What do you think of women who are the bread winners of their homes?

1|1

Most Helpful Guy

• I think both partners should work, but if a family finds it optimal for the woman to be the breadwinner, then I don't see a problem with it,

3|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 97

• I think its gross. Why don't they have kids? And if they do, who the hell is taking care of them? And if it was hubby, what kind of man would stay home with the kids while his wife worked? I would have serious concerns about him.

0|0
    6|3
    • Why? Care to elaborate?

• Show All
    • 7d

So if a woman can make more money than he does, I wouldn't call that successful. Men have testosterone and analytical brains, we have evolved for the purpose of interacting with our surroundings to provide for ourselves and our families. I am excellent at making money, which is great because I am terrible at birthing children.

• 7d

@SkyeMind The question comes from if the man is staying home, the mother is out working. Fathers should want to be involved in their kids lives but mothers are much better at it. So by working so the mother can be with the kids is how you best take care of kids. I think its selfish for the man to want to stay home. Like I said, only women can birth children so every time she is pregnant she is shooting her career in the foot. It just doesn't make the most functional sense in any way for the man to be the caregiver and the woman to be the bread winner.

• Please read this article, which clearly shows what will happen when you reverse the roles in the household:
    www.huffingtonpost.com/.../...r-is-_b_1913120.html

0|1
    2|0
    • This is one woman, it's completely absurd to assume that all other relationships won't work out because it didn't for this woman. She's also not just the breadwinner she's the sole earner which is different. On top of that they clearly aren't earning enough with her being the sole earner. They have no retirement fund and are on a strict budget. On top of that he's slacking in his stay at home duties. He's there for their two kids (both who are school aged and don't need Daddy constantly), cooks and OCCASIONALLY cleans. If he's not working he shouldn't be occasionally cleaning. Many people make it work successfully. We really need to stop wasting so much time worrying about how other people make their relationships work.

• Show All
    • And yes breadwinner means the person contributing the most financially to the relationship.

• @coralee
      Thank you for the info, noted!

• I think there's absolutely no problem with it and more power to em'. Why shouldn't women be successful and make a lot of money and take care of their family and themselves? Why does it matter if she makes more money than her SO at all? As long as the bills are getting paid and food is on the table then it is absurd why this should be a problem in this day and age. My wife makes more than me and I am proud of her for it I have no problem with it at all.

3|1
    0|0
  • A recipe for an eventual very bitter wife and a emasculated husband. Eventually the career wife will end up cheating with one of her alpha male colleagues as she become disgusted by her looser beta male husband.

0|1
    5|1
  • I don't see it as much more than any other person working hard and living their life how they see fit. She has a higher risk of being cheated on and is probably more ambitious than most women, but it's hard to tell much about the individual person from just the fact that they support their partner, as I don't even know how the woman feels about it or treats her husband as a result.

0|0
    3|0
  • Too vague a question. Are you saying the guy doesn't work at all? If the couple is fine with their arrangement what do I care. If you mean me personally, how would I feel about it than I'd need more details. I wouldn't want to not work and I wouldn't want to be with someone who is career obsessed and is always gone, someone who travels for work and someone in which our family time together is always at the mercy of her job.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nothing wrong with it at all. If the woman is happy with it and gets all the support she needs from her other half, there should be no problem with it. In today's world we cannot afford to be held back by stereotypical roles. Women are just as capable as being a bread winner as a man is.

2|0
    0|0
  • I think they are the real change, what Im used to see is that if she earns more money they look for someone who earns enough more money, but to bet for a husband who earns less but dedicate themselves to support their wife is a real sign of change

2|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the woman really. In principal, I have no problem with it, but I'd want to feel safe. That means:
    1. She's goid with money.
    2. She's not a dictator or controlling psychobitch from hell.
    3. She loves me and not looking to move on to another guy who gas as much $ as she does.

If I felt OK with those, I'd be fine being a househusband and making sure she had a loving family and home when she got home each night.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think nothing different of them to what I think of men who are the bread winners of their homes. We should be at the point now where either gender can play either role. Remember in a lesbian household there is no bread without a female bread winner. No shame on the guy if his female partner is the bread winner although he should spend his energy making the home nice and lessening the strain for the working member of the partnership.

0|0
    0|1
    • So basically a gay man? How does a normal guy even know how to make a home nice? My girlfriend says I need a new couch but I like mine because its got a soft spot where I always sit that is worn in just for me.

• Show All
    • @bamesjond0069 I am not saying you should stay at home and look after the house at all. Just that if there is a problem with you doing that to my mind it does not come from the fact you are a man.

• Most men are not capable of doing that stuff. Most women are not capable of being the bread winners, unless you want to live on their $50k per year income.

• Not my type, not my case and will never be my case...

In my book, a woman = housewife

The man = bread winner

Man/breadwinner, woman/housewife = traditional gender roles...

This is me, my identity...

0|0
    6|1
  • I'm effy on this topic here's why. Women some women get mad or get in an argument they like to throw in your face they pay all the bills you need to get a better job, a real job, etc. If I fell on hard times due to the recent recession that's different. But I always was raised on man being the hunter gather. I guess it's something I have to get adjusted to.

I can admit i have a lot of pride.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as she doesn't make her husband feel useless, then good for her. That goes for men as well, and it quite often causes a lot of resentment within otherwise healthy marriages. You may not mean to make your husband/wife feel like they're not needed, but when you're so independent and can pretty much do everything yourself, it can often make them feel that way.

0|0
    1|0
  • That's perfectly fine for the woman, but it reflects badly on the man.

1|1
    1|0
    • I think it reflects badly on the woman. She would be absentee mother, which would in my opinion be a bad mother. And if she doesn't have kids, even worse.

• Show All
    • Not wanting kids doesn't mean being self absorbed, but whatever

• @Shimy So then why don't you want kids?

• Good for them, if that's what they want to do? My observation is that that's not what most people want to do, though.

1|0
    0|0
  • If she is hot and wants to pay for everything than I have no problem being a stay at home dad. However, realistically that doesn't work because women are not attracted to men that don't have jobs or just simply can't support her.

0|0
    2|0
  • It cam and probably will always be extreamly attractive.
    For the sake of family frendlieness
    I shall leave it at that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I never got the point of who brings the bread home. I mean most people both work and it doesn't matter who makes more or less.. you should share the money anyways...

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't really think they exist. Women want a man to make more than them.

2|1
    7|1
  • Doesn't matter to me. I think couples should talk, and choose for themselves how they want to do things.

2|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 48

• I find that people who are not passionate about their lives will not be passionate in them. I believe that being passionate about something brings the best out of you; both in work and home environment.

I LOVE what I do. Because I do, I am also successful in my job. Being successful in my job doesn't always mean bringing home "the big bucks" but being content and doing a helluva good job at that.
    Now, I have a decent salary, I won't lie - I have worked my ass off for it. But not for competition or to be the bread winner. I get paid for something I love doing.. Come on now. That is awesome right there!
    I have two children I raised mostly on my own. You CAN do both.

When I was married, I earned more in some periods, in other periods my ex did. Some times I was the bread winner, rest we both were. None of that matters in the sense of who is the bread winner per se. It's about making the joint household happy and on top. If I can do that with my job, I will. If my partner can with his, he will. I wouldn't ever be a stay at home mom. I believe we have different roles in the house, but the responsibility of the survival is 50/50. If that means me working more, and partner less, so be it.

As long as the bills are paid and there's food on the table, and we can enjoy our life - who ever brings home the bread - the household wins.

1|1
    0|0
  • Its always good to be successful at your career but there is a high chance of divorce because woman are used to dating men with more money then than them and if the woman resents the man for making her do all the income earning, she might mistreat him and he could divorce her as a result since men care more about being treated well then they do about income.

0|3
    1|0
    • Hypergamy

• Yeah I agree with all that or the woman meets a man who makes more than her maybe a boss or something and she realizes she wants a man who earns more than her.

• I just know that I worked hard to become successful and to not have to rely on anyone other than myself. I've always been the "bread winner" but I never saw it as a competition, I feel that things in a relationship should be 50/50, as long as my partner is able to take care of his responsibility it really shouldn't be an issue.

1|1
    0|0
    • 50/50, is this your final grade on the exams 😄

I work hard and established the majority of the things that i wanted, not for someone to come and tell me i earn money too, wear the apron and start washing dishes... nooooo mam!

If i had such a girl, i'll burn her with the house 😂

In my book, it says work 24/7, even work in sh*t but never hear a word from your wife that her 1 dollar bill saved while you spent on her thousands 😂

Signature: housewife for life 😊

• I want a relationship where he/her and I both work hard to get our things. I'd preffer a man because I want to have babies of my own after I have babies I'd like to be a stay home mom up to when my youngest child goes to school

2|1
    0|0
    • You are the embodiment of what I fear. My concern is that one day I marry a woman like you that is secretly lesbian that thinks she can work and take care of her family at the same time. You are bound to get divorced when you realize how hard it is to work and take care of kids.

Studies have shown that many women underestimate how hard it is to do both. Also, it is very hard to live on one income. Then when the stress hits you in mid-life and you have a crisis, you will say to me, ''dear, I want to experiment with more women.''

• Show All
    • @iskg679 everyone does honey just relax and try your best okay?

• It is hard to relax when everything is on the line. It would be hard to imagine divorcing a woman that I have kids with and that I love.

• Its ridiculous. Men are supposed to provide for the women. If you are not married, its your fathers responsibility. If you are married its your husbands. Women should not have to work, we have other jobs.

0|2
    6|3
  • Whatever works best for the family. My mum is the breadwinner and it pulled my family out of poverty. If she wasn’t we wouldn’t live as comfortably as we do now.

1|0
    0|0
  • They are smart. their guy will never cheat on her or they will be out the door with no job.

4|0
    0|3
  • Both should be bread winners. It makes both economical and social sense. You can only sympathize, when you know what it is like.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm traditional so I'd never want my man to be a stay at home househusband. I'd definetly never be turned on by him or view him as being my protector if I'm out there bringing home all the $$

0|2
    1|0
  • Hmm I guess I think they look beat down. I much rather stay at home but it still hard work. I guess I value a clean house and healthy kids vs more money and lack of time to spend with family.

1|1
    0|0
  • It's like this with my uncle, he don't work and take care of the kids while my aunt work and i know many others couple like that too, I think nothing of it just that sometime the husband enjoy it a bit too much (sometime it don't work cause the guy is a couch potato who play video game all day but if he do house chores then it's great).

Personally I wouldn't like to be the bread winners but if they like it, it's ok.

1|0
    0|0
  • I’ve always been the primary moneymaker in my home. Right now that’s just me; I’ve been divorced for 2 years now.

1|0
    0|0
  • Hats off to them especially those who are the only bread winner in the family plus single mothers.

1|1
    0|2
  • I think the same f them as I do men who are breadwinners. Good on them

1|1
    0|0
  • It's not a competition. As long as it evens itself out at home and you're not also expected to do all the household chores.

1|1
    0|0
  • Helpful.
    However, I also Call them "Enablers" if they Have a Hubby who is Lazy. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • Well if he his at home taking care of the house and kids I’m ok but if he is at home doing nothing and still expecting her to work all day and come home to still do everything then no I’m not ok. Everyone should help.

0|0
    0|0
  • My fiance and I agree that when I am making a decent salary and we have kids

He will stay home

1|0
    0|0
  • If they are single, fine to be empowered and independent. If they have a husband, I think they should get a divorce because the husband is a lazy prick.

0|0
    2|5
    • You know the woman being the breadwinner doesn't mean the husband isn't doing anything right? He could still be working, his wife would just be making more money making her the breadwinner.

• I don't think much of it, i think it's cool and depending on the household beneficial. It's the 21st century i don't see a reason why only men have to be the bread winner.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes