Parent: what would you do if your son played videogames 5 hours daily and wouldn't help you with house chores?

What would you do to disciplinate them?
My brother is 16, and has c average grades. After school he goes home and play in its phone until 6pm. Afterwards he will play it's xbox until 11pm. He only stops playing to eat or if he has a project do, and to sleep. He doesn't want to do chores, needer help clean, nor do its own laundry.
I am tired of its attitude and the disrespect towards my parents. The other day I was close to smashing it's xbox and 30 games, because he was screaming at my mom because he was hungry (there was food in the fridge), but I stop because it would cause chaos.
My mother is old already and is showing alzheimer symptoms. She is trying to avoid my brother as much as possible, to avoid confrontations.

Please help? Parent: what would you do if your son played videogames 5 hours daily and wouldn't help you with house chores.?

148

Most Helpful Girl

• Take away his gaming consoles. Don't buy him games anymore. Tell him he has to earn them and that should make him get a job. I have friends and cousins who have brothers who are done with highschool but stays home all day and plays games. They have social anxiety but that shouldn't be an excuse not to help parents out to pay bills. Their parents baby them so they feel it's okay not to work. Maybe stop babying your brother and let him suffer in order to change.

There must be a reason why he is doing all of these things. Maybe he has social anxiety so he rather just stay home and play games. But it seems like it's an addiction and it's not good on his grades either.

Tell him if he can play games all he wants once he finishes school well and goes to a gaming school to find a job...

• Never though of that before. He defense needs to get out more. I will give my parents that as an additional excuse to take his games. He does need to get some fresh air, he looks like a drug addict after 12 hours of gaming in the weekends.

• Tough love. I like that word, will work on that too. Thank you for your advice.

• No problem! Good luck!

Most Helpful Guy

• Before you take the games away have a talk with him about reality. It often happens that a person escapes into video games to avoid reality. He must realize the importance of the situation, but avoids dealing with it. Talk to him. Tell him that you know how hard it is. Form an alliance with him to get things in order. Find a way to explain that you have common goals. Maybe work xbox time into it if both of you do good.

You can always hide the xbox, but he will look for other ways to be self destructive.

• I like your way to resolve problems Leon. But he is just to violent. He has this apps in his phone where he has to play everyday. Crash royal or something like that. Otherwise he loses something. So if we take the phones he get quite violent hitting walls until we give it to him. He doesn't reason anymore.

What Girls Said 13

• Tell him to take the Xbox out side and smash it himself or you are gonna beat his sorry ass. Then tell him to get a job or your gonna smash his cellphone. Then tell him to start doing chores give him a daily list or your gonna take his bed and tv.

• Wow I bet if I do that he will grow up in a heartbeat. At this point, the idea doesn't sound that bad. Thank you for the advice.

• Tell him what it does to you and if he doesn't get it, shut down the wifi, give him certain times to play or hide the xbox! If the xbox is an another room maybe you can lock it from time to time❤️its sounds a little hash but i mean good intentiona with it, because this addiction cam definitly cause some troubles

• You are completely right. He began playing when he got an Xbox as a middle school graduation. Since then he has been playing non stop and has become so aggressive. But I will take your advice, make him understand one way or another.

• I would take the video games away. They can have them when all the work is done.

• He will run out of the house before handing over its phones.

• I'm pretty sure phone companies can limit the amount of data you can use. You could lock his access to data and change the wifi. It'll make the phone games not work. You could always take the phone charger too. You can only use your phone so much until it dies

• The chargers would not work, because if his charges disappear he will know is me and take mine. But I think I will go with blocking him from the wify. So he will only get an hour or two. I just hope he doesn't lie to my parents about doing homework, force me to open the wify, and him playing insetead. But thank you, you have help me a load.

• I'd ground him for a week or until he could show an improvement in his grades and behavior around the house

• We have done that several times, but if we take his phone, and the xbox, he watches anime on his school chrome all day until the punishment comes off.

• Sure

• I would get permission from your mother (unless your already in that position) to suspend his phone line/take the phone away. And flip the breaker switch to his room until he takes care of his responsibilities. If you haven't already maybe discuss with him what value there is in taking care of responsibility and being productive. Then move to the next step if a lesson needs to be learned. Make him earn his free time on the phone & Xbox

• I will thank you for the advice.

• Where is your father?

• My dad is telling that if I ever break it's game, he would through me out of the house for not following his orders. He is a machista.

• Take away all distraction. Education and family are much more important and valuable.

• Very true! That is how it should be.

• Sure do ur parents not do the only use your gadgets until the weekend system?

• No my parent don't care anymore. They just want him to finish high school and work or move out. So for 2 more years they don't care is he plays all day.

• Take the game away from him and tell him he can get it back when he starts helping out around the house

• I have try to do it more often. but he gets quite violent when I try it.

• Disconnect the game console.

• i would feel bad

• confiscate his phone and games, change the wifi password and tell him he'll only get them back when he deserves it. if he continues, stop giving him allowance money (if u do) and cook food he hates

• You gave me a few ideas. Change the wify password and cook food he hates. Thank you

• I would never allow that. What a waste of time

What Guys Said 7

• There's no need to resort to violence, yet. Don't feed him, don't do his laundry, don't clean up after him. Hide the X-Box and the charger for his phone. Then, inform him that his freeloading days are over, and that he will get nothing unless and until he does his chores. If he's violent, call the cops and change the locks.

He's 16 years old. He should have learned all this before he was five. You may have waited too long.

• Thanks for the advice @taleswapper. When we rake his games and phone he gets real violent. Maybe next time I will record him and tell him either he behaves or I will call the cops and show the video. Genius thank you.

• Happy to help.

• Homework gets done before wifi turns on. Lock router in cabinet with physical lock so he can't reset it.

• Hey this could be the solution. PLEASE how can I do this that you mention.

• Yep. Might be listed in the menu. Plenty of youtube sources for this. Comcast can't help him if he isn't on the network at all. I doubt he's that techy to know how to spoof. You still need to lock the router in a cabinet. Hard reset would undo it.

• Well he is quite savvy, more than me actually. But I see what you mean. Block his ip, lock the router under a key. Brilliant, I will check those YouTube videos to be on top. Thank you so much.

• If I wasn't asking him to do any I wouldn't be bothered, if I ask him to do stuff and he refuses to do it, i'll do something about him. If he gets lippy he'll know about it.

He should get his own food the lazy git, or starve

• That is true, can you believe he gets mad because the food is not ready. I guess piss off when he ask my mom to take his food to the room. And she does it because otherwise we would not come out and eat.

• Put your foot down, take away his games, and tell him to spend more time on his school books (study).

• He doesn't lessen, he is aggressive have made holes in the wall and my parents try to avoid him, because he makes a big show when mad.

• Really, i will defenetly check that out. Very helpful!

• Your welcome.

• I play more than 5 hours a day but I still have time to be a good son and help my parents...

• I think you should discipline him abit (Not hitting) but lioe teach him how life really is. He seem spoiled as fuck...

• He is. This other day I told my dad I would sell my bros console xbox360 and 30 games, but then he expect me to get out around the same amount to of money he use to buy all that. I told him is just not possible, then he told me I wouldn't send anything unless it is for the amount he payed. I told him it was not possible, I was still selling it. He told me if I did I would get kick out of the house for going against its word. But funk it, I already call gamestop and I am ready to sell them the game and console. I will have to put hundreds out of my own pocket to make it as much my dad wants. But at least I would be done with one more problem.

• As a guy who spends a good 20 hours a week playing games. I think you should let him play only when he does everything he is supposed to, but just games.

• OK you are a games, so check this out. He comes from school. Gets into playing 2 apps, crash royal and I don't know the other one. Those building thing and battling. He does it for hours. Only stops to eat. Then when my parents tell him to stop with the phones, he goes and plays his xbox for the rest of the day until 11 when he goes to sleep. This last summer he was playing +12 hours of a game dark souls and diablo. Sometimes he is playing the app and watching anime in the laptop at the same time, like wtf. What you think is his problem? Did he went overboard or am I exaggerating?

• Hit me up with the result. Glad to help

• Sure

• Take them all away and tell him to grow up and help

• Thanks for the comment I will work towards a solution.