As a parent, should you love your children more than you love yourself?

Where do you learn to be selfless enough to be a good parent?
  • Loving yourself is more important
  • Loving your children more than yourself is more important

419

Most Helpful Guys

• I still don't understand what "loving myself" really means. It's such a figurative language that creates a mental block for me. I'm not detached from myself in order to love myself as I would another.

But I would say any children of mine would take a priority. If it's between my well-being and theirs, then I'm quite certain I'd choose their well-being if one has to come at the cost of the other. Of course I do believe in things like what they say on airplanes that in an emergency situation, put on your oxygen mask before the child's because if you pass out, both are you are screwed. But that's still prioritizing the child's well-being albeit in a more complex and logical way.

• * [...] because if you pass out, both [of] you are screwed.

• As for where to learn such selflessness, I think it's a natural trait. Any children of mine would carry on my genes even after I pass away. If I die rescuing my child, I'm still being selfish because I'd rather they live on than me if I had to choose. It's in my self-interest to prioritize their life above my own because, in some sense, they are a younger version of me with a future
      ahead of them and a life to navigate and discover.

• If you want to raise some jackass kids, go ahead and "love" them more than you love yourself. You can't teach kids how to function in the real world by babying them. They get out on their own and end up completely lost because they've been dependent their entire lives.

Most Helpful Girl