I'm looking for! Doesn't matter how old or new they are

• The funny thing is I had never listened to any of his songs, never seen any videos of him, then I was watching a YouTube series I like called Hot Ones and he was the guest. He's such a genuine and funny person, I felt like we'd be best buds lmao.

• Oliver stone, Quinton Tarantino, and Stephen king

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm with there on Stephen King. I love some of his work, but it's just that - some. But he has my respect

• John Wayne.

0|1
    0|0
  • I usually automatically enjoy people I respect.

0|0
    0|0
  • Donald Trump.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes