Do you separate the art from the artist?

Meaning if there's singer/actor/etc. who may produce really good content, but their personality is really shitty or they're even an accused abuser or whatever, do you still support their music/movies?

Chris Brown for example, he's a woman beater and has a long history of violence but a lot of people still fuck with his music

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Most of my enjoyment with music comes from what they remind me of so it's kinda hard for me to listen to music if they just remind me of news articles about how the artist abused his wife or something similar even if the song is catchy.

Though, I'm not suggesting that if you do listen to music made by an artist who does shitty things that you support those shitty things or are a shitty person. If you can separate the art from the artist, that's fine, just understand that I can't.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I do in most cases. The classic example to me is Wagner. I don’t know how anyone can turn down the flight of the valkyries, but I totally disagree with his anti-semitism. Good art can be produced by legitimately evil people, it’s important to recognize that evil can be charming and talented.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's a difficult choice to make. I think Tim Schafer is an absolute hack who can't be trusted with $5 to grab a loaf of bread from the corner store, but Psychonauts is still one of my favourite games of all time.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I always do. I see the work of art as a work of art. But that doesn't the artist is the same.

0|0
    0|0
  • I disagree strongly with the politics of 2 of my favorite authors. But before I knew their views, their stories brought me laughter, intrigue & sometimes tears; so I continue to enjoy their work nonetheless, but clearly wouldn’t discuss politics with them at their book signings, no need.

Politics is the enemy of art anyway; politics divides people (look at the US right now)... art never does, it only entertains you or doesn’t

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Artists work stands or falls on its own. If an artist is a particularly great individual, does their work get better?

0|1
    0|0
  • In my opinion, yes. Sometimes good work is undeniable. If an artist is rude or bigoted, they should be criticized for those traits instead of their art.

0|1
    0|0
    • Why not just accept that people have different opinions?

• Was going to ask where I said people can't have different opinions but I then realized it kind of did sound like that. Anyways I meant that certain pieces of art can be recognized as good, like Picasso's Girl Before Mirror. It'd be presumptuous to say everyone liked it but it was influential for it's time and considered by critics to be among one of many great paintings.
      If his views were different from the majority I think his work would still be famous because people see the art, not the artist.

• No that's a stupid thing to do. How can you separate someone's intellectual property from the owner? That sounds like Communist opinions on artistic production.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's much easier to separate the 2 with modern music since most likely the artist isn't writing all their songs anyway, if any

0|0
    0|0
  • Real art transcends the artist and the medium but nowadays too much art is made by people who just want to be recognized inside of their field so it comes across as academic and soulless.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not at all
    Cuz I never seen anything that could separate them
    I love drawing painting like stuff which I do with my studies

0|0
    0|0
  • I can. Just cuz I like the art, doesn’t mean I condone their life choices

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I really like the music steve earle and Bruce Springsteen write, but I despise their personal political stances.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sadly no you hear something about their lifestyle it affects how you look at there work !!!

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Most 'artist' are fairly batshit nuts. One must separate the two.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't fuck w Christopher Browns music or sexual abuses

0|0
    0|0
  • As an artist myself; I can't separate the two... It's too intimate a connection.

0|0
    0|0
  • Separate, unless it explain the point of view for the art

0|0
    0|0
  • I separate the art from the artist

0|0
    0|0
  • yes in my opinion

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends upon the severity and evidence.

0|0
    0|0
  • In Chris Browns case no. He is a piece of shit.

0|0
    0|0
  • not really, i can't unsee it

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • I do.