Who should be responsible for taking care of the elderly: the government, their families, or the elderly themselves?

1428

Most Helpful Girls

• I think depending on the circumstances it can be any of those answers.

There are plenty of elderly people who are fully capable of taking care of themselves. Then, in some cases, there are families that can't take care of the elderly, for example if they have some severe illness that requires constant medical attention. In those cases medical professional should take care of them. Ultimately, though, I think the responsibility first falls on the family to take care of the elderly that can't take care of themselves.

I would feel like I owe my parents that since they took care of me when I was growing up. People who didn't have a good childhood might think differently, though.

• Ideally, there would be a combination of the three.
    I believe that the government needs to continue to provide supportive services, the elders themselves should have made responsible financial decisions to provide themselves as high a quality of care as they can afford, and that their families are to step in if the elders themselves are incapable.

• 5d

The government has not legal involvement it caring for the elderly, unless there is no family to care for them.

• 5d

What is the purpose of government? Does it exist to support the people who live within its borders (free medical, free schooling, free cell phones, free electric, free internet, on and on and on)? Or is it there to protect its citizens from foreign or domestic enemies. To promote the public good: to promote a sound economy: to secure safe cities to live in free from crime; to provide safe roadways free of criminals and transportation systems to facilitate the transportation of goods and services; To provide justice: The laws must be applied equally to all citizens. To punish criminal activity to deter it from being done in the first place. So, what is the purpose of governments?

• 4d

You seem to be going off topic and using this question in order to feed your own narrative, sir.

Most Helpful Guys

• Family. For my parents, they spent their while lives to provide for me and care for me and have given me the best they could. I have no right to do anything less than that. My parents will stay with me and I'll take care of them till... The day comes.

• Depending on the circumstances, they all can play a role. But I think that the primary person in terms of money should be the elderly themselves. In terms of time should be the family. And the government is only the last resort.