How much is too much when describing an outfit of a character?

"Fuck! What a mess!" Yuela said to herself. She went up to her television and rummaged through the bureau underneath. She pulled out her clothes and quickly put them on, settling on a black n blue hoodie and torn blue jeans. Zipping up the hoodie over her white bra, she decided to put on a shirt. She opened a drawer again, pulled out a band shirt depicting a cartoon manta ray made of a salt shaker and looked at it with a little nostalgia.

Ugh, how do I determine if something is irrelevant or not? Everyone seems to look at details differently and trying to figure it out from an author's perspective is hella confusing.

516

Most Helpful Guys

• What you listed here isn't really all that bad but a paragraph amount would be way too much here! It's really cool that we can visualize what they are wearing if it's a book but if it's manga or anime where I can see all this happening, I feel the context would be a bit unnecessary! I can just imagine some anime girl, fantasizing about what she wants to wear for her date that would take about a minute or two worth of dialogue to talk about it xD

• Yeah it's a book.

• Update:
      What matters here is that your audience has a perception and idea of what the character looks like. Explaining what she wears more than once outside a special occasion may be unnecessary since what she wears the first time gives people a sense of identity of not only what she looks like long term but her personality in a way as well! From what you told us in your earlier update, I felt like there wasn't any wasted details and there wasn't anything too excessive you included either. You're on the right track in my mind!

• Update 2: In that case, the details you included are a healthy amount then!

• That was really good, you gave enough detail to paint the picture and you gave context to the decisions.
    You also didn't go overboard explaining details of the outfit like exact color shade.

Screw everybody else, stick with that level lol