Books with real depth?

Regmorus
I am looking for a book with real depth and adequate level of structural complexity written by an American or English author.

It shouldn't be a collection of philosophical essays, but I expect the writing style to be literary and aesthetically at the highest. The author should be a thinker and should require his readers to be thinkers as well. The leading idea and questiions that arise by reading should be the eternal and unswerable ones, maybe such that they can't be properly formulated in words without certain measure of being flattened. The author should be wise to let his readers room for discussion even if he/she him/herself might prefer to regard some answers as more appropriate or promising.

I can't name any example of what I mean from English or American literature yet. That's why I am asking. From foreign authors that would be for example "The eyes of reeason" by Stefan Heym, "Buddenbrooks" by Thomas Mann.

By the way somewhat in this direction is 1984 by Orwell, but it is by far not the level I am looking for. By him everything is too simple and grotesque. He kinda makes attempts in the right direction, but he doesn't have what it takes.

I'll be grateful to you for any sincere and thought through well recommendations.
4 mo
Push + NB: It'd be truly amazing if it was a modern book. I've been kind of losing hope in modern literature since always (world modern literature)
4 mo
Maybe you could help me by that since you are thinkers yourself - if I'm not mistaken - and are on the inside and so with high probability likely to have some distinguished sophisticated tastes in regards American or English literature @IlyaTheImpaler, @Whatthefluff, @AmandaYVR, @Avicenna, @cunnilinguist (, well, you might be not on the inside, I don't remember tbh) ?

Books with real depth?
3
3