What are ways you can tell when a person is lying to you?

What are some of the tells?

917

Most Helpful Guy

• It's easier to tell if they are lying if you talk to them while they are sitting down vs standing up.

If they are lying, they will feel very uncomfortable, as their braisn work overtime and adrenaline surges.
    They appear nervous.
    They frequently shift their weight.
    Pupils may dialate slightly (it takes practice to learn to notice this one).
    Their breathing rate may increase, as with their heart rate.
    They may pause for a brief moment before they answer, as they are trying to come up with a believable alternative to the truth. They try to avoid direct answers, so if you ask a direct yes-or-no question like "were you at _____ at XXXX time?" And they may respond with "why would I go there?" Or "I have no reason to ever be there."
    They may develop goosebumps.
    Heart rate and blood pressure increase.
    Their eyes frequently dart around rather than remaining fixed on one point.
    They also try to make you feel guilty or uncomfortable for asking specific questions that they don't want to answer.

My careervis in the field of law enforcement. My time at the Academy had two full days on "suspect interviews" and one popular trick is to challenge part of their story.
    Listen to a detail, remember it, then use it again a few minutes later against them with an altered detail. Example: he tells me he was at the store at 7:30 pm buying toothpaste and deodorant. I'll wait several minutes and ask him "so to clarify, you were there at 8:30 pm buying a toothbrush and shampoo?" If he says yes, I know immediately that the story is a fabrication, not a memory. If he corrects me and holds his original story, he MAY still be lying, but it is less likely.

Polygraphs (lie-detectors) are useful because sometimes these involuntary physical clues are so subtle that it's hard to pick up on.

Psychopaths are excellent liars. They genuinely feel little to no emotion during interviews and lack physiological responses. But the BEST liars have perfected a craft I'll never understand: they actually believe their own lies to be true, even though they KNOW it is a lie. Some can even create a memory that never happened from a lie.

Took me many years of practice and training but my job requires me to identify lies and liars, and though I on rare occasion still get fooled, I've gotten pretty good at it.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• they look away or dont respond quickly or even respond too quickly , they try to guilt trip you so you dont pay attention to their lie , they try to add in many topics at once in a convo so you forget their lies and get confused , they get kind of nervous or the words they use aren't the same as they usually speak , they try to make you doubt yourself so you dont suspect that they are lying

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE