Am I doing the right thing?

Back in August I moved to a new school where I met this guy and we started dating. He was part of the popular crowd and he wanted me to be friends with his friends too, who were very nice to me. But I was nervous and overwhelmed and I shied away from getting involved with them. It wasn’t long until my boyfriend broke up with me and I was left with no one. I went from the new girl everyone liked to a weird misfit. I’ve been a loner and an outcast since then and it’s been really hard. The only people who talk to me are the really nerdy band kids and lesbians. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t judge them. But I am also not like them.. and I have nothing in common with them. I don’t want to be their friends, I want to be friends with the popular kids (not for popularity, but for a chance to have a real friendship with one of them). So I decided to message one of the girls who used to talk to me on Snapchat and I asked if she would want to hangout and she agreed and told me to let her know when so we could figure something out. If this works out and I start becoming friends with these other kids, I don’t know if I will still be friends with the band kids and lesbians. I sit at their lunch table as of now and I’ll probably end up leaving and sitting with other people if this works out. I don’t want anyone to be offended though and I feel bad. Do you think I’m doing the right thing?
Am I doing the right thing?
Add Opinion