Do you separate the art from the artist?

Meaning if there's singer/actor/etc. who may produce really good content, but their personality is really shitty or they're even an accused abuser or whatever, do you still support their music/movies?

Chris Brown for example, he's a woman beater and has a long history of violence but a lot of people still fuck with his music

719

Most Helpful Girl

• Most of my enjoyment with music comes from what they remind me of so it's kinda hard for me to listen to music if they just remind me of news articles about how the artist abused his wife or something similar even if the song is catchy.

Though, I'm not suggesting that if you do listen to music made by an artist who does shitty things that you support those shitty things or are a shitty person. If you can separate the art from the artist, that's fine, just understand that I can't.

Most Helpful Guys

• I do in most cases. The classic example to me is Wagner. I don’t know how anyone can turn down the flight of the valkyries, but I totally disagree with his anti-semitism. Good art can be produced by legitimately evil people, it’s important to recognize that evil can be charming and talented.

• It's a difficult choice to make. I think Tim Schafer is an absolute hack who can't be trusted with $5 to grab a loaf of bread from the corner store, but Psychonauts is still one of my favourite games of all time.