The actor who portrays Big Bird and Oscar The Grouch is retiring after being on the show since 1969. Do you think this is the end of Sesame Street?

The show has been on the air since November 1969. The actor Carol Spinney has portrayed both characters since the debut of the show. Sesame Street is an icon but like all icons, all good things must end. Do you think it's time for Sesame Street to end?

515

Most Helpful Girl

• I sure hope it isn't the end. My older brother and I watched the show when it was still pretty new. You kinda have to understand the time in which it was originally created. It was deliberately educational and created to be a good influence on kids. That was revolutionary in those days. Some people were appalled at the multi-ethnic cast and guests.

We also loved The Muppet Show - my whole family would sit down together to watch it after the 6 o'clock news.

I remember throwing a tantrum at age 4 because Sesame Street just ended and I would have to wait all day before the Muppet Show came on. I was demanding my mother do something to fix this horrible situation.

I once got to see the ORIGINAL Kermit at a museum and when no one was looking I wiggled my pinky finger into the display case and touched the puppet for just a moment.

I am not one who generally get sad over celebrity deaths, but when I found out Jim Henson died, I was at work and I drove all the way home in streaming years. It really felt like a friend dying.

I am glad that Sesame Street has been a part of children's lives all over the world. I really hope it can keep going. Captain Kangaroo is gone. Mr. Rogers is gone. These were very special shows. Sesame Street was and is a genuine good. Would hate to see it go.

• If it does die, I wonder what might take its place? Kids need something. Many children don't have have internet, but they do have TV.

Most Helpful Guys

• I suspect the characters may continue with new people doing them but still end of an era - It has been 15 plus years since my sisters' kids were young and I don't remember Sesame Street being around, it was all Barney - Sesame was around when I was a kid but maybe not internationally after that - It has been a long time since I came across it on a channel flick - Is it still strong in the States?

• Its still on yes and making new episodes, but it's moving to Cable and staying on PBS (The American version of BBC or RTE) as well. Barney is no longer on

• Glad to hear Barney is not on anymore - Drove me mad

• they wanted to bring it back but it was canceled

• Sesame Street survived Jim Henson passing on. It survived Frank Oz retiring. It survived Kevin Clash’s early “retirement” ( scandals of messing with young boys). It survived Richard Hunt’s death, and Jerry Nelson’s. The characters they were known for most have been taken over by other puppeteers. It survived the HBO debacle. It survived the loss of Mr Hooper. It survived the first Gordon’s switch.

Now multiple countries have Sesame Street, all personal to their country’s cultures. Even if ours dies, there will be other countries to continue the legacy.

While Carroll Spinney (Oscar and Big Bird) was incredible, it will survive his retirement, I’m sure.

• Sesame street forever!

• I'll just be curious about the voice. They've found amazing replacements for Grover, Cookie Monster, Elmo, etc... The replacements sound a LOT like the actors best known for making them famous. Hopefully, they can find a performer who sounds like Spinney. They can more easily find operators for the puppet, but the voice has to be close.