How do you feel about Bert and Ernie being confirmed GAY lovers?

A former writer for Sesame Street is revealing that the characters of Bert and Ernie were gay. In an interview with Queerty, Mark Saltzman was asked the question that many have wondered for years, and in a touching response shared for the very first time that Bert and Ernie were an analog for his own relationship with his late partner, Arnold Glassman.

He also said in the interview that Mr. Snuffleupagus was written like a 'closeted' homosexual, and expressed his remorse about never being able to write the iconic show's first gay storyline.
'I can remember pitching to the education department, the gatekeepers of the curriculum, gay content, just to get it off my conscience. And I can remember being stonewalled in a way that it made me think it was a lost cause,' said Saltzman.

Saltzman said in the interview that he first came to realize the sexuality of Bert and Ernie after a child pointed out the close bond between the two men.

'I remember one time that a column from San Francisco Chronicle, a preschooler in the city turned to mom and asked "are Bert & Ernie lovers?" And that, coming from a preschooler was fun. And that got passed around, and everyone had their chuckle and went back to it,' said Saltzman.

He also revealed that another popular character on the show also had a bit of a gay backstory.

'But those two, Snuffalupagus, because he’s the sort of clinically depressed Muppet…you had characters that appealed to a gay audience,' said Saltzman.

75115

Most Helpful Guys

• Stupid.

They aren't anything. They are puppets, there is no sex life or anything. Stupid people with their stupid adult, personal agendas trying to push this stuff on kids who aren't yet sexual are just kind of sick.

As long as they don't put that stuff in the show itself, which to my knowledge they never have, than I would continue to let my kid watch it but if they ever started to add those topics into the child, puppet show than I just wouldn't let them watch it.

They are puppets. They don't have straight, gay or anything story lines. None of them do so this person just sounds like they are letting their own agendas and issues affect what they say.

• ps - I don't want them to be "straight" either, that's the entire point of kids shows. They aren't SEXUAL at all. They are INNOCENT. Sexual orientations don't apply to puppets. They aren't anything but just cute.

• This is the response everyone should have.

• Like any 2 gays guys in real life, I don't really give a shit.

Should modern kids today learn about the world from things like Sesame Street? I think so. We learned basic Spanish, how to count, what our letters were, that invisible friends were okay, black kids and black people were not treated differently, and a bunch of other stuff. We turned out okay.

Why shouldn't kids learn that sometimes dudes love each other, live together, sometimes even get married, but sometimes not?

No skin off my nose either way.

Bert is still evil though. We all know that, right?

Most Helpful Girls

• Ironic how so many people are commenting that it's a kid's show and sexuality should stay out of kid's shows, but y'all seem to be forgetting that Miss Piggy and Kermit were together too. But that's of course acceptable because they were technically straight! Forget about the fact that they're a FROG and a PIG, still wayyyyy more "normal" than two human-esque gay characters amirite? Ugh y'all are all fuckin hypocrites lol

• Sesame Street has always been a place where the idea was to provide an additional tool to help educate children. They've done it with race, with disabilities, with death, with different languages, etc. Why should this topic be any different? Are we to believe that there are no kids out there that don't have gay siblings, aunts, uncles, parents, cousins, etc? Pretending like gay people don't exist is no better then trying to pretend those with disabilities, or religions, or those of other races don't exist because the topics and issues that surround them are "too difficult," to talk about.

When you teach kids especially the idea of treating others simply the way they want to be treated regardless of what their social title is or will be, you ultimately teach love not hate, and that has always been the biggest lesson of all on Sesame Street.