Who should be responsible for taking care of the elderly: the government, their families, or the elderly themselves?

Who should be responsible for taking care of the elderly: the government, their families, or the elderly themselves?

1|1

Most Helpful Girls

• I think depending on the circumstances it can be any of those answers.

There are plenty of elderly people who are fully capable of taking care of themselves. Then, in some cases, there are families that can't take care of the elderly, for example if they have some severe illness that requires constant medical attention. In those cases medical professional should take care of them. Ultimately, though, I think the responsibility first falls on the family to take care of the elderly that can't take care of themselves.

I would feel like I owe my parents that since they took care of me when I was growing up. People who didn't have a good childhood might think differently, though.

1|1
    0|0
  • Ideally, there would be a combination of the three.
    I believe that the government needs to continue to provide supportive services, the elders themselves should have made responsible financial decisions to provide themselves as high a quality of care as they can afford, and that their families are to step in if the elders themselves are incapable.

3|2
    0|1
    • 5d

The government has not legal involvement it caring for the elderly, unless there is no family to care for them.

• Show All
    • 5d

What is the purpose of government? Does it exist to support the people who live within its borders (free medical, free schooling, free cell phones, free electric, free internet, on and on and on)? Or is it there to protect its citizens from foreign or domestic enemies. To promote the public good: to promote a sound economy: to secure safe cities to live in free from crime; to provide safe roadways free of criminals and transportation systems to facilitate the transportation of goods and services; To provide justice: The laws must be applied equally to all citizens. To punish criminal activity to deter it from being done in the first place. So, what is the purpose of governments?

• 4d

You seem to be going off topic and using this question in order to feed your own narrative, sir.

Most Helpful Guys

• Family. For my parents, they spent their while lives to provide for me and care for me and have given me the best they could. I have no right to do anything less than that. My parents will stay with me and I'll take care of them till... The day comes.

1|3
    0|0
  • Depending on the circumstances, they all can play a role. But I think that the primary person in terms of money should be the elderly themselves. In terms of time should be the family. And the government is only the last resort.

2|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• The Bible says to “Honor thy Father and Mother” so when my parents grow to an old enough age it will be the responsibility of me and my brother to help take care of them. Why would the government be expected to?

2|1
    1|1
  • Sorry to be that guy but the elderly are their the first place because they cannot look after themselves, it can be very straining for families to look after them in some cases like dementia or other illness like them, at least the government can make money out looking after them with privet care and in every case make more job's available to tax them thus making more than enough back.

1|0
    0|0
  • The government.
    The elderly spent their lives paying into the nhs, the pension schemes, national insurance, etc. They paid their way.
    Unfortunately the government spent so much on salaries they are penalising the young to maintain it. They need to stop paying themselves so much for fuck all. The times I’ve tried to use government schemes I’ve had to turn to private alternatives to get the result and it’s left me penniless.

1|0
    0|0
    • 5d

The family is the first line of help. The government has not legal involvement it caring for the elderly, unless there is no family to care for them.

• Show All
    • 3d

I lived in England and it was destroyed then (1972) people were impoverished and could not afford the basics, at the hotels I had to put in a pence in a space heater for 30 min. of heat ... a long fall from its petechial of being the Worlds Supper Power... today it’s worse

• 3d

@goodlongman you’ve strayed far from your point and original stance. And failed to answer my questions. Just a flooding of crap.
      You now are stating from your experience in the U. K there is no help or support. You’ve failed to tell me how I can afford and physically care for elderly and my own father while working. You make me out to be the bad guy and the best thing is, I’m seriously ill myself (which I didn’t mention) but I’m still superwoman printing money in your eyes. What’s your solution, oh great flee-er?

• People should be responsible in general.
    We all age.
    Elderly will have to make sure, that they did the right choices in life so they can fully support themselves in their remaining days and NOT rely on anybody else. This includes owning a property and having passive revenues. As for me since I'm a low class citizen born in a lower class family i may never retire in my life.

1|1
    0|0
    • 5d

Right on

• Show All
    • 5d

You are most welcome, but never sell yourself short. Clarence Thomas was the son of a single mother born in the ghetto as an example of one. We each can choose our own futures, much of it depends on how we view ourselves. As a teacher I see children who don’t apply themselves and give up; others have never learned in years pass and were just passed to the next grade anyway, without a foundation they are destine for failure, but in latter life these same children overcame the systems failures to achieve mush in their lives. So please don’t look at your circumstances and give up, fight and be the best you can be.

• 4d

@goodlongman I'm already on it. Appreciated.
      I just like being realistic. Anything else doesn't work for me.

I aim to earn tons of money, so that i won't have to pay for rent. Some said an MBA is the way to go to become rich.

Too bad that jobs are so imbalanced in salaries vs type of labor as well as labor efforts.

• A mixture depending on the situation. The person themselves is responsible unless they are unable, in which case the family should step in but if for whatever reasons they can't/refuse/the person doesn't have any family then government should try to help but only as a last resort.

1|1
    0|0
  • Care of the elderly is not an issue in traditional societies, it is and should be done by family. It is the self-obsessed West that wants to farm off care of the elderly to the government, and given the cost of such care, results in other things which need funding being neglected.

2|1
    0|1
  • Government. That's the best way to insure that people get treated with the best respect in their golden years, respect they deserve for having been part of building our countries, defending our freedom, values and rights.

1|0
    1|1
    • 5d

The governments we have now days NO WAY...

When I lived in Michigan there was a woman with her 2 young children seeking permission to kill her old mother saying this was what she wanted... that was in the 90's now it's law in 7 states

• 5d

The government has not legal involvement it caring for the elderly, unless there is no family to care for them.

• 5d

@goodlongman I'm not American. And I'm not referring to America.

• For the most part I think their young selves should have in that they should save up for retirement. While I'm a big advocate of providing welfare for people who can't work and universal access to medical care those mostly apply to situations where the choice is taken away from someone. If you PLAN not to work then it's your responsibility to save money to get you through that period of time.

1|0
    0|0
  • Everyone should care... but almost nobody does...

Now ya all talking big things, but trust me, if you get the case, government and friends will let you fall like a hot potatoes and you will deal all at yourself until your nerves can't hold it anymore

Thats why so much people are grumpy, they know what they can expect from their last 15 years... and as I see it is suicide a better option than every home for elders I've ever seen... but pls change my mind

1|0
    1|1
    • 5d

When I lived in Michigan there was a woman with her 2 young children seeking permission to kill her old mother saying this was what she wanted... that was in the 90's now it's law in 7 states

• Show All
    • 5d

What is the purpose of government? Does it exist to support the people who live within its borders (free medical, free schooling, free cell phones, free electric, free internet, on and on and on)? Or is it there to protect its citizens from foreign or domestic enemies. To promote the public good: to promote a sound economy: to secure safe cities to live in free from crime; to provide safe roadways free of criminals and transportation systems to facilitate the transportation of goods and services; To provide justice: The laws must be applied equally to all citizens. To punish criminal activity to deter it from being done in the first place. So, what is the purpose of governments?

• 4d

When I look at governments these days and how they act, I need to ask too, whats the reason again why we needs them... they still give a fck about non-rich people

• This is tough but I guess we all we have to coz whatever we have or trying to have we're gaining to loose it & we're going to get old sick and die. We don't realize this fact coz we're young & capable at the moment but one day would cone when we're weak & nobody wiki what us need us & we'd be left alone in waiting for our time to come.. This reminds me of Buddha how he escaped from his palace & saw the reality of life

1|0
    0|1
  • My Late Maternal Grandparents helped take care of us kids
    my mom , so in return when they got sick we took care of them
    and i had the most loving Grandparents , they are the the first
    ones i want see when i go to Heaven.

1|0
    0|0
  • This is really a good question.

1. The family & the elderly;
    If they elderly don’t need 24/7 care and only needs a bit of help like getting groceries or walking around then the family can help out but if the elderly can walk/cook and shower and all that stuff then they can fend for them self until they get sicker
    2. The government if they need care 24/7 and needs meals, diapers and all that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Families. They are the pnes who should best know what they need. The problem we face now is people being too busy (or claiming to be) and not enough of the younger generation as birth rates decline.

1|1
    0|0
    • 5d

• It's being Done, Hun, By Everyone But... If you can Get Medicaid, Great Aid!! xx

1|0
    0|0
  • Family and they themselves. If these two options are not available the government should ensure they are taken care of.

1|0
    0|0
  • The government is legally obliged to take care of the elderly. At least where I live. But ideally, it'd be nice if your family could also be there for you. But sometimes that is not possible.

1|0
    0|0
    • 5d

Where do you live? The government has not legal involvement it caring for the elderly, unless there is no family to care for them.

• Show All
    • 5d

Last sentence, sir.

• 5d

Yes, I saw that but it did not sound like this was something you wanted to do... if I miss read you, please forgive me and good for you I would hope that the Dominican Republic would look at their policies that removes the family from responsibility.

• They already paid for it through the government in the US. The problem is corrupt politicians stealing all the money.

2|0
    0|0
  • My grandma is 95 and has bad dementia. It's kinder for them to be with family.

1|1
    0|0
  • It usually depends on how difficult the elderly are. My maternal grandma is 95 and she definitely needs help. My family usually helps her get around.

1|1
    0|0
  • Family and/or self. The government's job is to protect people and their property, not financially rape citizens because others are lazy or inept.

1|1
    0|2
  • The elderly themselves until they can’t then the family

1|1
    0|1
  • Families but the sad truth is a lot of families don't want to look after the elderly.

2|1
    0|0
    • 5d

• The elderly themselves.
    Unless they were good to their family. As such, my sister can look after our mother if the need arises.

1|0
    0|0
  • A mix of all three, but I would say the government has a role and they've been neglecting it. Many seniors in our country are facing malnourishment, and a large number of them cannot afford their prescription drugs. What many seniors get from social security is not enough to live a dignified life, I've heard of some getting 13k a year.

Nobody should have to go through their golden age struggling to pay rent, with empty fridges. Certainly not in the wealthiest country in the world.

Many seniors in this country face elder abuse, and living in nursing homes actually correlates to shortened lifespans.

I'm not saying there isn't personal responsibility that should go in hand, retirement planning and family planning are very important. But please don't underestimate how critical programs like medicare, social security, etc are -- or the work that social workers and caretakers do.

2|0
    0|0
    • 5d

• Retirement homes. Change their dipers and everything.

1|0
    0|0
  • Families. But if they have none I think we as a societie need to help out to a certain extent.

1|0
    0|1
    • 5d

• The government taking care og 5 million while familes will take care of 70 million in their home

1|0
    0|0
    • 5d

• Show All
    • 5d

I tried to look up "$2,000 rule" but could not find it... not certain what you are saying

• 5d

If you make $2 000 in grose income. Then you can get food. Medicine a home. Services to doctor and co pay help. You can have a family member serve you in care and get a paychecks from government. The rule you can't look up on Google you have to ho to fsmily services. They will say they can't help you you income to high

• Whomever needs to be in the particular situation.

1|0
    0|0
  • Family.

1|2
    0|1
  • I think it should be a mix of all of that

1|0
    0|0
    • 5d

• the family

1|2
    0|1
  • Their kids and the government

1|0
    0|1
    • 5d

• 5d

@goodlongman depends on the country

• 5d

• All 3

1|1
    0|0
    • 5d

• Nope I am sending my mama back home.

1|0
    0|0
  • Ideally, all of the above.

1|0
    0|0
  • The families

0|0
    1|0
  • Just like they took care of me when I was young, I will take care of them when they’re old, even if I can’t financially support it. There’s no way my family is going into a care home, it’s not from our manners or morals.

1|1
    0|0
  • If an elderly person cannot manage to support themselves, (which they should have set up for ahead of time) the. The family should step in to assist as they can. If the government needs to step in to pay for someone who has contributed all they ever will to the world financially, and the family doesn't have the means and/or desire to take care of them, I don't think the government should get involved at all. Many are strictly a drain on the economy, and are not giving anything back, and I see no reason to take care of them.

1|1
    1|1
    • 6d

there's not much difference between the families taking care of the elderly or the governemnt. It's still the same amount of money and work but it will strain the families a lot more as they have other jobs so they can actually get an income and they can't do full time taking care of their elderly so it would be better if you got a system such homes for elderly were people are employed full time to care of them.

• Show All
    • 5d

@weirdoweirdo yes, but if the family is willing to take care of them, they have a social and interpersonal value to the family.

• 5d

Right on

Recommended myTakes