Why did the 2018 American Music Awards get such low ratings?

Most of the performances were spectacular. Why the low ratings this year? Are younger people just not into it or was Tuesday a bad day for it? If Taylor Swift not cool anymore?
Updates:
Here is a link to the ratings disaster: variety.com/.../

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot of people including myself didn't even know that the awards were on. I don't even recall ever seeing a commercial either I'm kinda bummed i was looking forward to watching it. Next time they should promote it better and Tuesday was a bit of an odd day to show it on...

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• i think it is because music is overly diluted and generally not as good as the past. but i think the real thing is there is so much access to so many different artists that there aren't enough people interested in the people on the awards shows.

0|1
    0|0
    • I notice that my fave songs on Spotify will come out like a year later on the radio. Still, the AMA's are voted on by the people so I am thinking it's the telling people how to vote part that turned people off. Maybe some of the singers were a bit too old to be relevant?

• I think most people are tired of the “holier than thou” far-Left political attitude that the stars and media seem to like to force down people’s throats.

The ironic thing is that I think most people, Right or Left, tend to agree with the premise of what they’re trying to say, but it’s the whole element of ignoring contextual facts and insulting the common folks’ (or the political Right’s) intelligence that pisses people off.

I don’t need to be told to love and accept XYZ people, but if XYZ person is an idiot or does something that puts me on edge or something that makes me lose respect for them, that’s just something that’s going to happen due to their actions. Doesn’t matter their race/gender/religion/if they think they’re a transgender goat... if you act and live well, and in an upstanding and respectable manner, you will earn people’s respect.

This is like real fundamental life skills and social interaction type stuff. Somehow these days people feel like they can be idiots and do the bare minimum and still have it all. Meanwhile, nobody talks about one of our society’s biggest problems... the lack of integrity, accountability, and accepting and understanding consequences of our actions and how they affect others. The inability to accept fault for our mistakes, or life choices, and our shortcomings. The inability to self-reflect.

Everyone blames everyone else but themselves. The Right. The Left. Men. Women. It’s time to own up everyone... I think that, in a sense, it’s half the reason we have such a political divide. Nobody wants to dig down and accept the truth that maybe THEY’RE the ones in the wrong.

0|1
    0|0
    • Funny you mention the insulting part. I have never seen anything as bad as it is these days. Today I went looking for sandbags in case there is flooding. I was treated like a idiot for even asking. Turns out the town I live in does not have pre-made sandbags. The town has play sand and then you have to buy a different bag to put the play sand in. A few old men started to get physically angry because I asked for sandbags which they never heard of before. Well here is the very product I was talking about for $220 less than if I made my own: www.homedepot.com/.../100291336

Yet, the guy at the hardware store will tell all his friends that I am idiot because no such product exists. This is just one item. Next we have the uncivil Demoncrats telling their sheeple to be even more uncivil. So guess what? I don't even vote anymore. All of politics is rotten in my opinion.

• ooops... I meant to put this link which is a sandbag alternative: http://alturl.com/jkaov

• I didn’t vote last time either. It’s almost like I don’t even want to participate or have any part in this political right vs. left war. It’s pointless.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• because they are getting political... people watch these shows for entertainment not necessarily to be told who or what to vote for...
    Entertainers should entertain

0|2
    0|0
  • Cause it came on the same night as DC The Flash, DC Black Lightning, MTV The Challenge, and Marvels The Gifted

0|2
    0|0
  • Taylor Swift isn’t cool anymore

0|1
    0|0
  • I have bigger things to be worried about.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know but I'm not into mainstream music anymore. I didn't watch it because I'm not fond of American celebs anymore. I went to Kpop, Asian music style since it's more about souls, friendship, nature, life, etc. Most American music is all about sex, twerking the bootie, clubbing, etc. That's only my opinion.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because Cardi B performed

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• Because the music sucks...

Why isn't there a metal music awards? There is a hip hop, country, and pop music awards... When are we gonna celebrate the original rockstar? Metalheads deserve credit, they work harder anyway.

0|1
    1|0
    • I am a metal fan, but, it's not a huge market. It's a tiny market now. Hard rock and metal bands are pretty much underground these days.

• Basically what Realworld2017 said. I absolutely love video game OSTs and soundtracks, and those are more commonly far better crafted than typical top 10 music, but they don't get much recognition as the type of people who would like it need to be both gamers and musically engaged. The market's small, so overall the "interest" is lower. Music that's trending will always be most popular cause most people blindly follow trends

• Because entertainers make far left political speeches, it's a whole bunch of people in one tiny segment of society giving each other awards, and the music today sounds awful to everybody except young kids, so older people switch it off and watch Parking Wars.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think most people aemre skipping watching award shows because the don't want to hear the politics in the speeches. The only way to get people back watching is to stick to the music /movies in their speech.

0|1
    0|0
  • Dude i didn't even know there was an American music awards

0|2
    0|0
  • Because music nowadays is awful and even the biggest stars in music are mediocre compared to the ones from the past.

0|1
    0|0
  • music awards for super rich people. why would an average person care about millionares congratulating themselves. its a circle jerk

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think people trust the system that decides who wins.

0|1
    0|0
  • BECAUSE OF SERVICES LIKE...

NETFLIX
    HULU
    ETC...

0|2
    0|0
  • I want entertainment not politics, plus nowadays music is terrible

0|1
    0|0
  • I guess people now understand how fake these pop stars are

1|1
    0|0
  • Because it's irrelevant

0|1
    0|0
  • The MTV awards had the lowest ratings this year as well. I think it's because everything is too political now.

0|1
    0|0

• I am guessing that is main reason because the set designs were some of the best I have seen in awhile. Maybe there were few young singers ages 16-24?

Recommended myTakes