What was your favorite story as a child?

1413

Most Helpful Guys

• It was a Japanese one involving tsuru (crane). My father liked to tell that one a lot when I was a little boy. My memory of it is a bit hazy but it went like this:

There was a weaver who made fine clothing and he saw a crane outside with an injured wing and he took care of the crane and nursed it back to health and set it free. Much later a beautiful woman came to him and talked to him and he married her.

To help with the business, the wife often offered him the most beautiful feathered robes to sell, and that made him very prosperous in his job with such high demands for those feathered robes. Yet she asked him never to ask how she created those robes, and never to disturb her when she was creating them.

One day his curiosity got the better of him when he was wondering about what she might be doing so privately and secretly in her room. He opened a door and found a crane painfully plucking its feathers to create a robe. When it caught him noticing, it flew away and never returned, and neither did his wife.

• Another one involved a hunter and fox. They were the greatest of friends, always hunting together, and in this fable they could talk to each other. But one day the hunter was caught in a blizzard, and he was starving and famished. The fox offered to the hunter to eat the fox, and the hunter refused until his starvation became overwhelming. He cooked the fox over a fire and ate the fox. That filled him with sadness and regret, but he survived the blizzard.

• Another one involved an accountant. He was caught embezzling and committed suicide and went to hell. In hell he tried to plead with the demons to set him free. So the demons said he could leave hell if he could climb a rope back to earth. When they offered him the rope out of hell, he tried to climb, then the other tortured souls came and tried to climb the rope as well. He was trying to kick them and continue climbing, but more and more joined in with the desire to escape hell. In the end the rope snapped and the accountant found himself stuck in hell. The demons impaled him on a spike for display while he was cursed to live forever as an example of how hell is inescapable.

• Japanese tend to like tragic endings more than happy ones. It might be a way to cope with things like the difficulties of WW2. I got a bit of culture shock when I went to the US and found that most things had such a happy ending.

Most Helpful Girls

• Snow White and Cinderella.

Oops... is 2 ok? ... lol

• The Sovjet versions of Pinocchio (Buratino) and of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (The Wizard of the Emerald city) with all its following books.