Do you think the Doctor on 'Doctor Who' should be a man?

I'm curious what people think. People assume that anyone who says making the Doctor a woman is a misogynist but I think most of them are just against any kind of major change. I know that's ironic since the doctor is constantly changing but up til now he's always been changing into a man, this is a massive change.
  • Making the Doctor a woman was a good idea
    Vote A
  • I'm against the idea but I'll watch before judging
    Vote B
  • I'll watch before judging but right now it's 50/50
    Vote C
  • Totally against this, I will not be watching until the Doctor is a man again
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I’m very much neutral. I’m in favour of the casting because I think the actress is incredible and see no reason why the doctor couldn’t be played by a woman. Not a big deal at all. I don’t think it’s like this amazing groundbreaking thing either though

0|2
    0|0
  • The Doctor has always wanted to regenerate into a woman. Or a ginger. Perhaps the next regeneration will be a ginger woman!

2|4
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Most of the opposition is probably due to what you claim. Most fanboys, after all, are remarkably immature individuals, so they will get huffy and puffy over every change. Indeed, I'd say that fan reaction to any new Doctor has included great hostility at first.

0|0
    0|0
    • I agree but I also agree with some of the other people on here. This change wasn't for the story, it was to appease the SJW's. Ordinarily I wouldn't have a problem with a female lead, in fact I was a huge fan of the Sarah Jane adventures and am looking forward to the spin-off "Jenny" with the Doctors daughter but they made a good choice for ALL the wrong reasons which is why most fans have a problem with it. Doctor Who should just leave politics out of it because they make it painfully cringy and obvious what they're doing. To me I noticed this when Billy was telling EVERYONE who would listen that she's a lesbian like a vegan.

A good way of doing this would've been how they did it with Alonso the midshipman or Captain Jack. They didn't need to announce they were gay entering a room, it was just normal.

• You sound butthurt and whiny.

• My opinion doesn't match any of the options, so I didn't vote.
    To me, it doesn't matter whether the Doctor is a man or woman, whether he is white or black or Asian or Hispanic.
    I just want to see a really good story and good character development. The Doctor being a woman or not being white has no effect on whether the story is good or not.
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but I thought Mofatt's run was quite good, and I'm reserving my opinion on Chibnall until he's got a couple more series under his belt.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• Yes!

You know, it's not about having a doctor as a woman being the problem. It's about sjw pushing their agendas into tv shows, films and even video games that's the problem. It's purely about a feminist agenda that got into the show, and that's the issue with it.

1|1
    1|0
  • What's wrong with making the doctor a woman? Did you ever think that aliens may not have binary sexes as we do? They might not even have sexes at all! That's some mysoginist thinking

1|0
    0|0
    • Because the Doctors name is a man's name, I can't remember what it was exactly, I think it was John or something along those lines. So since when are women called John?

• Show All
    • @Astoriana I guess you just like to see PC and SJW agendas infiltrate popular and long running shows.

My favourite Doctor was David Tennant's doctor, which is when I felt the show was at it's best.

• @Nachowedgie ten was so whiny. I liked him best with Donna, because she wasn’t immediately seduced by his “good looks” or whatever like Rose and Martha were. I liked Eleven best because he encapsulated the old man in a young body thing best.

• Ngl I was against it - not because she is a woman but I don’t like change, 18 years of my life and they changed from male to female lol so I had to get used to that..

Now it’s great lol - I’m all for a female Doctor Who✨✨✊🏾✊🏾

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's fine, the doctor is an alien. He can take any form he feels.

0|1
    0|0
  • I honestly don't care what Doctor Who is, as long as whoever portrays the character is a good actor or actress.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think is a great idea. 😊 And maybe one day he/she is finally ginger

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't even understand the argument against it.

1|0
    0|0
    • Imagine if they changed Katniss Everdeen or another iconic female character into a man. Yes, you could say it was established the Doctor could be either gender but in the 50+ years Doctor who has been on TV it has been always been a man so everyone just naturally assumed it'd always be men.

• But if the Doctor can regenerate into anything, it makes me rather wonder why it took so long to be a woman.

• It doesn't matter, their species can change genders, just like some species of frogs, toads and fish.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 33

• I've watched the show for a long time. I'm 50/50 on this as the story creators and script writers need to get this right. They have already broken some story rules with the regenerations.
    I have no problem with the doctor being female. But, its coming at time when strong female leads and SJW crap is being shoved down our throats.
    I'm not against strong female roles, so long as it is not done just for the sake of strong female roles.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am open to it. It might take some time to get used to it, and I assume MALE companions, and not the cute women like Jenna, and Karen!!
    I think women are equals, and eventually, they should do this. Just that after longer than I have been alive, they make such a radical change. . .
    You have to imagine some are going to be nervous as to how it will work out!!

0|0
    0|0
  • Look at comics. Playing into SJW identity politics at the cost of breaking canon gained virtually no extra audience but it was received as a big "fuck you" by the all time fans who fled and now comics are going the way of the dodo.
    There's only bad things down this path.

0|2
    0|0
  • I'm simply not really for it because he always was a guy, that's actually quite a big part of the series itself in my opinion. Who cares if he's a guy? I'm against this changing of genders in stuff just because of "equality" in all honesty. It's nothing really major for me but i'm currently kinda ehh about it

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't mind if the right person for the job would turn out to be a woman.
    However, after watching the last season of Doctor Who that was nothing more than an SJW shitfest brought to existence because of UK's gradual regression into a dystopian neo-liberal hellhole, I'm fairly sure the casting choice had nothing to do with ensuring a quality entertainment for me as a viewer.
    And that is why I will give the show a big pass from now on.

0|1
    0|0
    • You know that neo-liberalism is a conservative economic policy, right?

• @Astoriana In economics, yes.
      In foreign politics, "neoliberalism" refers to the belief that friendship is magic and that international cooperation is the key to eternal peace, one that dismisses protectionism and state identity as evil.

• No, formal words and concepts are pretty set in stone. It’s only defined anywhere as a form of laissez-faire economics that favours free market capitalism and eschews the welfare state as a system of governance. There is no political ideology called “neoliberalism” with your definition.

• I honestly don't really care what the Doctor's gender is, but I think they could have been perhaps a little more subtle about doing it just to make a statement about equality or whatever. It's a story, it's fiction, even if it does fit in with its lore. Do it for the lore, not because you're scared of being accused of political incorrectness. The Doctor's gender doesn't really matter in terms of society.

0|1
    0|0
  • This isn't actually the first female doctor. Just the first one with a full series. The precendent for a woman to be the doctor was already there. Only a couple minutes on TV though, mid 90s i think.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn’t have cared a few years ago. But in light of all the gender politics bullshit that goes on now, it feels forced, injected, political. I’m expecting it to have bunch of political jabs and gender based quips, I hope it’s not annoying but I’m pessimistic about it.

0|0
    0|0
    • You know the Doctor is still married to River Song so she will be a lesbian now. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

• @MarketData I so totally don't care about that and I hope there's no stupid political quips about it.

• I think having the doctor could be an interesting take, I don't think that it will be I think it'll be terrible.

Look at how the female doctor has been handled. Hatting this new doctor is because your a sexist! Really because every new doctor has been welcomed with open arms to this point right?

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care about it, since it's a part of the character, who said himself that he could regenerate into a woman.

The problem I have with that change is that it wasn't made for story reason, it was made because they openly wanted to replace a man lead by a woman lead. It was just a SJW move.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not because it's a woman but it's because what it represents.
    Forced pandering to be as pc as possible and because if the regular audience members dislike it feminist and sjws will come to defend them just because it's a woman.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't mind it, but doing it for the sake of diversity? Nah. Political motive.

2|4
    0|0
  • I don’t watch the series and I’m probably never going to, but is there a specific reason why they should change the gender like the ratings went down because it was a men like what’s the reason for changing the doctor to a women I’m not against it even thou it sounds like it but I just want to know what’s the reason?

0|0
    0|0
  • Would be fun if it was a little Asian whoman. But she died within 2 episodes. xD just to try it out. Like half of the fans would be like noooo fuck you. And the other half would be like yeh feminism wooow. And then she dies.

0|0
    1|0
  • The Doctor changes bodies every so often, that's a core part of the plot. I think it's fine if the Doctor is a woman.

0|0
    0|0
  • My only issue with the New Doctor is she's not Dorky/Goofy looking like her male regenerations and that more than anything marks a true Doctor. (At least to me.)

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't care. He/she is an immortal (sorta) alien that can regenerate to new bodies when he dies. Regenerating to a woman isn't that hard to believe lol

1|0
    0|0
  • It's just trying to bring something new to the table to overlook the poor writing and gain traction in the media as being "progressive" is highly market able these days

0|0
    0|0
  • What they should be arguing about is whether an Alien identifies as a male or female of an inferior species

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd be against it for technical purposes, mainly that he is male, the idea that suddenly he is able to change into female despite this never happening before (and in world would have some very strange and disturbing consequences for his species) kind of doesn't quite sit right (its not because its a woman, it would be true if the doctor had always been a woman and then suddenly became a man, it wouldn't fit the narrative of the story (Kind of like plot armor or ex machina, its just awkward from a narrative/writing perspective). I also don't like it because of the political undertones i. e. replace men (imagine if we decided to do that with an iconic female character, have wonder woman suddenly be played as a man, it would be suspicious to say the least).

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes