Why are paintings/drawings more pleasing to look at?

Often paintings and drawings are more pleasing to look at than photography. Some good drawings/paintings can be even better looking than some of the best photography.

Average people who are not very attractive or beautiful in real life or photos may also appear more pleasing to look at on paintings etc. Is there a scientific explanation on it?

I know some people may be disagree with me, but it still don't change the fact that it's common to think so.

#Drawing #Painting #Art #Photography
Drawing
Drawing
Painting
Painting
Photography
Photography

1|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 11

• I think the one that is more pleasing to look at depends on the photograph/painting and the person. If you give me a bad painting and a good photograph, I'll take the photograph. If you give me a good painting and a bad photograph I'll take the painting but if I'm given a painting and a photograph that are both extremely good, I'll take the painting because I'm a a lover of drawings and paintings so yeah. But for me, it just has to be a good picture and I'll love it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's because it's our natural instinct to fix the "problems" we find in our faces. Like if you drew a portrait of yourself, you'll find your nose is bigger than you thought and would naturally want to draw it smaller thinking this is how it should look. Plus drawing just isn't able to convey all our flaws

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm an artist. I love drawing and painting people. I do a little photography and it's not nerely as interesting as creating something with your own two hands. A photograph is like a memory. I'm more attracted to videography in terms of recording humans in film. A portrait with tools and medium on some sort of surface is like seeing the inner workings of a persons mind. Their perception at many points in time and life all together in one place for that work of art.

2|1
    0|0
  • it depicts things a little differently than what you see in your everyday life. it may look very realistic, but you can see the medium used and the passion with every line. at least, that's how i see it c:

1|0
    0|0
  • Because in drawings you can add special effects or emphasize the best features in a way that the same person looks pleasant that looks average in photos. Think of photoshop.

2|0
    0|0
  • I think people don't appreciate how hard it is to get a great photo, while it's obvious that it takes a lot of talent to make a good painting.

0|0
    0|0
    • 5d

Yes, I agree. I used to take a photograph class and it is hard to try and get a good photo

• I feel like its because more detail is out into it and its just amazing to see and think about how someone could do it lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I like paintings/drawings more because I respect the skill and time that it takes to create a handmade piece of art. It also feels really personal.

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s great to see how someone could’ve drawn that

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it’s amazing that someone has such talent.

0|0
    0|0
  • They erase flaws.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 22

• I don't prefer one to the other per se, it depends on my mood. Look at how many "filters" there are on modern smart phone cameras and apps. People often have difficulty accepting themselves and more difficulty believing others would accept them just as they are. Traditional portraits are the first filters. The artist's "vision", focus and talent are all buffers between what is seen and what can be seen. Personally, I usually prefer photography, specifically candid photography. I want to see what is. But there have been some very compelling portraits over time. I tend to prefer self portraits; these tell us much more about a subject than any other visual art form I know.
    Here is one of my favorites:
    www.boredpanda.com/.../
    This is kind of a recreation of an experiment performed decades earlier:
    www.openculture.com/.../...esearch-experiment.html

0|0
    0|0
  • They’re all great in different ways, however with paintings/drawings you see a greater deal of creativity and dedication put into it. Painting/drawing that well takes a ton of patience and attention to detail. Photos can be gorgeous, but it only requires tapping a screen. Photos have never required more work than manual development when they were new.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think art is more pleasing to look at because it fires the imagination and thought. A photo may be beautiful but it doesn't raise the same questions. Your imagination tries to "replace" the piece of art with the real thing. So your imagination takes over as to what that real thing really looked like

0|0
    0|0
  • I have 2 theories. First is that you like drawings more bc you need to put a lot more effort into it. Seconds is that in painting you can express yourself, put a little of yourself into it, and you can point out things that you like.

1|0
    0|0
  • They have a texture and the way light can shine on a painting in a museum is dramatic. Paintings are the OGs

0|0
    0|0
  • i can appreciate the drawings & paintings more b/c it's more difficult - it requires more talent (imho) than taking a snapshot.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because a photo shows the reality, the good and the bad. A painting or a drawing is more an interpretation of the reality, therefore can be without flaw if the artist wants it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dunno, but this lady is hot as fuck..

https://i.4cdn.org/pol/1537292945873.jpg

0|0
    0|0
  • In some cases it is because of the symmetry of the painting itself, if somthing s symmetrical your brain enjoys it more than if you see someone who's eyes (even if almost unnoticeable) are uneven.

0|0
    0|0
  • Since I am a renderer (drawings of inanimate objects), artist (oils, pastels, pencil, charcoal) and a photographer (film, digital) for 50 years, I really have no vested interest in which opinion wins ;-) But I digress. There are no published findings about why this might be so. If I were to hazard a guess from the psychological aspect, I would think that there is more of a personal connection between the subject and the image which was drawn by a A HAND rather than a split-second that was captured by A CAMERA. To a lesser degree, someone could get picky and mention aerial perspective vs. depth of field, etc. From the functional standpoint, (arguably) it is easiest to take a decent photo (given camera technology), harder to do a decent painting, but hardest to do a decent drawing (since you are only working with light and shadow). Given that, perhaps the viewers are paying deserved homage to the drawing, the hardest of the three media to master.

0|0
    0|0
    • 5d

Interesting and you've a good point! But for some people it's more difficult to paint than draw, so I think it's really depending on the person.

• 4d

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback. If someone is going to paint the "classic" way (for a portrait that would include the green undertones, etc.) it can be a daunting challenge. Arguably, people view painting as the more interpretive of the two, and expect a pencil drawing/rendering to be very "tight" and close to photorealistic, that being the hardest part to master for that medium.

• 4d

In drawing you usually needs lesser tools and it's easier to control the pencil. You can use less force if you wants a light color, but more force when you goes darker. With painting you've to mix many colors. Even if you wants a light gray, dark gray and an in between. You've to mix all of these colors, but with drawing you're often only using a pencil only.

• That's a pretty broad statement. The idea that one art-form is more pleasing than another is ridiculous. Art, whether it be a drawing, a painting, or a photo, is subjective. What pleases you the most has no bearing on what pleases others. And trying to bolster your opinion by calling it a fact is meaningless. Some people like paintings more then they like photos. That's true. Don't people prefer photography. That is also true. And some people don't like either. Still true. But to say most people like any specific art form is too subjective a statement, too broad, too general. All generalities are false.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because we always want something alien, something new, something different.

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe it could be because when a drawing looks realistic, we admire the time, effort, and skill that went into making it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it has it's own story behind, sometimes they have some meaningful message etc...

1|0
    0|0
  • Paintings got hundreds of years time for development. Theory of forms, colours and so on. In a painting you can choose all of them. In a photo you can choose what to wear what would look good, but you won't take the same approach regards forms and colours as with paitings.

Also your complete some parts in your brain as "it should be".
    A photo is more exact and thus let's your brain less to complete.

It's the same with books and movies. Books are usually more pleasing to people who do both, read, and watch movies, because you imagine some details yourself.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's the "organicness" of the paintings, like the fact that they were made by someone with time and effort and that they are an abstract piece essentially of that person's perception of something. Like it is the way that they feel and see beauty that is reflected in the art. So it is really just the "humaness" and "warmth" that comes from art like paintings that people like more. They seem more like us, not perfect but at the same time beautiful and striking in the way they portray things. Photography just doesn't capture that human aspect but sometimes it can be nice.

0|0
    0|0
  • Eh, reality never lives up to expectations. With a drawing at least there is something left to the imagination

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it reflects the thoughts and the feelings of the artists more.

0|0
    0|0
  • Are they? Most of the images I see these days are not drawn or painted. While that could be because pictures are far easier and quicker to produce it could also be because their more appreciable. To a large degree it likely depends on the quality of either. I'd rather a good photograph than drawn stick figures. Doesn't mean I like photographs more than drawings. Just that I don't tend to like poorly done art regardless of the medium.

Ultimately I'd first have to see some sort of objective qualifying of the idea that paintings/drawing are more appealing than pictures otherwise. Prove that and then I'll weigh in on why I think that is.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think they're all nice to look at.

Simples...

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes