What do you think about today's music?

013

Most Helpful Guys

• Crap for the most part, with some exceptions. Notice there are no lyrics anymore!! It's just the same phrase over and over. And sometimes not even that! Just "oowwee awwee" over and over lol

• And it all sounds the same too. Nobody is unique anymore. Everyone sounds like everyone else.

• If you mean “today’s music” as in the sense of music that is modern, I think it’s perfectly fine. There are plenty of bands that I have found that I enjoy.

I think a popular misconception people get is that music genres die out. However, I would argue that they don’t die out— they’re just less popular / harder to find. For instance, I found a local kickass band that, in my opinion, kinda sounded like Megadeth at their prime.

It’s not like you’ll find a top 40 band that sounds like Megadeth nowadays, but it is just a matter of knowing where to search for that sound. As for myself, a fan of prog metal, there are plenty of bands out there that I enjoy. Likewise, there has been sort of a resurgence of prog metal in the community as of recent years with bands like Periphery, so I have found plenty of material that I listen to on a regular basis.

If, by “today’s music,” you actually are strictly referring to modern pop though, I’d say I’m iffy on it. Pop has sort of diverged into two main categories from what I can tell. One side has blended with hip hop or is just straight up rap. The other side has kept some slight rock elements but has added stuff like electronic or even dance elements in the mix (i. e. Ed Sheeran).

I like some of the latter cateogory’s stuff, but I’m picky. I generally quite dislike the former category. My chances of liking the song go up more if the instruments are analog (i. e. piano, acoustic guitar) or classic rock instruments (i. e. electric guitar) as oppose to electronic (i. e. aggressive synth leads). In other words, the closer it sounds to Goo Goo Dolls hits, the more I’ll like it 😂