What's your thoughts or prejudices on fanfiction, writers or readers?

I keep noticing that many people either hide the fact they enjoy fanfiction or that many people talk crap about it.
So I want to hear what you think? Why that is, have you tried writing or reading any? Do you know any that enjoys fanfiction?

I really enjoy fanfiction myself, both reading and writing, although I am fully aware that there are a lot of bad ones out there.
For me, I also use it to practice getting better at writing, while enjoying a universe and characters you love.

13

Most Helpful Guy

• In general I sort if link it to smut. I did read a Harry Potter fanfic though (Harry Potter and The Methods of Rationality) which was fantastic. I dare say better than the original.

• Yeah, there is a lot of smut out there. Both good and bad.

Heard of that fanfic, especially from my brother, he loved it as well. There are some great ones out there.

Most Helpful Girl

• I read and write copious amounts of fanfic. Writing is a craft, fanfiction writers are better than a lot of real published authors I've read and they're posting their 500k novels they wrote in their spare time online for no profit.

There is so much fanfiction with very real very raw dialogue.