Why do some people think that men and women can't be friends?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I have four women with whom I'm friends with. For two of them, there is no sexual attraction, and it's easy to be just friends. (Yes, there is an occasional sexual thought, but nothing that gets in the way) For the other two, there is some sexual attraction at times, but I value their friendship, and refuse to act on the attraction, because the relationship with my girl come first, and because their friendship means too much to me, to ruin it by letting myself give in to an attraction. Also, it works because we have unspoken set boundaries, that we don't cross. We have similar moral beliefs, that make it easier.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • Because they think that being close with the opposite sex will eventually lead to sexual tension and desire. They don't understand that not every guy is gonna want to bang his female friend. And vise versa.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Because to many guys it's hard not to have sex in mind while girls need a lot more to see him as romantic partner.

I had guy friends that ended up confessing their feelings. I was far away from any romantic feelings to them. It ended up weird and now we are not friends anymore.

0|1
    0|0
  • Speaking as someone you used to think man and woman can just be friend's from when I've experienced now they can't men will always have sex on the brain no matter what and woman get emotionally attracted

0|0
    0|1
    • This is not true. Most of my friends are girls. I've never had any interest in any of them except for my best friend. But I fell in love with her, for who she is. The physical didn't even matter to me. Men are not just mindless beasts. We have hearts, just as you do.

• @David178 I agree with you.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 29

• Well it's because 70% of the times one of the parties fall for the other one and the friendship goes down the shitter... i had a girl who was one of my closest and best friend and many many people thought we were dating.. later on she told me she needs to be away from me for a while coz her boyfriend thinks she's cheating on him with me... so yeah.. even tho we both knew we were bestest friends but the society didn't let.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because a lot of the time, it usually ends up with one friend developing feelings for the other and it can make things complicated. I'd say, under very specific circumstances, they can be friends because there are always exceptions.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes but u have to set boundaries but i have also had my girlfriends since i was in school. My wife didn't like it at first because we have slept together but she has become friends with them over the years

0|1
    0|0
  • There is girl at work who thinks other male co workers are her friends but when she turn her back they start talking about her body ( butt , boobs... etc ) i tried to give her hints but she had fight with me instead she will learn her lesson the hard way

0|0
    0|0
  • Because society thinks that all men care about is sex, so why would a man just be friends with a woman?

It's stupid. I have a girlfriend and several friends who are female.

1|2
    0|0
  • I'm a sort of believer in this... Friends who aren't married and are physically attracted to each other aren't really just friends. Sex has to be completely off the table or you have absolutely no desire for each other.

1|0
    0|0
  • My most successful friendship was with girls, we are protective to eachother, im a man that knows how men thinks so i would advice her the right thing about her relationship and she does the same to me

0|0
    0|0
  • ... Because sexual attraction makes it challenging.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because women are often in denial about so many of their guy friends. Women believe men want to just be friends but they really want more.

0|1
    0|0
  • Cause in the actual society we live, men and women are usually connected by love, and some closed minds can't understand that not every man fells in love with a woman and the opposite way.

0|0
    0|0
  • Men are only friends for one reason. Orbitors if you will. If a guy is your friend he wants to bone. Unless he's gay.
    I never date women with tons of guy friends.

0|0
    1|0
  • This is a very good question. I think most have to do with cultural appropriation (gene roles, etc.) and independence.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think people always think because teo people of the opposite sex are friends they always assume it to be like a friends with benefits kinda thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because both men and women are sex hungry and are obsessed with sex.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't have no idea why I got a bunch of female friends

0|2
    0|0
  • Don't know, my best friend for close to 20 years is a dudette and I'm a dude and she's the closest friend I have

0|0
    0|0
  • If they think that, the probably struggle with some combination of jealousy and boundaries

0|0
    0|0
  • Because of all the fuckboys and whores they've probably encountered.

0|0
    0|0
  • No one believes that. I'm in too many friend zones to know that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because if you look at most of these friendships usually one of them is attractive and there is no way to be this close to someone attractive and get to know them on a deeper level without feeling somekind of attraction physical or emotional.

Those who say its possible are usually yhe hot ones and never fell for a friend and their friends are too scared to show how much they like them... i had a tleast two girls go from "we're friends" to asking me about dating and what i thought about dating them.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 11

• Guys and girls can totally be friends if one of them doesn't find the other attractive. My best friend was rejected twice by both of her crushes but she still remained friends with those guys. Basically, they never even considered her a prospective girlfriend because they didn't find her attractive.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they can't be, when those types of people talk or be friend with the opposite gender they immediately develop some feelings on the other person and they think it's the same in the case of the others too...

0|0
    0|0
  • Compulsory heterosexuality. If i can manage to be friends with multiple girls, guys, and nonbinary people, straight people can be friends with each other

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm bi so does that mean I can't have any friends? It's silly, I'm not getting rid of any of my friends just because I'm in a relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because some people... umm... god, I don’t know. That’s weird. Anyone can be friends.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they don't see it other than sex.

1|3
    0|0
  • Because men think with their penises

0|1
    1|0
  • I don't know. I have plenty of male friends

1|0
    0|0
  • Stereotypes

0|0
    0|0
  • They think stereotypes are always true.

I have many male friends. Works just fine. I like hanging out with guys more than with girls sometimes, because they're simpler, more straightforward and I like their humor better. *Some* girly girls can be annoying, only talking about clothes and stuff.

0|0
    0|0
  • They’re dumb

1|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes