Why do British music fans love the band Queen so much?

I was shocked to see that Queen topped a poll of popular bands of the past 50 years in the UK. I like a few of their songs, but they're mostly seen as a novelty act here in the US. I am fascinated by the differences in musical tastes between the two countries in any case.
Updates:
Not many of you even addressed the question I posited. The question isn't "do you like Queen?," it was "why is Queen so big in the UK compared to the US?" And most of you got so offended you didn't address this.

The bottom line is this: The UK music scene is a lot different than I realized. Punk, glam rock, and other forms and bands that were never popular in the US are considered foundational there. Same works in reverse. There is no country or R&B in the UK, and they're bedrock here.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, the UK is a very different place. I looked at the same list as you and saw that they rate "Pulp" and "The Charlatans" as top 50 groups. Who in the fuck are "Pulp" and "The Charlatans"? Hahaha Brits... Queen is a big gay act like Cher. Does anyone other than queers listen to her music? No, not really. I just think the British are a lot different than you realize. Just because they speak the same language doesn't mean that they're society is anything like ours.

0|1
    1|1
    • I guess. I honestly didn't think we were so far apart, because I love a lot of British bands.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 9

• What? Queen has a huge following in the US, and in countries other than the UK. They’re iconic!
    Just because they aren’t for you doesn’t mean it’s not big for others... Queen and Adam Lambert managed enough interest for 26 huge tribute shows over the states in the last year, I wouldn’t call that nothing over a band whose headliner died 25 years ago

2|1
    0|0
    • I know people like them, just as Justin Bieber has a lot of fans. But that doesn't mean that Bieber is one of the greatest artists of all time.

• Show All
    • No point in arguing with lets face it a post

• A wooden post

• I am older than you BigJake, and people your age may see them as a novelty act, but people my age don't. They were an immensely popular band of their time, did huge stadium tours of the US. Their musicianship, songwriting and producing talents are still having an effect on musicians of now.

The more I know musicians, the more I know some bands/musicians/singers I thought were just novelties turned out to be hugely influential.

1|0
    0|0
    • My dad is older than you and was a musician in the '70s, and he agreed with me that Queen was a novelty act like KISS. Not that they weren't popular, just that nobody took them seriously, not here, anyhow. I think the culture in the UK is just more different than I realized. Glam Rock was never even that big in the US in general. Bowie was also a much bigger star in the UK than he was in the US. It works the other way as well. Garth Brooks sold 150,000 tickets on his stop in my city alone last year, but nobody would even recognize him if he walked down the street in the UK.

• Show All
    • I'm in the US. I'm speaking of US people I know.

• They weren't The Bee Gees. That's who REALLY got treated like a novelty act in the US.

• Yeah never understood the appeal to be honest. Freddie Mercury was one of the best vocalists in rock full stop but as a unit their music isn't for me. Too "dad rocky" a little bit like ACDC.

0|2
    0|0
    • How is AC/DC "dad" rock, other than that most of their work was recorded prior to 2010?

• Show All
    • To me, all music has its merits, Queen included. My only qualm was that the British fans put Queen at #1 above the Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones, Elvis, Doors, Floyd... all the icons of rock music. I even love dad rock, yacht rock, cock rock, fraggle rock, however one may define them.

• I agree that AC/DC is Dad Rock. Also, they only have one song. And it's not even good.

• I never quite understand the appeal of Queen. I mean, they have really catchy songs, sure. I actually think they're too catchy. Listening to one Queen song every once in a while is fine, but any more than that just annoys the hell outta me.

To me they sound like musical music. It's super theatrical and exaggerated and that's fine if you're into that. I mean, it's funny and all, but I can't really enjoy it in a serious way.

I really like "Under Pressure" though.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah, me too. To me I was drawn to them as a kid because their music was hilarious and over the top, stuff like "fat bottom girls." Classic glam rock, but #1? Don't think so...

• Well, to a lot of people music is entertainment first and foremost. They want it to be over the top, funny, anthemic, exciting, and so on. And that's fine. But to me personally, music is something emotional, something that I want to feel in a serious way.

That's also exactly why I never liked Tenacious D. I mean, they're very talented, but they music is pure entertainment.

• Queen rocks. If you know more about the band, especially the story of Freddie Mercury, then you'd be more impressed with them. He's one talented fellow. I'd go as far as to say he was the greatest voice in rock and probably the best showman next to Michael Jackson.

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm well aware of his story, including his unique ethnicity, his sexual preference, and the fact that he died of AIDS. I've never denied that he was talented, but my question addresses the fact that British fans rate them above the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and many other acts that are considered by nearly every educated observer as being the greatest of all time. That would be equivalent to Aussies placing Midnight Oil #1, or a Southerner placing the Lynyrd Skynyrd at the top. It's an odd stance, to say the least.

• Show All
    • It's not an argument. I asked a question that you "answered" by claiming that the Beatles are garbage, so your pretty much killed whatever credibility you ever had.

• Where did I claim the Beatles were garbage?

• Because they're friggin weirdos lol. Seriously, have you ever watched British TV? I always thought Queen was a satire group growing up because who can take their music seriously.

0|0
    2|0
  • Because Freddie Mercury has too much power. His voice was too good and had too much range

0|0
    0|0
  • Because Queen is amazing

0|0
    0|0
    • In what way?

• Show All
    • Yeah but they’re iconic

• Carpet Demin is saying thay they are good because billions of people like their songs. Nostalgia is powerful.

• There music is okay

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• Queen is not loved just by British music fans. Queen is loved by [All music fans] those who really know a little about music and feel invested and passionate; they would hundred percent have Queen in their list. They are one of the most iconic unique incredible rock bands in the history of music. So i wonder; how on earth you are surprised about this outcome? Queen is pretty popular across the world and people [still] listening to them. I assume what you need is expanding your music experience and get out of the little [U. S] box of [Modernized] bubble gum music in order to see how these iconic bands impacted the music and the people and how their impacts still lives among the music listeners.

I believe UK and U. S aren't superbly different in taste. We have had similar iconic Rock bands coming from the U. S too during the same era. The difference right now comes from the little twist and change around the new generation. in America; the culture goes around the youth and everyone get obsessed with teenager artists very quickly and music somehow turned over to this bubble gum vibe as i've mentioned before. But in Europe; these essential roots of music still get more appreciation by the new generations than in the U. S and i assume England haven't been an exception in this case. This is why English fans still appreciating and keeping icons like Queen well and alive.

1|1
    0|1
    • Nah, you're not even close, so stop trying to tell me who I am. I prefer older music and can't stand new crap like Kanye West. To answer your question, I'm surprised that Queen is rated so highly in the UK because they are considered a novelty act on the order of KISS. You'd get laughed at in the U. S. if you suggested that Queen belonged in the same conversation as the Beatles or Zeppelin.

• Show All
    • That's a pretty weak attempt at trolling, and at the end of everything you wrote, you still haven't answered the question I asked here.

Good luck...

• You're taking the words out of my mouth.

• novelty act in the US?
    they are massively popular. they sold tons of records in the USA. After Night at the Opera they were one of the biggest touring acts in the US. and in support of the News of the World album they were the biggest rock touring group in the country.

Far from a novelty act

0|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • perhaps you see them and some people see them as novelties now but they certainly were not a novelty act at the time. you don't sell 35million albums in the US as a novelty or over 300million worldwide as a novelty.

i can see how in the opinions of some who aren't fans or see them as novelty they are but i think in a broader scope it's hard to call them a novelty. like i personally see hair metal and glam metal as novelty but i admit that is just built out of my own personal taste not seeing the music as especially legitimate or significant

• they were huge in america. why were they bigger in the UK? well they are British. they also sang about certain things that were uniquely english/british that were possibly unrelatable to americans.

but the reality is they were huge in america. perhaps per capita they were bigger in england because of pride in the band and less competition from other bands

• Actually one of the most prolific and we'll crafted music writers I have ever heard. Modern pop music owes them, plus the majority of pop music now sucks arse anyway. No one has and taste, or the gifted wisdom to know what makes good music anymore.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know which u. s. you live in but the one I live in, queen is easily in the top 50 greatest bands of all time.

0|0
    0|0
    • No way. Maybe they have that stature in New York or gay culture, but in the rest of the country They're considered in the same league as a Journey or REO Speedwagon

• Show All
    • So you're admitting you're wrong then.

• Artists and bands are different, I thought that was made clear.

• I'm English but I only like a couple of songs myself. Having said that I know a guy who collects tons of Queen memorabilia.

0|0
    0|0
    • I can see that. Freddie is probably like the British Elvis at this point.

• When a big star dies, they become immortalized. It's that simple

0|0
    0|0
    • I think that's correct. Freddie Mercury was among the first stars to come out as gay and he died of AIDS, so he became a sort of martyr to that community.

• Show All
    • Wrong. Freddie never actually came out as gay and he didn't announce that he was sick with AIDS until a day before he died. Check your facts.

• I knew he was gay ages before it was public knowledge, or bi I guess. I knew he has aids longer than the day before he died too. So I'm not sure what the story is, I didn't follow it closely, I also wasn't shocked by it.

• Bc they were great with Freddy Mercury. And NOT just British music fans

0|0
    0|0
  • I like queen. :(

0|0
    0|0
  • Queen a novelty act in USA? Are you from Texas?

0|0
    0|0
    • Nobody takes them seriously in the same way as bands like the Beatles or Zeppelin. Songs like bohemian rhapsody and we will rock you are incredibly campy and taken as a goof.

• Freddie Mercury

0|0
    0|0
  • Queen is extremely popular in the US... Look at how many of their songs are ingrained in pop culture, especially in regards to sporting events-- We Will Rock You/ We Are the Champions, Another One Bites the Dust. Bohemian Rhapsody is song that you'll hear on any classic rock station at least once a day. That's just a few...

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah, but Journey's songs are ingrained in the culture, too, but no one is claiming they're the greatest band in history. I like some Queen songs. I see their appeal, but it's a matter of degrees that I don't see that level of appeal in their work.

• If you simply google "greatest band of all time" you'll probably get 10 different bands credited as the greatest of all time-- Beatles, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd. Just because one source claims they polled "X amount of people" and the result was Queen, doesn't necessarily make it true. I'm sure in the American South Lynyrd Skynyrd is regarded as one of the greatest bands of all time, but in New York or LA you'd get a totally different answer.

• there are tens of millions of Queen fans in the US that would strongly disagree with what you said.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes