Could you stay friends with someone who has a completely different opinion than you on a controversial topic?

I understand what you're saying, I just can't agree with it.
I understand what you're saying, I just can't agree with it.
Pick whatever topic you find to be the most controversial in your mind and imagine debating it with a valued friend. You try and keep it civil for the most part but understand that this topic generates a lot of "passion" from both sides. No matter what you and your friend argue about, you find you can not come to a middle ground or a positive solution for either side of the argument to end it. Leaving both you and your friend extremely disappointed in each other to the point of possibly ending the friendship then and there.

Still you really value your friendship with them and their opinions on everything else. You just can't see eye to eye on this one issue. So the question then becomes: Could you stay friends with someone who has a completely different opinion than you on a controversial topic?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • Maybe
    Vote B
  • No.
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• The point at which I stopped being friends with one person was the point where their thoughts turned to actions that no longer permitted me and my moral compass to be friends with them especially as these actions personally affected others in my life---a lot of people followed suit on their own. I don't need the world to agree with my every thought. I certainly have people all around me who disagree quite often on big issue items, but I think we all know or have a point where we must decide for ourselves if we are okay being around someone so fundamentally and perhaps morally different than ourselves.

0|1
    0|0
  • As long as I’m not being pushed to compromise my morals by this other individual, then that would be fine. I would ask to agree to disagree, and if they’re unwilling to settle for that, then I’d have to say goodbye. A great friendship can be hard to come by, so I wouldn’t want to just throw it away, however if maintaining that friendship requires constant conflict, then it would be best to part ways before bad blood is formed.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• It depends on the topic.

If I have a "friend" who believes that whites are superior to everyone else and that white people's lives are worth more than those of non-whites by virtue of say eugenics or merit via technological advancement, then no, I couldn't ever be friends with such a reprehensible, disgusting excuse for a human being.

The reason why should be painfully obvious.

If it was about carbon trading, or environmental warming, or even the laws surrounding legal immigration, I could see perhaps the possibility, however minuscule, of salvaging some semblance of friendship.

0|1
    0|0
  • i am anti-democracy, basically everyone has a completely different opinion than me
    So yes, i can stay friends with people lol. The question is can they stay friends with me.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Hmm that really depends... Different opinions are mostly fine with me, but there are some opinions that are so stupid (to my opinion) that I really can't take those people seriously. Like the idea of the man as the boss, the one who earns the money, decides everything because that's how it 'should' be. Really can't stand people who have opinions like that😅

0|1
    0|0
  • As long as i'm not being forced to agree with the person or follow their ideologies we're all good !
    And yes i do have friends like that and it doesn't matter

0|3
    0|0
  • It depends. Some people I just don't associate myself with bc ik how its gonna end up so no point in even trying to be "friends". If its just a simple disagreement on like I don't know some conspiracy theory then I can care less if they dnt agree and we cn still be cool with eachother

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes why not
    One of my very good friends is someone who is completely against strippers and sex workers she just can't stand them but she is very good friend of mine and has even many times picked me up from my club

0|1
    0|0
    • 9 d ago

Seriously? Why is she against them? And what is her attitude towards you?

• Show All
    • 9 d ago

@Grond21 yup thats right

• 9 d ago

Cool

• As long as they don't shove their opinion in my face, and remain respectful about it. I will listen to anything anyone has to say, just don't expect me to agree with you. And if you want a debate, I'll be happy to oblige. Just remain respectful of my differing opinion, and I will respect yours.

0|1
    0|0
  • My best friend is liberal and has different political beliefs than I do. We just don’t talk politics much.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, differences of opinions are fine so long as you can respect eachothers positions you don't have to agree.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends how extreme they are when dealing with someone who opposes their views

0|1
    0|0
  • I expect a lot of no answers but i have a friend who is like this. His political views are far more right wing then my own. As long as we don't lose respect for eachother i think we will stay friends

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on how annoying they are about it. I can and will agree to disagree but if they conatantly have to bring it up I would probably avoid them.

0|1
    0|0
  • My best friends are smokers and I'm not, but since they respect my choice and don't push anything on me we still get along great

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, it gives you perspectives from both sides on topics.

It allows you to see why other people think the way they do and give you new ideas.

0|1
    0|0
  • If you can't agree to disagree then you won't get anywhere

0|1
    0|0
  • yes and i have friends who r like that. as long as its a respectable and doesn't go below the belt.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, just dont talk about it.

0|1
    0|1
  • Yes as long as they are respectful about it 💜💙💚

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes cuz everyone is different.

0|1
    0|0
  • It would depend on why they see things that way.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah why not

1|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, sure we can agree to disagree.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. Friendship should have healthy debate

0|1
    0|0
  • That's very easy.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes as long as he/she isn't an ass about it.

0|1
    0|0
  • If it's some immoral disgusting view then no..

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. They often make the best friends.

0|1
    0|0
  • As long as there Is mutual respect

0|1
    0|0
  • Probably not. I wouldn't respect them

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes