Is it grammatically correct to say "Our first date was swimming."?

• Yes
  • No, it should be "Our first date was us going swimming."

16

16
  • Grammatically, yes, it is correct as far as I can tell. However, something can be grammatically correct and not make sense (i. e. “Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.”)

I think that if you told someone your sentence, they’d easily understand it based on context. I think it’d be better though to bring swimming up to the front and say “We went swimming for our first date.” Otherwise it implies a sort of personification to the word date— like it’s an object that is swimming.

“Our first date was us going swimming” is better, but it still sounds odd saying that the date ‘was’ you two. If you want this format, a more expressive verb like “included” or “consisted [of]” would be better in my opinion.

• neither sound right. try this. on our first date we went swimming or we went swimming on our first date

• Neither of those feel right to me. Try "on our first date, we went swimming."

• We went swimming on our first date

• "He almost drowned me with his love."

• Why not "was at the swimming pool"

• Neither of of those is correct.