Why do British music fans love the band Queen so much?

I was shocked to see that Queen topped a poll of popular bands of the past 50 years in the UK. I like a few of their songs, but they're mostly seen as a novelty act here in the US. I am fascinated by the differences in musical tastes between the two countries in any case.
Not many of you even addressed the question I posited. The question isn't "do you like Queen?," it was "why is Queen so big in the UK compared to the US?" And most of you got so offended you didn't address this.

The bottom line is this: The UK music scene is a lot different than I realized. Punk, glam rock, and other forms and bands that were never popular in the US are considered foundational there. Same works in reverse. There is no country or R&B in the UK, and they're bedrock here.

913

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, the UK is a very different place. I looked at the same list as you and saw that they rate "Pulp" and "The Charlatans" as top 50 groups. Who in the fuck are "Pulp" and "The Charlatans"? Hahaha Brits... Queen is a big gay act like Cher. Does anyone other than queers listen to her music? No, not really. I just think the British are a lot different than you realize. Just because they speak the same language doesn't mean that they're society is anything like ours.

• I guess. I honestly didn't think we were so far apart, because I love a lot of British bands.