Do you put much merit into horoscopes and astrology etc?

Do you think that there's much validity in stars? Horoscopes? Astrology?

Recently I became interested in my sign, moon etc and for me, it's accurate. What do you think?
I think the persona drawn for me for my sign is pretty accurate and no, it's not generic lol... I don't follow my daily, yearly etc horoscope however... 😏

615

Most Helpful Guys

• Zero, but I think it's fun to think about

• Ok, I’m going to go off on a rant, so bear with me.

My stance in a nutshell: Astrology and the like (Horoscopes, cold reading, “mystical forces,” etc.) are illogical, not credible, and in some cases, scams. They are often hurtful to one’s life choices, and one should not believe in them any more than some person he/she has never interacted with claiming to know the future.

Why do I consider them false or lacking credentials?
    1.) The Barnum Effect.
    This is the psychological effect where people are willing to give high ratings of accuracy towards supposedly specific personality descriptions when, actually, said descriptions are actually vague and applicable to many people. Here is it in action, though there are plenty of examples and materials out there online:
    https://youtu.be/haP7Ys9ocTk
    The text used in the experiment:
    micro.lonegunman.co.uk/.../derren-browns-forer-experiment-text

2.) In 2016, the sign dates changed.
    So, in 2016, the signs were changed to make room for a 13th sign. But wait— doesn’t that lead to some problems? What about all the people whose signs were changed? Does this mean, assuming astrology is accurate, that these peoples’ personalities suddenly changes? Think of all those suddenly false tattoos! That wouldn’t make any sense. Or does the change mean that the people whose signs had changed were always misidentified with their original sign? Again, I feel like that is a poor explanation. This is speculation, but if there was a clear divide like that, I can only imagine more evidence on such a phenomenon. Not to mention that wouldn’t make sense for the lucky days or predictions.

3.) The notion that birthdate affects one’s entire life:
    Sure, I admit birth times can affect some things, like one’s proneness to certain allergies due to environmental effects. Throughout one’s life, weather can affect one’s life in multiple ways too— for instance, snow vs a heat wave. But, astrology is based on star alignments and space. Scientifically, it’s been proven false multiple times by Peter Hartmann among others.
    wtamu.edu/.../
    Thinking about it, it also calls to question edge cases. So, if Jan 19 and 20 separates one’s difference between Capricorn and Sagittarius, it calls into question whether a one day difference would have a lifetime change on one’s luck and personality, ignoring changes made by the house/environment grown up in. Plus, would that mean C-sections suddenly dictate personality and lifetime luck?
    There is no significant enough difference between a baby right about to be born vs a baby just born. Same as there is no difference between a baby just born and a baby born a day before. The notion that there is a change based on birthdate like that is, in my eyes, absurd.

Why I dislike it/harmful effects.
    1.) Some people base aspects of their lives off of or are influenced by horoscopes and the like.
    I’ve seen plenty of questions on here even like “I’m a [x] sign and I’m wondering where I can find someone with a [y] sign.” Then, sometimes person is against some other particular signs. This is a good way for someone to miss out on relationships and experiences in life because of someone’s birthday. God forbid they become more accepting of someone they shouldn’t because of their birthdate.
    It’s also very frustrating being judged on one’s sign. Like for instance, a friend brings up a topic for discussion. I state my stance. Friend says “That’s such a capricorn thing to say.” I say I don’t believe in astrology. Friend says, “not believing is such a capricorn thing to say, thereby giving evidence towards it. Likewise, I’ve seen people recommend staying away from certain characters, because “ooh he or she is a virgo (or something of that sort), don’t trust that sign.”

• 2.) Scams.
      This applies more to cold reading and psychics and people of that sort. The issue is how cold reading works:
      https://youtu.be/OlGBXCpGgns
      I trust psychics as much as a guy who I approach who is blind, cannot sense me, and knows about me, but tries to say what clothes I’m wearing. Sure, they could guess really vague things like cotton, machine made, and they may even guess something like “t shirt.” But they couldn’t make any reasonable guesses, and their guesses are in no way credible. And, with no credibility, their statements have 0 value.

Common Rebuttals:
      1.) “Ok, mystical stuff may not be 100% accurate, but I find it generally accurate.”
      Again, refer to the barnum effect and the video. People don’t often find vague descriptions perfectly accurate, but rather a higher degree of accuracy.

2.) “Let people live their own lives. It’s not affecting anyone else.”
      Three points of contention.
      A.) On a personal level, it bothers me when someone judges me based on my birthdate.
      B.) On a more general level, I see it as a system that gives little benefit and can cause harm to people, so I don’t think it’s good for society.
      C.) Scams and the like. I don’t wish people to be scammed out of their money and time. People using peoples’ beliefs as ways to profit is disingenuous and wrong.

• I mean, it's ultimately up to you to decide on what to believe in. I'm only an advice giver. I can only advise not to place any stock in the mystic sort of side of things. Even things that appear specific can be pretty vague-- for instance, the text used in the Derren Brown Astrology experiment. (Link to it under the video) The participants were told that it was a personality analysis, and the text was relatively sizable too. It's only really after being told the truth that it becomes very apparent.

• I agree.. That is why I use it as entertainment and nothing more... 😏

Most Helpful Girls

• Horoscopes are interesting to read and sometimes they can be accurate, but I don't pay much attention to them.

• I love it. Im not sure if i believe it or not but its interesting.