Are there people who should not be allowed to be parents?

Do you know someone who is a lousy parent? Do you think people wanting to be parents should be required to pass a government exam, like a driver's license? Should there be a restriction on the number of children you can have based on your total household income and how many you can support?

• Yes, some people should not be parents.
  • Yes, people should be required to pass a government exam
  • Yes, people should not be allowed to have more children then they can support.
    Vote C
  • No. I believe in the freedom to make their own choices.
    Vote D
23h
Not sure if this impacts anyone's answers, but you can choose mor than one answer!

4848

Most Helpful Girls

• I think that that idea flies in the face of free will that we have in the US. First off, I think that a govt exam can quickly turn into a master race type of scenario where only certain ethnicities and races are allowed to breed. Not only that, but there are multiple ways to parent and just because one person's way doesn't match the test exactly doesn't mean that they're necessarily wrong. There's also the fact that not everyone is a good test taker and some people have learning disabilities like dyslexia which would make an exam harder to pass. Then we're also looking at the govt deciding who is competent enough to breed. I dont think capping your number of kids by income is a good idea either. Many lower income families find happiness in the simple things in life like family since it is really the only thing they have. A lot of rich people dont want a lot of kids. Noone should be forced into or out of having the number of kids they desire. Also what happens if a non approved person gets pregnant or has one too many pregnancies by mistake? Will we force abortions or adoptions or will we mass sterilize as a preventive measure? I think this would be too risky and not in the best interest for the common person. Instead there should be more free classes and other information such as informational pamphlets. Sometimes all someone needs to be a good or better parent is the right basic information.

• 6d

I'm not saying I support exams in order to have kids, but there are tests that must be passed to drive a car; is that bad because it technically flies in the face of free will?

• 6d

To be the devil's advocate, what about the taxpayer's burden on healthcare & social welfare systems or the unmeasurable harm caused by bad parents on their children? Why should a nation pay for someone's children when the parents cannot take care of or afford them? Shouldn't individuals take responsibility for what they brought into this world?

• 6d

I'm just saying putting tests and regulations on procreation could lead to a lot of evil from the government. Not only does it take away free will, which is one of the main tenets of this nation, I think that doing this could lead to attempts at ethnic cleansing, discrimination against people with preexisting health conditions from having kids, and other discriminatory actions. Think about the holocaust for a moment. If someone with similar ideology to Hitler was in government, these sorts of evil discriminatory actions would be in the works. The thing is that evil people will not just come out and say they have horrible views. They will be charismatic and gain your trust, and most people will not put two and two together until atrocities have already been committed. Think that the human race is too "evolved" for things like ethnic cleansing at this point? Think that things like this could never happened in the "enlightened" nowadays? Think again. People who wish to commit evil will be counting on you to be unsuspecting and gullible as they gain power. This is why you need to pay close attention to politicians and the things they say and do. Sometimes it's just subtle things they say and do that can tip you off to ulterior motives if you pay close enough attention.

• Yes, there are people that in theory should not be allowed to have children but in denying these individuals this freedom under some arbitrary law, my worry with a state exam or a financial requirement is that it would quickly be abused by those in power. Imagine we set a financial limit of 50K a year. This would eliminate childbirth for whole populations of people, many of them minority populations----you see where that can quickly go. Who and how does one decide just how much money is needed??

Second, just because one could potentially pass a one day exam or come up with the money in time for it to be verified, that doesn't mean they will have that type of money every year and there is nothing to say that money or brains exclude one permanently from becoming violent, a pedophile, abusive, dead beats, a bad parent, or drug dependent. There is no bar we can use to specifically say prior to having children that a potential parent will or won't be good at it and there is also no conclusive evidence that being poor automatically means a parent will be awful or unable to properly raise their children or that their circumstances can't change.

• 7d

All valid points, but weigh that against the cost and burden to society. Aren't reducing crime and healthcare costs worth it?

• 6d

I think you are correct. But this is still a massive burden on society and one of the largest problems to be resolved.

• 6d

The first step to the solution is talking about it. I don't claim to have the answer... yet! LOL!

Most Helpful Guy

• While some people do not have what it takes to be a parent, licensing of parents is not something that can be done without the government or an NGO responsible for licencing unfairly discriminating against people. We can already see that certain groups of people ( e. g religious groups) are discriminated against when trying to adopt children. Also, what would you do if someone who didn't pass the test has children - would you take their children?

• 7d

How about a watchdog agency that monitors child welfare?

• 6d

That does not necessarily mean their intervention was not warranted.

• 6d

Yes.