Are there people who should not be allowed to be parents?

Do you know someone who is a lousy parent? Do you think people wanting to be parents should be required to pass a government exam, like a driver's license? Should there be a restriction on the number of children you can have based on your total household income and how many you can support?

• Yes, some people should not be parents.
    Vote A
  • Yes, people should be required to pass a government exam
    Vote B
  • Yes, people should not be allowed to have more children then they can support.
    Vote C
  • No. I believe in the freedom to make their own choices.
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
23h
Not sure if this impacts anyone's answers, but you can choose mor than one answer!

3|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I think that that idea flies in the face of free will that we have in the US. First off, I think that a govt exam can quickly turn into a master race type of scenario where only certain ethnicities and races are allowed to breed. Not only that, but there are multiple ways to parent and just because one person's way doesn't match the test exactly doesn't mean that they're necessarily wrong. There's also the fact that not everyone is a good test taker and some people have learning disabilities like dyslexia which would make an exam harder to pass. Then we're also looking at the govt deciding who is competent enough to breed. I dont think capping your number of kids by income is a good idea either. Many lower income families find happiness in the simple things in life like family since it is really the only thing they have. A lot of rich people dont want a lot of kids. Noone should be forced into or out of having the number of kids they desire. Also what happens if a non approved person gets pregnant or has one too many pregnancies by mistake? Will we force abortions or adoptions or will we mass sterilize as a preventive measure? I think this would be too risky and not in the best interest for the common person. Instead there should be more free classes and other information such as informational pamphlets. Sometimes all someone needs to be a good or better parent is the right basic information.

0|2
    0|0
    • 6d

I'm not saying I support exams in order to have kids, but there are tests that must be passed to drive a car; is that bad because it technically flies in the face of free will?

• 6d

To be the devil's advocate, what about the taxpayer's burden on healthcare & social welfare systems or the unmeasurable harm caused by bad parents on their children? Why should a nation pay for someone's children when the parents cannot take care of or afford them? Shouldn't individuals take responsibility for what they brought into this world?

• 6d

I'm just saying putting tests and regulations on procreation could lead to a lot of evil from the government. Not only does it take away free will, which is one of the main tenets of this nation, I think that doing this could lead to attempts at ethnic cleansing, discrimination against people with preexisting health conditions from having kids, and other discriminatory actions. Think about the holocaust for a moment. If someone with similar ideology to Hitler was in government, these sorts of evil discriminatory actions would be in the works. The thing is that evil people will not just come out and say they have horrible views. They will be charismatic and gain your trust, and most people will not put two and two together until atrocities have already been committed. Think that the human race is too "evolved" for things like ethnic cleansing at this point? Think that things like this could never happened in the "enlightened" nowadays? Think again. People who wish to commit evil will be counting on you to be unsuspecting and gullible as they gain power. This is why you need to pay close attention to politicians and the things they say and do. Sometimes it's just subtle things they say and do that can tip you off to ulterior motives if you pay close enough attention.

• Yes, there are people that in theory should not be allowed to have children but in denying these individuals this freedom under some arbitrary law, my worry with a state exam or a financial requirement is that it would quickly be abused by those in power. Imagine we set a financial limit of 50K a year. This would eliminate childbirth for whole populations of people, many of them minority populations----you see where that can quickly go. Who and how does one decide just how much money is needed??

Second, just because one could potentially pass a one day exam or come up with the money in time for it to be verified, that doesn't mean they will have that type of money every year and there is nothing to say that money or brains exclude one permanently from becoming violent, a pedophile, abusive, dead beats, a bad parent, or drug dependent. There is no bar we can use to specifically say prior to having children that a potential parent will or won't be good at it and there is also no conclusive evidence that being poor automatically means a parent will be awful or unable to properly raise their children or that their circumstances can't change.

1|2
    0|0
    • 7d

All valid points, but weigh that against the cost and burden to society. Aren't reducing crime and healthcare costs worth it?

• Show All
    • 6d

I think you are correct. But this is still a massive burden on society and one of the largest problems to be resolved.

• 6d

The first step to the solution is talking about it. I don't claim to have the answer... yet! LOL!

Most Helpful Guy

• While some people do not have what it takes to be a parent, licensing of parents is not something that can be done without the government or an NGO responsible for licencing unfairly discriminating against people. We can already see that certain groups of people ( e. g religious groups) are discriminated against when trying to adopt children. Also, what would you do if someone who didn't pass the test has children - would you take their children?

0|1
    0|0
    • 7d

How about a watchdog agency that monitors child welfare?

• Show All
    • 6d

That does not necessarily mean their intervention was not warranted.

• 6d

Yes.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Yes, some people should not be parents. But no parent is perfect. It is a learning curve like everything else in life, and we need to reteach the things our ancestors have done, which is PREPARE our children for parenthood and marriage. We don't do that anymore, and this is why so many people fail in relationships, fail at marriage, fail at sex and fail as parents when they become one. The government should NOT be raising our children!

2|3
    0|0
    • 7d

I am not worried about inexperienced parents who realistic mistakes. I am much concerned with those who never should have children because of crimes and incredible costs to the victims and society.

• Show All
    • 7d

There's no such thing as asexuality in a human being. If that's the case then we will be like plants and procreate ourselves. You need to have sex with each other and be sexual in order for you to actually have children

• 7d

I mean they don’t talk about it

• Yes, my friends sister doesn't want to any girls. She just wants boys which her first kid is a boy. She wants to try for a second one and hopes it will be a boy. She said if it's a girl she'll put it in the oven and kill it. In my mind I'm like wtf is wrong with you, you are crazy. I hope someone takes the poor baby away from her. Like put her up for adoption you freaking weirdo. Dont kill her.

0|2
    0|0
  • YES, to all above!!! I have noticed a horrible uptick in child abuse, neglect and murder cases. I have also been a member of GAG for a couple of years and I swear some of the people who are obviously adults in the eyes of the law are screwing and they have no clue. You have women who don't know the difference between their vagina from their vulva. You have women who think that Plan B is an acceptable primary form of birth control. The men are not much better because they try and guilt trip the women into being allowed to not use condoms.

I have NEVER had any desire to have kids. When I turned 37, I was diagnosed with a rare genetic connective tissue disease that would most certainly be passed down. I live in chronic pain and I have already had a brain surgery, hip replacement and 28 other surgeries. I couldn't bare to see a child suffer the way I have.

I tell ever young woman that I meet who have not had kids and who have this disease not to have kids. I had a chance encounter with a women who had been diagnosed with every bullshit diagnosis they could come up with. The minute I saw her I said to her you have Ehlers Danlos. Unfortunately she had already had 2 autistic kids from a previous marriage. She was recently married to another man. I begged her not to have anymore kids. Well of course she didn't listen to me. She almosted died carrying this kid and this kid has worse autism than the other two. She is in such a deep state of depression because she feels guilty for not listening to me. All of her kids are not high functioning and all three need special schooling. It pisses me off but what can I do. My taxpayer dollars at work. End of rant.

3|0
    0|0
  • Ooooffff, that's a complicated question for me to answer because I believe in the freedom of choice but at the same time, there are people out there who shouldn't be raising human beings, there are people out there who complain about not having money and then have more kids. So, I'm conflicted

0|2
    0|0
  • Some people shouldn't be parents, especially people with mental illnesses that can cause physical and mental abuse to a child. People who are pedophiles, people who have killed children, people irresponsible and selfish who use children for money

0|1
    0|0
  • There are chomos who pin down 8 year old girls and have sex with them. They should be allowed to have kinds because thats denying someone humanity if they can't have sex. But they shouldn't be listed as the legal guardian or a parent. Or have visitation rights.

0|0
    0|1
    • 7d

Hmm. I don't anyone has the right to have sex with an 8 year old child, regardless of the culture. Do you?

• 7d

I didn't mean with an eight year old dude. I ment legal consented sex with an adult. And maybe having an offspring with them.

• It makes me sick that people believe the government should be regulating our sex lives. We are all so fuckin ignorant lol. Uhg it’s just disgusting. This world is going in a bad direction if the majority of people believe this crap.

1|1
    1|0
  • Do I think the system in place help motivates people to do themselves better no. But that doesn’t mean everyone using the system wants to stay in it forever. I do think it makes sense not to create life when you can’t support yourself. The big lie is that everyone can & should have children. It is so far from accurate. If it was truthful the foster care system wouldn’t be overflowing. We wouldn’t have adults today telling stories of their childhood watching negative behaviors displayed by their parents. The abuse & negect couldn’t take place if every human was able to be a good parent. I see friends of poor parenting people tell them how great they are at it. Meanwhile they don’t check their child’s homework, read to them, discipline them or spend quality time knowing their ever changing children. It’s an awful problem really. But how could we stop it from repeating I wouldn’t base it in income apart from reasonably being capable of providing for their family. I might make parenting courses mandatory. Because how could practice, knowledge & resources ever hurt? I might make it similar to gaining a license for something. Preparing people could help I believe. How would we establish new rules surrounding having children. I don’t know but I do think something should be done.

0|0
    0|0
  • In an ideal world, all of the above. Far too many children are being brought into the world by unfit parents, it’s cruel to do so and leads to an increase in cost to the government, mental health issues and societal impact.
    That said though, it’s not a realistic solution unfortunately. Where would the lines be between the test to parent and freedom of choice? To vaccinate or not? Raise them vegan, Christian or Muslim?
    How would the aging population support itself if it were to suddenly drop?
    It’s got merit though... yesterday I saw a young looking mum with 4 kids, the youngest was a baby that couldn’t yet walk and he was drinking Coke 🤦🏻‍♀️

3|4
    0|0
  • Narcissists, sociopaths, psychopaths, abusers, anti-vaxxers, irresponsible people, controlling people, people who are at risk of having their child genetically inherit their disease (adoption does not count), etc.

3|1
    0|0
  • No, because the left would use this as a weapon.
    The easiest way to curb unfit parents is to end parental welfare payments.

1|2
    1|0
  • If someone is racist sexist, if someone is violent, or really doesn’t know how to even handle their own life let alone a life of a new born, please don’t have children. The next generation shouldn’t be acting like our generation and I’m in my early 30s and find many problems within my own generation. This hate speech and picking and choosing sides of what government to choose is retarded in its own right, people don’t get that they will normalize their behaviour, teach it to their kids and then kids will want to embody those same values as well and to me that’s called a wasted generation.

I don’t give a fuck who thumbs down my comment, I’m not going to normalize hate, why should I? Because someone who is racist has this ideology to think their superior when in reality there not, if the economy fucks up, society gets fucked up, except the rich they will still prosper. I’ve learned religion, politics and law, I am a chill guy and I’m fair but I will be strict if I have kids that they show respect to others and work hard.

0|0
    0|0
  • i think there are some people who for sure should not even be allowed near a kid, but how can you enforce who has kids or not? there's no way you can enforce or regulate people's sex lives akd their use of contraceptives.

0|1
    0|0
  • Pedophiles
    Abusers
    Dead beats
    Emotionally and mentally unstable people.
    Aloof or cold people

2|4
    0|0
  • Yes, I agree with the first three poll options. However, option 3 would have discluded me at the time I had my child. I needed three years to finish college and get started in my career so I could afford to support my daughter as a single parent.

0|0
    0|0
  • at least 85% of this site is who i'd considered unqualified to breed or teach

2|1
    0|0
  • More government is never the answer. It is always the problem.
    Should races you don't like be permitted to reproduce?
    Should non-heterosexuals be forceably sterilized?
    Should religions or political viewpoints you disagree with be outlawed?
    See how that works?

0|0
    0|0
  • I think there should a course with stimulated situations, babysitter course and a training babyrobot, that they have to take care of for 1 1/2 months to experience toddler, child and teenager.

0|1
    0|0
  • Unfortunately, I personally know numerous people who are clearly unfit parents and people who are too selfish to bring children into this world. Oh, well...

0|2
    0|0
  • I firmly believe that every couple should be tested before they want to have a baby, and especially if they are cousins or somehow belong in the family tree. And I do believe that more than one or two generations of cousin marriage should be banned, IDC how harsh it sounds. Cousin marriages taking place over and over again
    in a family can be detrimental.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

I also believe that during pregnancy the parents should take part in some kind of counseling or parenting workshop.

• I would simply put a test in my nation..
    If they pass the test then..
    They need to prove they can provide for the babies needs and maintain a good physical and mental environment for the baby..
    Then they need to go through a training program and finish it..
    And then they will be certified to have a baby..
    But if they want another baby they just need to prove about.. Their financial stability and environment and then they can even have 10 Kids..
    I don't have restrictions until 10 Kids..

0|0
    0|0
  • Clearly me. I am not smart or very motherly. I even lost one today. I got fired again from a nanny job. Honestly I see a long lonely life ahead of me. Maybe if I am luck I get to die early. Life pretty much pointless. I am not smart enough or pretty. I am pretty much useless. I am not at good at anything or passionate in anything. I never wanted anything. If I die tommrow would it make me happy? Honestly, I have a hard time loving anyone or anything. Maybe I am crazy. People like me who aren’t affection, compassionate, uneducated, dependent, depressed all their lives, living off their parents, can’t drive... should have kids... I mean I can’t even lose my virginity even if I wanted to... that’s how I affection I am... the thought of anyone before my nice to me puts me off. People like me probably mess up their kids or beat them or to lazy to even take them for a walk

1|0
    0|1
    • 7d

I had a mental I’ll aunt who killed all her babies out of rage because they won’t stop crying. Or do they say.

• Show All
    • 6d

One day at a time. Please focus on right here and right now.

• 6d

I did I had a bad day yesterday

• Of course. There are too many people with severe mental problems that they haven't dealt with and end up projecting it onto their kids, not enough resources to raise children and so many more things could be wrong with the person.

0|1
    0|0
    • 6d

You’re right. Even having resources doesn’t mean that a person is ready to be a parent.

• Well I'd say having more kids than you can handle is a bad idea but parents nowadays actually could handle their kids perhaps. It really depends what their kids grow up to be overtime while the amount of infants is really a different thing like I ink my friend Imary got a bunch of kids and she's never complained about it so I guess having a bunch of kids is not the problem the real problem that can apply is the amount of support the parent chooses to give

0|0
    0|0
  • Uh, yeah-- millions upon millions of them. Unfortunately there's no such thing as licensing biology, nor should there be. People should just be smart enough to sexually police themselves, which sadly will never happen.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely, yes. Ideally some 50% of people should never reproduce.

1|2
    0|1
  • Of course. People that are too poor to raise them correctly, deficient people, or people known to have problems with children, like child beating, pedophilia, etc.

1|0
    0|0
  • 1&3 for sure. A mental capacity exam should also be required

1|1
    0|0
  • There are some people that just are not fit or prepared to be parents. The issue comes in when this needs to be measured, or controlled. Because there really is no moral way to do either of these things. People have the freedom to make their own decisions so long as those decision do not directly harm others. The decision to become a parent when you know you cannot financially support a child is cruel to not only yourself but your child as well. The decision to become a parent when you cannot support a child in any way wether it be emotionally physically or financially is the same.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course there are. Glad we agree on something. Eugenics strengthens any society. I would go about it by incentive rather than force of law of course.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say some shouldn't be but the list on which we base a person's right to be a parent would change my answer, also I don't think having kids is a right but infact a privilege some don't have (of course there are those who don't want kids).

I also think good kids come from bad parents, happens in my family too.

So when weighing everything I'd say we shouldn't dictate who can't and can have kids but instead offer support in school or youth clubs so kids can learn to be responsible/good parents in the future and parents know how to care for kids properly.

This also depends on what you mean by bad parents. E. g alcoholic, abusive, strict, religious (some people think religious people shouldn't have kids), disability ( some people with disabilities wether mental or physical want kids, should we say no to them), morals ( parents pass their morals to their kids), etc.

0|0
    1|0
    • 7d

Do people hate disabilities people. or learning disabilities people? There are people too.

• 7d

@CandacePerry
      True, but some people think people with disabilities shouldn't have kids cuz "they can't take care of themselves"

• 7d

I am happy with myself and I learning disabilities and know lot more from relationship and work in 2 jobs.

• Wow. I'm the one man who believed in peoples freedom to make choices. Clearly only the cool chicks stopped by today

0|0
    2|1
  • I think most people should be allowed to be parents, except for severe drug addicts or mentally challenged people. If a person cannot live on their own and will never be able to raise a kid in any way, they shouldn't become pregnant. If they are almost certain to damage the kid with drugs before it is even born into their messed up environment, same story. I think I could come up with a few more examples.

All 'normal' people should just be allowed to do whatever they want though. It should be a free choice for free people.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't trust some people with a house plant let alone a child.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I know quite a few people who should've been sterilized.
    Some are shitty parents that prefer to party and buy themselves fancy clothing while their children are wearing rags. And some just are plain ol out and out mean and expect too much from the child using them like servants.
    It's a damn shame. I see it all the time.
    I saw a woman in the store who just walked away from her toddler and the kid was really upset, the mother was 3 isles over from where the child was. She eventually turned to look at her kid who wasn't beside her. I got pissed and told her "It's about time you look for your kid" and of course the kid had bright green snot pouring out of his nose. But did she wipe his nose of course she didn't. I felt so bad for the child.

0|0
    0|0
    • 7d

Now she may have just gotten back from taking the child to the doctor and needed a few groceries sure I can dig that but still

• I like the idea of of testing for competency. 👍

0|3
    0|0
  • I believe it is for the common good of the people both in high-medium social economic levels.

People with very low income who can barely feed themselves and their partner should not be allowed to have children because, how will they pay for the care? The GoVeRnMeNt!

Exactly, and it is not fair to those that work hard, to our parents that are in meetings all days in corporate offices to have to deal about their individual taxes are being used to father children that the parents were so selfless.

I think anyone who gets WIC, EBT, Gov’t assistance should pass a Controlled-substance test (Cocaine, Meth, heroin, etc) upon violation they’re suitable for children- UNLESS they are educated in the drug abuse AND must be clean for 6-8 months and a sponsor-contract for 2 years.

0|0
    0|0
  • Anyone mad their child wasn't the desired biological sex per chromosomes who then grooms the child into feeling ashamed of who they are, convinces them they should want to be the other, demands that everyone else pay for them to forcibly inject their kids with dangerous hormone blockers that can kill the kid, demands the jailing of anyone who uses the "wrong " pronoun, then demands everyone celebrate them for their "inclusiveness " and "virtue " not only doesn't deserve to be a parent, but is a mortal threat to the republic itself and deserves the electric chair.

0|0
    0|0
  • With option B what if some one ends up pregnant with twins, triplets, quadruplets or more but can only afford less than they are pregnant with?

0|0
    0|0
  • I've always thought there should be some sort of test to determine if people would be suitable parents.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah! The one's that abort their child because it's inconvenient.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nobody should've been allowed to have kids after the year 2000

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, people with genetic diseases should not reproduce. That way we would get rid of a lot of nasty diseases easily.

0|0
    0|0
  • the concept of acquiring a license to have children based on a brief evaluation of someones life would eliminate a ton of issues of the world.

However (based on Anarchy) there is no possible way that the gov't will be able to efficiently control this. Instead of losers thinking twice about having children they will realize that the only reason the license program is there is for the gov't to corruptly earn profit.
    There is absolutely nothing on the planet that the gov't offered without either wanting to enslave people or take their money.

So no.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, since so many "parents" are just sperm and egg donors nowadays. Then the kids become bullies as a result of their neglectful upringing.

0|0
    0|0
  • No government tests because then it would just be whoever is in political power would try to increase their base by only allowing them to be parents. It would be dumb like that, just like how liberals want illegals to vote in CA.
    The only people I think shouldn't be allowed to be parents are retarded people that can't legitimately function enough to be fully self sufficient. They can sometimes be a danger to themselves and others and they would produce children that would be the same. I used to have a friend that was slightly retarded in high school and he nearly set my house on fire one time. He did accidentally set his parents' house on fire twice just through negligence.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yup there are idiots that cannot take care of a child and shouldn't get one. Also people who abuse their children

0|0
    0|0
  • I think at least 50% of parents shouldn't have had kids including my own parents.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, rapists, murderers, excessive gamblers and abusers should not be parents.

1|0
    0|0
  • Most definitely there are people that shouldn't have children. I know a few who are lousy parents.

0|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes