What was your favorite story as a child?

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• It was a Japanese one involving tsuru (crane). My father liked to tell that one a lot when I was a little boy. My memory of it is a bit hazy but it went like this:

There was a weaver who made fine clothing and he saw a crane outside with an injured wing and he took care of the crane and nursed it back to health and set it free. Much later a beautiful woman came to him and talked to him and he married her.

To help with the business, the wife often offered him the most beautiful feathered robes to sell, and that made him very prosperous in his job with such high demands for those feathered robes. Yet she asked him never to ask how she created those robes, and never to disturb her when she was creating them.

One day his curiosity got the better of him when he was wondering about what she might be doing so privately and secretly in her room. He opened a door and found a crane painfully plucking its feathers to create a robe. When it caught him noticing, it flew away and never returned, and neither did his wife.

1|2
    0|0
    • Another one involved a hunter and fox. They were the greatest of friends, always hunting together, and in this fable they could talk to each other. But one day the hunter was caught in a blizzard, and he was starving and famished. The fox offered to the hunter to eat the fox, and the hunter refused until his starvation became overwhelming. He cooked the fox over a fire and ate the fox. That filled him with sadness and regret, but he survived the blizzard.

• Another one involved an accountant. He was caught embezzling and committed suicide and went to hell. In hell he tried to plead with the demons to set him free. So the demons said he could leave hell if he could climb a rope back to earth. When they offered him the rope out of hell, he tried to climb, then the other tortured souls came and tried to climb the rope as well. He was trying to kick them and continue climbing, but more and more joined in with the desire to escape hell. In the end the rope snapped and the accountant found himself stuck in hell. The demons impaled him on a spike for display while he was cursed to live forever as an example of how hell is inescapable.

• Japanese tend to like tragic endings more than happy ones. It might be a way to cope with things like the difficulties of WW2. I got a bit of culture shock when I went to the US and found that most things had such a happy ending.

Most Helpful Girls

• Snow White and Cinderella.

Oops... is 2 ok? ... lol

1|0
    0|0
  • The Sovjet versions of Pinocchio (Buratino) and of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (The Wizard of the Emerald city) with all its following books.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 11

• My sister used to read some to me, it was a book series about some teddy bears that were brothers. Don't remember the name. I also loved the Alphapets books.

0|0
    0|0
  • The Raven. My dad used to read it to me every night before bed, and i could recite it from memory by age 4

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm not familiar with that one?

• Show All
    • You're absolutely correct. My Polish side of my family showed me the old children's stories from the motherland... *shudders*

• Yeah it's some pretty macabre stuff. Poe is a little more on the nose than I would think most people would want their kids exposed to.

• Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Sugar is Sweet
    And So are you...

0|0
    0|0
  • The Chronicles of Narnia

0|1
    0|0
  • The wolf and the 3 pigs and little red riding hood

0|0
    0|0
  • The Lorax

0|0
    0|0
  • Rumpelstiltskin

0|0
    0|0
  • Winnie the Pooh anything.

0|0
    0|0
    • Hell still one of my favorite books. I have a leather bound version on my bookcase.

• Timothy Turtle

0|0
    0|0
  • Jimbo khkh

0|0
    0|0
  • Adventures of Tom Sawyer

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 12

• Alexander Panda, whinny the witch, Elmer the Patchwork Elephant, winnie the phoo, Felicity Wishes, Horrible History, The Gruffalo, we're going on a bear hunt, Hungry Caterpillar, the gingerbread man, Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, cat in the hat, George and the Giant Peach and of crouse Alice in wonderful.

I loved story time as a child, I'd even like to write a children's book myself one day. I always make the best storys up for my little cousins when baby sitting.

0|0
    0|0
  • These and more...

0|0
    0|0
  • Me and my dad had our own one about a monkey named George who would go and visit places that I'd been to as a child then go home and eat bananas and go to sleep

0|0
    0|0
  • Flood in the forest
    I knew every single line from that book

0|0
    0|0
  • Sherek😂 I grow up by watching him when I was little

0|0
    0|0
  • Goosebumps
    Berestain Bears
    Little Critters