Could you stay friends with someone who has a completely different opinion than you on a controversial topic?

I understand what you're saying, I just can't agree with it.
Pick whatever topic you find to be the most controversial in your mind and imagine debating it with a valued friend. You try and keep it civil for the most part but understand that this topic generates a lot of "passion" from both sides. No matter what you and your friend argue about, you find you can not come to a middle ground or a positive solution for either side of the argument to end it. Leaving both you and your friend extremely disappointed in each other to the point of possibly ending the friendship then and there.

Still you really value your friendship with them and their opinions on everything else. You just can't see eye to eye on this one issue. So the question then becomes: Could you stay friends with someone who has a completely different opinion than you on a controversial topic?
  • Yes
  • Maybe
  • No.
    Vote C

1219

Most Helpful Girls

• The point at which I stopped being friends with one person was the point where their thoughts turned to actions that no longer permitted me and my moral compass to be friends with them especially as these actions personally affected others in my life---a lot of people followed suit on their own. I don't need the world to agree with my every thought. I certainly have people all around me who disagree quite often on big issue items, but I think we all know or have a point where we must decide for ourselves if we are okay being around someone so fundamentally and perhaps morally different than ourselves.

• As long as I’m not being pushed to compromise my morals by this other individual, then that would be fine. I would ask to agree to disagree, and if they’re unwilling to settle for that, then I’d have to say goodbye. A great friendship can be hard to come by, so I wouldn’t want to just throw it away, however if maintaining that friendship requires constant conflict, then it would be best to part ways before bad blood is formed.

Most Helpful Guys

• It depends on the topic.

If I have a "friend" who believes that whites are superior to everyone else and that white people's lives are worth more than those of non-whites by virtue of say eugenics or merit via technological advancement, then no, I couldn't ever be friends with such a reprehensible, disgusting excuse for a human being.

The reason why should be painfully obvious.

If it was about carbon trading, or environmental warming, or even the laws surrounding legal immigration, I could see perhaps the possibility, however minuscule, of salvaging some semblance of friendship.

• i am anti-democracy, basically everyone has a completely different opinion than me
    So yes, i can stay friends with people lol. The question is can they stay friends with me.