What are ways you can tell when a person is lying to you?

What are some of the tells?

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It's easier to tell if they are lying if you talk to them while they are sitting down vs standing up.

If they are lying, they will feel very uncomfortable, as their braisn work overtime and adrenaline surges.
    They appear nervous.
    They frequently shift their weight.
    Pupils may dialate slightly (it takes practice to learn to notice this one).
    Their breathing rate may increase, as with their heart rate.
    They may pause for a brief moment before they answer, as they are trying to come up with a believable alternative to the truth. They try to avoid direct answers, so if you ask a direct yes-or-no question like "were you at _____ at XXXX time?" And they may respond with "why would I go there?" Or "I have no reason to ever be there."
    They may develop goosebumps.
    Heart rate and blood pressure increase.
    Their eyes frequently dart around rather than remaining fixed on one point.
    They also try to make you feel guilty or uncomfortable for asking specific questions that they don't want to answer.

My careervis in the field of law enforcement. My time at the Academy had two full days on "suspect interviews" and one popular trick is to challenge part of their story.
    Listen to a detail, remember it, then use it again a few minutes later against them with an altered detail. Example: he tells me he was at the store at 7:30 pm buying toothpaste and deodorant. I'll wait several minutes and ask him "so to clarify, you were there at 8:30 pm buying a toothbrush and shampoo?" If he says yes, I know immediately that the story is a fabrication, not a memory. If he corrects me and holds his original story, he MAY still be lying, but it is less likely.

Polygraphs (lie-detectors) are useful because sometimes these involuntary physical clues are so subtle that it's hard to pick up on.

Psychopaths are excellent liars. They genuinely feel little to no emotion during interviews and lack physiological responses. But the BEST liars have perfected a craft I'll never understand: they actually believe their own lies to be true, even though they KNOW it is a lie. Some can even create a memory that never happened from a lie.

Took me many years of practice and training but my job requires me to identify lies and liars, and though I on rare occasion still get fooled, I've gotten pretty good at it.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• they look away or dont respond quickly or even respond too quickly , they try to guilt trip you so you dont pay attention to their lie , they try to add in many topics at once in a convo so you forget their lies and get confused , they get kind of nervous or the words they use aren't the same as they usually speak , they try to make you doubt yourself so you dont suspect that they are lying

2|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 16

• Them not looking me in the eye, them saying it pretty quickly like they didn't like saying it, them not wanting to give much detail about it or things not adding up 100%

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm very good in telling when someone is lying, and I think that's because it's because I read someones facial expression and know right away if he or she is lying. Try to test this with someone you know and pay attention to the facial characteristics.
    I'm dutch by the way, so sorry if my grammar is poor.

1|0
    0|0
  • A normal person can't tell a lie with looking eyes... so if a person tries to break eye contact while speaking then he is lying... but still some people are professional liars... they can tell a lie while see in the eyes

1|1
    0|0
  • It's hard to give you the Tails because each person has different towels but you can tell just look right in their face you can tell when they're lying to you it's pretty easy if you're paying attention looking right in their eyes and you'll know right off the back that they're lying

0|0
    0|0
  • You can tell because their facial expression is wrong. It really does require a lot of knowledge about the person to understand when something is not quite right.

1|0
    0|0
  • When they act way too nice trying to convince you to believe them and you can look into their eyes you can tell

1|0
    0|0
  • Details in the story not adding up, not consistent or make no sense.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not maintaining eye contact (looking up, down or left)
    Touching the face

1|0
    0|0
  • So hard to tell. A good facial recognition person can tell, but often that doesn't work... police are trained for it and they still need polygraphs

0|0
    0|0
  • Eyes looking upper left, searching for a good lie subconciously

1|0
    0|0
  • Her lips are moving

2|3
    1|0
  • Foaming at the mouth and a fear of water.

1|1
    0|0
  • Face them

1|0
    0|0
  • Ask them on face if it is a lie

1|0
    0|0
  • Gut instinct

1|0
    0|0
  • Polygraph

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• Lots of fidgeting. No direct eye contact and touching there ears. Its an involuntary thing most people do when they lie.
    I thought this article had some good tips:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/better

1|0
    0|0
  • What are their goals in general? How do they relate to the topic at hand? Would it hurt or inconvenience them to say the opposite? Do they make sense? Do the facts check out? Have they exhibited integrity or the lack there of in the past? Then make an educated guess.

1|0
    0|0
  • Welcome to Gag Town and Best of Luck.
    Offline, Look them in the Eye.
    Online, Giving you a hard Time. xx

2|0
    0|0
  • Well I laugh when I lie for some reason lol so that’s how everyone knows when I tell a lie

1|0
    0|0
  • I trust my guts. besides, I always find it out before I even ask and them denying it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I actually just know. I pick up on their energies

1|0
    0|0
  • if they get angry about you asking

1|0
    0|0
  • When they can't keep eye contact

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes