What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?

MALEFICENT is mine!

When Princess Aurora was in bed dying and her boy couldn't revive her with his kisses and then...

... OMG! I didn't think I was ever going to stop crying! My sisters were in the theater with me and all of us were crying.

If you have never seen that movie... put it as #1 on your short list. You won't be disappointed, I PROMISE!
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?A. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?B. Cinderella
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?C. Hansel and Gretel
    Vote C
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?D. Beauty and The Beast
    Vote D
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?E. Sleeping Beauty
    Vote E
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?F. Maleficent
    Vote F
  • What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?G. OTHER, see my comments below, or open the survey
    Vote G

914

Most Helpful Girl

• "Tatterhood." It's a Norwegian fairytale, and it's about the most badass princess ever. ^_^

Short summary (this is the version I grew up with; there are a couple of other versions):

- Childless Queen is told by a beggar woman how to grow two magical flowers. One flower'll be pretty and the other one ugly. The Queen must then eat the pretty flower but NOT the ugly one.
    - Naturally, because nobody in fairytales listens when told not to do anything, the Queen eats both flowers.
    - Nine months later, she gives birth to twin girls. The younger twin is beautiful, sweet and well-behaved. The older twin, the titular Tatterhood, is ugly, rambunctious and violent, she rides on a goat and bops people on the head with a wooden ladle.
    - When the twins are "half grown" the kingdom is invaded by witches and trolls. Tatterhood fights off an army of trolls singlehandedly, but a witch turns her pretty twin into a calf.
    - Taterhood takes her sister-turned-calf on a sea voyage, eventually finding the witch who bewitched her and essentially beating her up until she breaks the spell.
    - After that, the sisters sail the seven seas for a while until they come to a kingdom where the king has two sons. The oldest prince falls for and proposes to the pretty sister, but she refuses to get married unless Tatterhood too gets married. So the oldest prince talks his younger brother into marrying Tatterhood.
    - The youngest prince is REALLY sulky, partly because he's being made to marry when he doesn't want to, but mostly because his bride-to-be is so ugly.
    - The story ends with a really surreal scene where Tatterhood essentially trolls the prince with weird questions and prompts, in the process turning her wooden ladle into a silver fan, her goat into a majestic riding-horse and herself into a drop-dead gorgeous woman.

A lot of people are disappointed by the ending where Tatterhood turns beautiful because she was just that much more interesting as the ugly badass princess... but I like it for one reason: It's hinted that she COULD have turned herself beautiful at any time she wanted, but chose to stay ugly for the hell of it. And when she turns herself beautiful it's essentially a "nyah nyah, gotcha!" moment both to the prince and to the audience.

Fairytales often don't have very strong characterisations, but Tatterhood is a real character. Which is why I love her story. Besides, how often do you get to see an ugly princess who beats up trolls and witches with a wooden ladle?

• Wow!

What a fascinating story!

You had me memorized with it the whole time, so well recited.

If you are not already a writer... maybe you should be, and write a fairy tale of your own Ms Dina! :)

• Aww, thanks. For the moment I'm only writing fanfics, though...

Oh, and I've been writing/drawing some short comics for the hypnofetish scene, but that might not count?

• That counts, I think you are probably wonderful at what ever you do :)

Most Helpful Guys

• Tough... all of them but... out of the Disney list I am going to say sword in the stone. Not because it is male focused as a female focused version would also have the same idea for me but its about someone insignicant finding their true purpose, I suppose Mulan could involve this too but it is always to me the weak that shames the strong and the one that is chosen is the one that has the proper heart and humility
    What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?What childhood fairy tales are still your favorites?

• I hated Hansel and Gretel because my name is Hansel and people called me Gretel. As fr my favorite fairy tail, I guess its the frog prince