Would you raise your children like your parents raised you?

1|6

Most Helpful Guys

• I don't want children. If we speaks of if-scenarios where I had children I would say that it would be ideal in my opinion if I raised my children like my mother, but I'm not sure if I would manage to do it as well. I'm an impatient and selfish person, so I don't know if I would be motivated enough to put so much effort, money and time in someone else. I loves having spare time and doing what I wants to do, therefor I don't want children.

I would probably be more involved in their dating and partying life than my mother would if I had some. I would learn them how to use a contraception when they're in the partying age, that a no is a no and that unwanted pregnancy have consequences. I would also teach them drinking too much isn't good and more than a cup of alcohol is unnecessary. I would also tell them if they drinks alcohol, smoke or use snus, I won't give any financially support for their driving license. It would be no smoking, snus or alcohol before 18. No dating before 16 and no sex before 18.

0|0
    0|0
  • I did raise my children mostly like I was raised because I thought my parents mostly did pretty well. There were a few differences though. I was much more involved with my kids than my father was and took much different approaches to religion and sex than my mother did, but other than that I think it was pretty similar.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• No way. My dad was cruel and vindictive and abusive and my other was neglectful and hostile and full of hate and abuse and corruption. Also my dad tried to corrupt me morally by teaching me to worship money and beauty and power and social status. He would get angry at me if I failed to hide my emotions and from a young age my dad taught me to lie and be fake and feign emotions I was not feeling. I became anorexic when I was 9 years old because my dad told me that if I wasn't skinny - people would not want to be friends with me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes and No. My parents always taught me the core values in life but prevented me from forming judgements from my own experiences. If they dont like my boyfriend and i dont listen to their advice, it would be wrong to them. But children should (no matter how much you hate the idea/person or disagree) be given the freedom to do what they want and learn from it themselves. This doesn't mean core values shouldn't be taught but for instance (an extreme case) your child decides to try drugs despite everything you have told them what are you going to do about it? You can be mad and disown them for being stupid and disregarding what youve advised but at the end of the day that does nothing. If they land themselves into a bad place thats a choice they have made and their mistake they must learn for themselves.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 37

• No.
    First off, unlike my dad, I want to actually raise my kids.
    Now as for mom (I'll say I give her a ton of credit, being a single mother and all), there are quite a few things I'd like to do differently. First off, I want to accustom them to chores and responsibility. So when they get older, I want to be able to give them freedom and trust they'll be responsible. And if they have a talent (such as musical), I want to encourage them to pursue that, something my mom did not do.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, my parents raised me to believe that dreaming is stupid and that anything that doesn't support moving up the ladder of low level employment is useless. I didn't get the chance to work for my goals when I was young, but my son won't be denied his opportunity.

0|0
    0|0
  • For the most part. My parents did a great job with me and my brother. I see now his wife is raising his kids in a similar fashion and it's working out well.

0|0
    0|0
  • My parents didn't raise me and my grandma basically couldn't because she was already old and working full time 6 days a week.

I basically raised myself, but I raise my children with a lot discipline, guidance and love.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, but with a few changes:
    - I'll get them hooked on great movies and music from a young age.
    - Won't care with taking them to church.
    - I'll try to teach them to stand up for their opinion and be respectful and kind.

0|0
    0|0
  • No because I know what went wrong, and I also know why it went wrong. Of course there are many good things but also some things that had good intentions but bad outcome.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fuck no it took 10 years of therapy to get over the mental abuse and I'm still in constant pain because of the physical abuse

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol. Nope.
    I have better plans. Children would be my top priority.

1|0
    0|0
  • Somewhat. I'd spend more time together playing sporty stuff with them and having family game nights though.

0|0
    0|0
  • no, the children must be raised as their present time, our time has passed and they must be prepared as their time is going..

0|0
    0|0
  • Not exactly, I'd probably be, or at least try to be, stricter.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most likely yes
    But I would push them more towards sports and music that's it

0|0
    0|0
  • If i was Blessed with Children i would never raise
    them the way i was cause my parents were strict
    there was lot ups and downs my parents had many
    disagreements and their marriage ended in a divorce
    my parents believed in spanking and i don't believe in it
    my parents never discussed sexual education with us
    and i believe parents should be more open to discuss
    sexual education and or sexual behavior with their
    children cause every child should know about their
    body and it's changes and masturbation , puberty. etc

0|0
    0|0
  • id probs use the same fundamentals and just improve on them

0|0
    0|0
  • i bet my parents would want me to raise them better. every parent should.

0|0
    0|0
  • For the most part sure just take out the religion and right wing stuff

0|0
    0|0
  • HELL TOOO THE FUCK NOOOOO

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, almost like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • For the most part, yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't want children, but no, i wouldn't

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah. why not?

0|0
    0|0
  • Only few things that my parents did correct

0|0
    0|0
  • Never

0|0
    0|0
  • Fuck no, my mother was awful

0|0
    0|0
  • I would with some alterations here and there.

0|0
    0|0
  • For the most part yes, id like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yupp

0|0
    0|0
  • Pretty close

0|0
    0|0
  • More than likely yes

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't plan on having kids

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 22

• No. I would to some degree but then again the way i was raised had its bad results now after I've grown up.. So I would try to not be a selfish parent and care about what my children want, not only what they need.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think I will be more honest with my kids. I won't hide things from them like my parents did. I won't push them into hobbies they aren't intsrested in or tell them they have to strive to be popular or dress a certain way. My parents were good parents but they had a habit of sheltering me and trying to shape me into who they wanted me to be instead of who I was and it gave me some resentment and a rebellious streak when I was younger

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell no, my dad cheated on my mum multiple times, which I'd never do to my partner nor my family, and my boyfriend's dad left when he was 4 which he said he would never ever do to his own child, just depends on how you grew up.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. My mum and dad are very scirt but also very nurturing, supportive and loving towards me. They always made sure i was well looked after and were scirt because they gave a shit unlike a lot of others parents.

0|0
    1|0
  • Exactly the same. My parents had the patience to get us kids to set our own rules, as to what we thought was reasonable. They rarely got broken, and when they were, it was usually down to an accident.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sort of, but there are several things that I don't want to repeat. If my child is talented in something I would definitely try to encourage and give support to enhance that.
    I'd also try to take care of the child emotions since money and financial wellbeing doesn't necessarily make children happy.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. I am in a emotionally abusive relationship with my parents. I have lost all control over my life. I am living my life like a robot. Due to all these issues I have devloped depression and anxiety. My parents aren't even aware of it, and even if they were, its not like they would care. I have tried every way out, but I am stuck. So, no, I definitely won't raise my children the way they raised me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not totally but my mom did some really great things that I appreciate

0|0
    0|0
  • My mum isn't exactly a good example, but my father raised me well. He did make some mistakes and few bad decisiona but he did teach me morals, all the values and stuff. I'm grateful for that. I would raise my children bit like how my father raised me and I have some other ideas that I think will benefit my child. I will definitely teach my children how to be a good, humble, respectful, hard working, honest and down to earth person. I would try to make them better people than I am and I would give them a very happy childhood. I would try my best to support them in every way, always make time for them and be there for them.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure. My parents focused too much on teaching me to turn the other cheek to the point where I dont know how to stand up for myself properly.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I raised mine very differently. My mother was an alcoholic and abusive, my father was an enabler and distant. So I raised mine very different.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah , sure my dads didn't raise me bad , and my biological/insemination mom.

0|0
    0|0
  • HELL NO!
    I love my daughter.
    That's the major difference.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes ofcourse if i had though hehe

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. My parents are role model for me.

0|0
    0|0
  • No way!

0|0
    0|0
  • In some ways yes. I feel like they have been neglectful in the emotional areas.

0|0
    0|0
  • Never. Im here to heal my dna, my child deserve a bit better.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell no! My parents are abusive I would never hurt my Children. I rather die

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, but I’d probably try to teach my kids how to do laundry and dishes when they get old enough to do so. Lol

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes