Do you only like music because it's fed to you through radio or do you seek out good music on your own?

Do you seek out good music for yourself?
  • I like music fed to me
  • I hunt for good music

816

Most Helpful Guys

• I've done both in my life. I used to listen to radio, but now I exclusively dig.

I didn't really develop my own sense of music taste until around the end of junior high. Before then, I just listened to whatever was on the radio. Maybe it's because of this experience that I ended up liking the sort of early 2000s alt rock sort of stuff like The Fray, Hoobastank, in addition to Creed. However, when the radio started transitioning to more of the hip hop based techno stuff in the late 2000s, I couldn't get into it and stopped listening to it.

Around that time, I started getting into Rockband 2. That game, besides cultivating an interest in learning music for me, also helped broaden my musical scope. The rock/metal stuff in it really grew on me. I really appreciated the sort of technical difficulty of the music. However, given the game wanted a wide appeal, the music was still (for the most part) only the real popular stuff. A lot of it was likely playing on the radio at one point or another.

The game did help promote a sense of finding material on my own though. Newer Avenged Sevenfold stuff from Rockband 2 led me to older material from them, which then led me to Bullet For My Valentine, which led me to Periphery, ERRA, then Napoleon, and all sorts of new bands. Now I have more of a defined musical taste than when I listened to radio. The downside is that the bands I like tend to be not super popular, so it takes a decent amount of digging. The quality seems to be better, because it is more tailored made to what I want then just me broadly accepting whatever is on. Interestingly enough, it also got me to go to more local shows and meet fans of the genres. Some great bands are hidden in plain site since they just don't have the traction/reach of the larger ones.

• I honestly, am addicted to music that is and has been fed to me but but I have found good albums on my own that were great too!

Most Helpful Girl

• I make my own pod casts so I only have to listen to the music I like. I haven't listened to the radio in years. I also have Sirius Satellite Radio in my car.