As a parent, should you love your children more than you love yourself?

Where do you learn to be selfless enough to be a good parent?
  • Loving yourself is more important
    Vote A
  • Loving your children more than yourself is more important
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I still don't understand what "loving myself" really means. It's such a figurative language that creates a mental block for me. I'm not detached from myself in order to love myself as I would another.

But I would say any children of mine would take a priority. If it's between my well-being and theirs, then I'm quite certain I'd choose their well-being if one has to come at the cost of the other. Of course I do believe in things like what they say on airplanes that in an emergency situation, put on your oxygen mask before the child's because if you pass out, both are you are screwed. But that's still prioritizing the child's well-being albeit in a more complex and logical way.

0|0
    0|0
    • * [...] because if you pass out, both [of] you are screwed.

• As for where to learn such selflessness, I think it's a natural trait. Any children of mine would carry on my genes even after I pass away. If I die rescuing my child, I'm still being selfish because I'd rather they live on than me if I had to choose. It's in my self-interest to prioritize their life above my own because, in some sense, they are a younger version of me with a future
      ahead of them and a life to navigate and discover.

• If you want to raise some jackass kids, go ahead and "love" them more than you love yourself. You can't teach kids how to function in the real world by babying them. They get out on their own and end up completely lost because they've been dependent their entire lives.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 17

• I believe spouses should put their relationship as high if not higher than their kids. I know this is unpopular.

The reason being that children BENEFIT MORE IN SUCH FAMILIES. They must fend for themselves more. Also, children benefit enormously when they grow up in a family where MOM AND DAD ARE CLEARLY IN LOVE. I know I did.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd say try seeing things through the eyes of your child. You need to love yourself AND your child. Lead by example, because your child is pretty much guaranteed to follow you

2|0
    0|0
  • I think the love you feel for your child comes naturally. Well it should be. But usually, it's an agape love. Selfless and without question. It's how children survive really, human children anyhow.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, children always come first and no matter what should always be thought of first; that's why you hear so many parents say that they would die for their kids!

0|0
    0|0
  • I think your love for yourself and your love for your child can not be compared. those are completely different feelings.

You love ur children more, but not to the point where you spoil them.

0|0
    0|0
  • You need to love yourself more than your kids. Otherwise you won't be looking after yourself enough to be able to care for them.

0|1
    0|0
  • No those little shits, got to get them slaving around the house early, scrub this, and wash that. Mow that lawn, and take out the trash.

0|0
    1|0
  • This is your replacement in some sorts, I am the last to eat and the first one to be kicked out of house lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Loving your children more than yourself is more important

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, they need you to protect them.

1|1
    0|0
  • When you have kids !!!

0|0
    0|0
  • Could depend on the age and other things...

0|0
    0|0
  • Children always come first

0|0
    0|0
  • Narcissist people would say no.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oops meant B

0|0
    0|0
  • Equally is what I think

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I think so

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• obviously, why would you even want children if you think you're more important than they are

0|0
    0|0
  • Uh possibly?
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

0|0
    0|1
  • You have to love yourself in order to love others.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes