What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?

MALEFICENT is mine!

When Princess Aurora was in bed dying and her boy couldn't revive her with his kisses and then...

... OMG! I didn't think I was ever going to stop crying! My sisters were in the theater with me and all of us were crying.

If you have never seen that movie... put it as #1 on your short list. You won't be disappointed, I PROMISE!
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?A. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    Vote A
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?B. Cinderella
    Vote B
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?C. Hansel and Gretel
    Vote C
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?D. Beauty and The Beast
    Vote D
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?E. Sleeping Beauty
    Vote E
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?F. Maleficent
    Vote F
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?G. OTHER, see my comments below, or open the survey
    Vote G
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• "Tatterhood." It's a Norwegian fairytale, and it's about the most badass princess ever. ^_^

Short summary (this is the version I grew up with; there are a couple of other versions):

- Childless Queen is told by a beggar woman how to grow two magical flowers. One flower'll be pretty and the other one ugly. The Queen must then eat the pretty flower but NOT the ugly one.
    - Naturally, because nobody in fairytales listens when told not to do anything, the Queen eats both flowers.
    - Nine months later, she gives birth to twin girls. The younger twin is beautiful, sweet and well-behaved. The older twin, the titular Tatterhood, is ugly, rambunctious and violent, she rides on a goat and bops people on the head with a wooden ladle.
    - When the twins are "half grown" the kingdom is invaded by witches and trolls. Tatterhood fights off an army of trolls singlehandedly, but a witch turns her pretty twin into a calf.
    - Taterhood takes her sister-turned-calf on a sea voyage, eventually finding the witch who bewitched her and essentially beating her up until she breaks the spell.
    - After that, the sisters sail the seven seas for a while until they come to a kingdom where the king has two sons. The oldest prince falls for and proposes to the pretty sister, but she refuses to get married unless Tatterhood too gets married. So the oldest prince talks his younger brother into marrying Tatterhood.
    - The youngest prince is REALLY sulky, partly because he's being made to marry when he doesn't want to, but mostly because his bride-to-be is so ugly.
    - The story ends with a really surreal scene where Tatterhood essentially trolls the prince with weird questions and prompts, in the process turning her wooden ladle into a silver fan, her goat into a majestic riding-horse and herself into a drop-dead gorgeous woman.

A lot of people are disappointed by the ending where Tatterhood turns beautiful because she was just that much more interesting as the ugly badass princess... but I like it for one reason: It's hinted that she COULD have turned herself beautiful at any time she wanted, but chose to stay ugly for the hell of it. And when she turns herself beautiful it's essentially a "nyah nyah, gotcha!" moment both to the prince and to the audience.

Fairytales often don't have very strong characterisations, but Tatterhood is a real character. Which is why I love her story. Besides, how often do you get to see an ugly princess who beats up trolls and witches with a wooden ladle?

1|0
    0|0
    • Wow!

What a fascinating story!

You had me memorized with it the whole time, so well recited.

If you are not already a writer... maybe you should be, and write a fairy tale of your own Ms Dina! :)

• Show All
    • Aww, thanks. For the moment I'm only writing fanfics, though...

Oh, and I've been writing/drawing some short comics for the hypnofetish scene, but that might not count?

• That counts, I think you are probably wonderful at what ever you do :)

Most Helpful Guys

• Tough... all of them but... out of the Disney list I am going to say sword in the stone. Not because it is male focused as a female focused version would also have the same idea for me but its about someone insignicant finding their true purpose, I suppose Mulan could involve this too but it is always to me the weak that shames the strong and the one that is chosen is the one that has the proper heart and humility
    What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?

2|1
    0|0
  • I hated Hansel and Gretel because my name is Hansel and people called me Gretel. As fr my favorite fairy tail, I guess its the frog prince

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• when i was a little girl, i loved snow white for some reason. she was my favourite princess. probably because i had never seen belle, and thought they were all blond. but in all honesty, i just loved that story. i knew it by heart and would piss my mother off every time during story time before bed, because i knew when she skipped a page or two.

1|0
    0|0
  • While Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is not my all time favorite, the cartoons coming from the genius of Walt Disney have marked my childhood until now.

Bambi and Dumbo remain my favorites because they are animals and I have a weak spot for animals and a heart for the oppressed/weak.

In Bambi, when he hears the shots fired by the guns and he calls his mother in total despair still make my eyes water to this very day and right now, as I type these lines, I had to stop a moment to wipe this tear that just popped up.

Also, when all the other elephants make fun of Dumbo's ears and he is just lowering his head, totally distressed and hurt inside because he is so different from the others. Damn makeup, the other eyes is shedding a tear now!

I watched all those wonderful cartoons over and over again and I practically knew every line of text by heart.

I can relate a little less with Maleficent, although Angelina Jolie did an outstanding performance shortly after undergoing a double mastectomy and still fighting with the aftermath of her operation.

All the hand drawings by hundreds of true artists have been replaced with special effects nowadays. They are not less amazing but in my eyes, nothing replaces the original Walt Disney cartoons of the 40's and early 50's.

Those are my fondest memories of my childhood fairy tales.

1|0
    0|0
  • The Grimms brothers tales, and some local of the place where I live, especially the Maiden of the woods.
    I remember going in the countryside and leave offerings hoping for her to appear when I was younger.

1|1
    0|0
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?

1|0
    0|0
  • I like the idea of someone being able to see past someone's exterior and love them for who they are on the inside.

1|0
    0|0
  • The one where I'm 16 and meet a gorgeous milf who teaches me how to please a woman... what's the name of that one?

1|0
    0|0
  • I haven't a clue. I am not all that familiar with them. Probably Beauty and The Beast if that counts?

1|0
    0|0
  • The Lorax. He speaks for the trees because the trees have no mouth.

1|0
    0|0
  • None. They are all dark, or gruesome, or fake. I don’t like anyone of those things in my life

0|0
    0|0
    • My my, aren't we having a bad hair day today? ... lol

• Show All
    • It's a deal!

... and I'll wish you a happy and much brighter day :)

• Thank you 😍😘

• i always liked Hansel and Gretel

1|1
    0|0
    • That's kind of a suspenseful one with action and adventure because they get captured and then barely escape alive!

• About all of Grimm's Fairy tales. The real ones.

3|1
    0|0
  • The Gingerbread Man

1|0
    0|0
  • I would say Beauty and the Beast.

1|1
    0|0
  • Beauty and the Beast
    Always.

1|0
    0|0